If Volk Wins He is The Undisputed GOAT in My Eyes

Exactly. If volk wins, we're potentially on unprecedented grounds. I know Volk is dead set on trying to defend both belts, but I really don't think the UFC would let him. I'd be shocked if they do.
It really pisses me off that UFC doesn't allow fighters to do this. It's lame. I know they're worried about holding up one division or the other but for fucks sake at least let them try.

Volk isn't even the FW GOAT and Islam only has two, top ten ranked wins at LW (based on FightMatrix).

0/10 thread

Very sensible observation. Beating a freshly minted champion will only do so much for Volkanovski, even if it's a weight class up.

If Volk beat champion who have size advantage and skill advantage like Makhacev.
Yes he is GOAT!

<{luvbruh}>

Islam JUST won the belt.
Hes a beast and has potential to be the goat but there's a few killers he avoided on the way to the belt.

You literally just described Conor when he won the LW strap lol and a bunch of idiots were calling him the GOAT for it.

I honestly believe that Volk is the GOAT if he Beats Machachev

Machachev is in his prime with one loss and the champ of a higher weight class. Protege de Khabib. He's 30 in his absolute prime without taking too much damage in his way to the top (1 TKO is not a lot of damage for a pro fighter with a long career). On top of his career this one mega W propels him into the GOAT conversation.

Why aren't people talking about this??? This is a MEGA fight. Volk is #1 P4P for Fucks sake. Do you know what that means??? It's means he's the fucking best fighter in the world you goofs!

With this win he is up there on Mt Rushmore just because no one else has a win of that caliber. Maybe 2 wins in mma HISTORY are up there
You make a solid argument

I honestly believe that Volk is the GOAT if he Beats Machachev

Machachev is in his prime with one loss and the champ of a higher weight class. Protege de Khabib. He's 30 in his absolute prime without taking too much damage in his way to the top (1 TKO is not a lot of damage for a pro fighter with a long career). On top of his career this one mega W propels him into the GOAT conversation.

Why aren't people talking about this??? This is a MEGA fight. Volk is #1 P4P for Fucks sake. Do you know what that means??? It's means he's the fucking best fighter in the world you goofs!

With this win he is up there on Mt Rushmore just because no one else has a win of that caliber. Maybe 2 wins in mma HISTORY are up there

Yeah but he has less than a 5% chance of winning so it's not going to happen.

Also, P4P is subjective and Volk has no skills which would translate well IF he was the same size as other men except maybe cardio.

Aldo has almost as many title defenses in the WEC/UFC as Volk has TOTAL UFC fights...
Well, Aldo came to the UFC a champ, so almost all of his fights in the organization were title fights.

Don't really care about him, but yes he would be.
Beating Islam, who is big for 155, as a 5'6, 34 year old, is impressive.
That being said, I got Islam being a 5:1 favorite, taking him down and finishing him on the ground in round 1.

Will be rooting for Volk in this one

I fully agree. Volk does not get the respect he deserves.
I think his title reign at FW isn't appreciated as much because 3 of his title fights are against one fighter. Obviously since it's Max Holloway 3 wins vs Max is very hard to do and making it a clear decision in the last is even more impressive. I think a variety in his title defenses would fix that a little. If he beats Islam he for sure is up there (I still put Jones ahead of him) but I don't see that happening. I think it will have the same revelation as Max vs Poirier where there is a reason why there is weight divisions.

Volk right now: #8-10 all time.
Volk beats Islam: #3-6 all time.

Volk beats Islam, defends 145 against Yair/Emmett winner, defends 155 against hypothetical Charles/Dariush match up winner. Then he hits undisputed GOAT status to me. I'm not saying he does that, but its not that far fetched either.

Yes, Volkanovski has a 25-1 record and four straight title defenses. But remember that Aldo was 25-1 with NINE straight title defenses before he lost. Even Holloway was looking quite good until he tried to challenge up a weight class.

If Volkanovski wins, it'll be a great win for sure. But it absolutely won't make him any sort of GOAT. Greatest of right now, perhaps. Greatest of all time? Not a chance.
Quality of competition matters too. For Volkanovski it's already through the roof. If he beats Islam, his seven or eight best wins are likely the best in MMA history.

Volk is the gamest fighter in the game right now

The number one P4P fighter is almost never the best fighter in the world. P4P doesn't measure who is best, but who is more skilled, which is not at all the same as being the best.
I mean, that's how it should work, but it doesn't. If that's how it actually worked then guys like Ngannou and almost every other heavyweight would never ever be ranked in any respectable P4P list.

Volk has 5 title fights, 3 of them agains the same guy.
Beating Islam will not make him GOAT because he needs more longevity on his run.

His run ever since he beat Mendes is great, just big names, but still, it's like all of the other long reigning champs say, it's much harder to stay at the top than to get there.

Khabib might come back if Volk destroys Islam or beats him twice.

I'm told Maccerschef got an easy ride to the title shot, then lucked out, so he isn't any good as a champ.

But when someone beats him in a match which Dana dictated, he now becomes a champion worthy of elevating his victorious opponent to GOAT?

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but iSlam is shit when he wins, and great when he loses?

Back