Rumored Ila Topuria vs Korean Zombie targeted to headline UFC Seoul in Korea, Apr. 29

Who wins?

• Total voters
On one hand...I hate seeing Zombie fed to the wolves, on the other hand it's time guys like Zombie and Emmett get culled out of the top 10, they aren't on that level. Honestly Ortega needs to fight to keep his ranking at this point too, maybe Ortega vs Evloev? :D

For whatever it's worth, Zombie is well past his prime but he's still a good striker and a heavy hitter. Topurias defense isn't the best and I noticed Bryce even rattled him standing in the 2nd in an exchange. Could be a tougher fight than expected.

I agree entirely, I thought they were going to make Ortega vs. Topuria and that would have been a stylistic nightmare for Brian. He wouldn't have had much recourse save clipping Ilia with a big punch or wild elbow during an exchange in the pocket or perhaps gassing him out down the stretch. Evloev fighting Ortega would be loads of fun, though...

I honestly think TKZ is the tougher fight. Volk outgrappled him so I'm sure it's within Topuria's wheelhouse to do the same. That said, Zombie showed against Ige not too long ago that he's still got something in the tank. He grappled very well in that fight and is typically capable of acquitting himself in exchanges and hitting hard. Topuria should absolutely be the rightful favorite, but I wouldn't be blown away to see Jung manage an upset.

Fight is great. People are complaining but shouldn't be. There is always someone going on about how new prospects can't get big fights, well here you go. KZ is #6 and just fought for the title and Ilia is #9 ready to make his move into the top of the division. One guy needs to prove he still belongs near the top and the other needs to prove he is a top FW. Very good fight.

And this fight may be closer than people expect. KZ got beaten pretty bad by Volk, but that's Volk. Prior to that he pretty clearly beat Ige 49-46. Ilia is open to getting hit, even in his last fight Bryce tagged him pretty good. KZ is precise, has power and has the reach and range.
KZ is slow as hell now. He gets KO’d bad

Well, Illia isn't as bad of a match up for KZ as volk was, he hits hard and has good grappling but zombie has both those things too... topuria first round KO tho probably, but prime KZ would have a chance, it isn't a bad match up from a stylistic point of view, just a young killer vs and aging vet on his last fight

You're really gonna call those guys "boxers" in the same way as Topuria is?
Fucking Edgar? Compared to Topuria?

Frankie edgar was a better boxer than topuria. Topuria is a far, far bigger puncher though, and to be fair edgar was old when kz faced him.

My overarching point was that all those guys were stocky guys who relied on their boxing and they all moved into the pocket on straight lines. Zombie has historically been good at countering guys like that.

Agree with everybody else who is saying this is terrible matchmaking. Topuria is on his way up, he needs to fight real contenders. Zombie is on his way out sooner than later. This fight does nothing for either guy.

Frankie edgar was a better boxer than topuria. Topuria is a far, far bigger puncher though, and to be fair edgar was old when kz faced him.

My overarching point was that all those guys were stocky guys who relied on their boxing and they all moved into the pocket on straight lines. Zombie has historically been good at countering guys like that.
Yes they had that style with nowhere near the skill level of Topuria. That includes frankie. Laughable

Eh, Zombie can't just take fun fights against veterans if he's still ranked #6. He's a good counter-striker and Topuria is hittable enough.

I do expect Topuria to dumpster him though

More retarded takes by the vast majority of posters. No surprise

-it's KZ's retirement fight. He's a legend, of course he's going to go out as the main event on a card in his country
-while KZ is on a clear downslide, he's still ranked #6. And as the main event, they aren't going to put in some no name scrub
-Topuria deserves to fight up the rankings and in a main event spot

Will Topuria likely win, and win via early finish? Probably. Life isn't fair, deal with it crybabies

The UFC is trying to send KZ into retirement on a tombstone

Yes they had that style with nowhere near the skill level of Topuria. That includes frankie. Laughable

To be clear, are you telling me that topuria is a better boxer than prime frankie edgar? Or are you telling me that he's better than ancient frankie edgar?

One of those opinions is acceptable, the other Is laughable indeed. Topuria has very basic boxing. Big power, but basic boxing. The guy throws himself out of position regularly and essentially throws the same combos over and over. He doesn't do much to disguise his entries either

And no, in the context of my major point -- that they all enter the pocket on straight lines -- topuria isn't more skilled at that.

Last edited:
Regardless of what people think of how it will go. It's a very good fight to make on paper.
Ilia is undefeated, just ran through another undefeated bryce. A better matchup would be holloway. KZ is gettin ko’d and finished brutally

I don't want powder puff matchmaking, but the way that the UFC sets up some of its fighters to get killed in their home countries is bizarre to me.

Damn...going to be a banger for as long as it lasts. Will be pulling for Zombie but he gets stopped

Sadly its fake info but at same time i'm glad because ilia would do bad things to zombie

He's ranked 6th in the fucking division, you can't have old fan favorites past their prime sit at the top of the rankings being handed out title shots without having to also fight contenders. This is how the fight game works, its how young lions get their rub and stardom. You think beating Sodiq Yusuff will get Topuria a title shot? I mean at this point Yusuff is a better quality win but it means shit.
He is contemplating retirement. Let him go out on a win

Back