If Volk Wins He is The Undisputed GOAT in My Eyes

Also, kind of done with the hypothetical GOAT thing. Does an ant beat a bear despite being p4p stronger?

Unless Volk beats Jon Jones, he's not the GOAT.

<JonesLaugh>

I'm more interested to see if the UFC will actually let him try to defend both belts at the same time. They've never let anyone do that before, right?

Also, kind of done with the hypothetical GOAT thing. Does an ant beat a bear despite being p4p stronger?

Unless Volk beats Jon Jones, he's not the GOAT.

<JonesLaugh>
Uh, what? Ants and bears aren't even cloae to the same size difference as Volk and Machachev. That's like 1000x vs 1.1x

Also I'm pretty sure Ngannou destroys Jones in a fight and KOs him

Islam looks good no doubt but beating a guy with a resume like his wouldn’t make volk the goat. He has better wins than islam already and is one of the all time greats already.

They wouldn't even allow Aldo to challenge for the LW belt unless he agreed to vacate his FW belt first.

Exactly. If volk wins, we're potentially on unprecedented grounds. I know Volk is dead set on trying to defend both belts, but I really don't think the UFC would let him. I'd be shocked if they do.

Uh, what? Ants and bears aren't even cloae to the same size difference as Volk and Machachev. That's like 1000x vs 1.1x

Also I'm pretty sure Ngannou destroys Jones in a fight and KOs him
Just an analogy of my point. And Jones vs Ngannou is a whole other discussion, but if Volk beating Ngannou makes him the best, lets go with that.

P4P is an argument about who's the best in a controlled, all things equal, environment. But its not the real world. If an openweight tourney happened today, does Volk win?

Just an analogy of my point. And Jones vs Ngannou is a whole other discussion, but if Volk beating Ngannou makes him the best, lets go with that.

P4P is an argument about who's the best in a controlled, all things equal, environment. But its not the real world. If an openweight tourney happened today, does Volk win?
Idk man, if a smaller guy can beat a bigger guy I always give credit to the smaller guy, that's just how I view fighting.

Idk man, if a smaller guy can beat a bigger guy I always give credit to the smaller guy, that's just how I view fighting.
I agree with this 100% when those fights actually happen. And who knows, Volk could always pull a Minowaman.

I just think too much stock gets put into the P4P discussion. Especially when Islam is calling for the fight for this P4P cred that is completely hypothetical. How much does it really matter if you aren't ready or able (due to regulations) to throw down with the heavies?

I still have Aldo as the Featherweight GOAT with Volk in 2nd place, but knocking on the door. If Volk beats Islam, I think he passes Aldo and is the Featherweight GOAT. I think that also puts him in the pound for pound GOAT conversation with Jones, GSP, Silva and Fedor. Absolutely huge fight for Volk.

Why would Volk beating Islam at 155 have anything to do who is FW goat?

Hard disagree that doesn't make sense, P4P does mean the best fighter

No, P4P does not mean the best. P4P means, the one who seems most skilled to people.

In real terms, the best fighter is the one who wins. Who would win in a fight between Volk and Parker Porter? Volk is more skilled than Porter, but Porter is in the most important sense the better fighter.

Here's another way of saying the same thing:
Does an ant beat a bear despite being p4p stronger?

Why would Volk beating Islam at 155 have anything to do who is FW goat?
Exactly. This win would be excellent for Volk's overall legacy, but a fight at LW has nothing to do with FW.

Hard disagree that doesn't make sense, P4P does mean the best fighter
Weight classes exist for a reason. The Best fighter beats all other fights. That fighter will be (maybe) a middleweight fighter, or more likely a LHW or HW. P4P: the clue is in the name...

lol well if all you have to do to be the GREATEST FIGHTER OF ALL TIME (for a month or so ) is move up and win a belt,other guys have already done that.

so what if volk loses ? is he worse than mcgregor (who did become FW and LW champ) ?

Reactions: HHJ
Back