If Leon beats nate and Wonderboy beats burns

• Thread starter Deleted member 512089
  • Start date
Beating Burns is 10x more impressive than beating Nate at this point

Absolutely, but it still needs to be evaluated in context. Leon is a new, rising contender on an extended unbeaten streak. WB has been there and come up just short, then lost a few. A three fight streak over Luque, Neal and Burns would be extremely impressive and worthy of an opportunity, but I don’t think you automatically need to leapfrog Leon simply because Burns > Nate Diaz.

A win over Nate means absolutely fucking nothing lol

Wrong. Masvidal is getting b2b title shots for a cut stoppage against Nate. Leon TKOs or subs him and he's getting the next 3 title shots

Last edited:
Leon deserves to be next in line IMO. WB has had his chance to challenge previously, has had ups and downs recently, and is at a stage where he can take 6-12 months off to wait. Conversely, Leon is in his prime, is on a tremendous winning streak, and just had to sit on the sidelines for far too long.

In the scenario you lay out, I think it would come down to (1) style points, (2) logistics and (3) negotiations. If Leon grinds out a tedious decision over an outmatched Nate, while WB styles on Burns and stops him, that will matter. If WB point fights and Burns just can’t hit him, while Leon puts it into overdrive and sparks Nate unconscious, that will matter. And beyond that it will come down to which fight the company can make when the want on the terms they want.

I agree with your second paragraph. How the fights turn out should be considered in that choice.

That's not Leon's fault. He was supposed to fight Woodley when covid hit. Was supposed to fight Khamzat too.

I remember Hendricks/Woodley being booked at UFC 192. A #1 contender bout. Hendricks had to pull out so Woodley got the titleshot in default.

I agree with that.

Let's not act like he didn't refuse wonderboy multiple times in 2020. Because he did and he said himself so on his Twitter.

Leon gets it. His win streak will be 9-0-1 since he lost to Usman, and both the rematch or a grudge fight with Masvidal are compelling.

The Diaz fight is designed to give him a push and a big name on his record.

I could see an argument for either or, I'd say Wonderboy since his streak would be more impressive and he's the only one in the top 5 who hasn't fought Usman yet

If Wonderboy beats Burns there is no question he deserves the title shot. Leon beating Nate is pretty much a guarantee. But shouldn't improve his status in the title hunt.

If Wonderboy wins this fight he'll have beaten Luque, Neal, and Burns in three consecutive fights.
I would give Leon Masvidal. I'm assuming Jorge loses to Usman again. I want to see Leon fight Masvidal Masvidal put his hands on him let's see what happens if they step in the cage.

Good quesiton. Wonderboy would have the most quality wins but Leon will be on a really long run.

I say keep Usman active and give him both. Leon first because I think Usman beats him easier.

They would give it to no one and wait a year for Masvidal to try a 3rd time.

I'd give it to Leon first because of his win streak and because he hasn't fought for the title before.

Wonderboy for sure, he already beat 2 very legit guys in the division and convincingly
hell he deserves a lot more than Masvidal

Why don't they fight each other after they both win, winner gets title shot vs winner of Usman/Mas
Because they both should get title shots and Masvidal has proved you can get a title shot by not fighting.

Leon is on a big win streak so the Usman/Leon rematch should happen, and WB is the only person in the top 5 that Usman hasn't fought before

Who you give the title shot to ? Personnaly i give it to wonderboy as beating nate means nothing as of today and Burns is the last title challenger, beating him is way more meaningful
Colby might leapfrog both and if Usman loses to Mas do they rubber? I rather wait until the Usman/Mas fight is done with before even thinking about this scenario.

Beating burns is more impressive than beating diaz.

Credential wise, I think Leon deserves it way more. A three fight streak vs a nine fight streak is kind of a no brainer.

However, three high quality wins for a 38 year old fighter who's been a long time fan favorite and won't likely have a title run again, that may be worth booking as fan service.

Lol at people saying Wonderboy when he's already had 2 title shots vs a guy who was on a 8 win streak and got fucked the last 2 years and is in his prime.

WB is basically clearing out the bottom half of the division.

They're going to run out of contenders pretty soon.

Colby might leapfrog both and if Usman loses to Mas do they rubber? I rather wait until the Usman/Mas fight is done with before even thinking about this scenario.

If colby doesn't get a fight he's not going to leapfrog anybody soon

Back