Imagine Islam asking for BJ Penn (almost Stipe's age) as a champ lol. That's basically what Jones is doing...

OP really thought they were onto something here, but dropped a straight turd of a comparison. Eek

Stipe will be 42, will not have fought for more than 3 years and will be coming of a loss. Yeah he's a HW legend, rightfully so, but the champ shouldn't be fighting old washed up legends. You are free to do it if you don't have the belt, but not as a champ. But if you have the belt, that's wrong and weak from you to be asking for that fight when there are better contenders.

I also really don't see what a win over Stipe right now will do for Jon's career. You can't fight a legend totally out of his prime and say you're the greatest in that division.

Uriah Hall defeated Anderson Silva when he was washed up, no one is calling hall the MW greatest of all time. This whole thing is just retarded.

90% of the fans want to see Jones vs Aspinall. Dana just won't book it because Jones told him he's only fighting Miocic or not at all and ofc Dana would prefer making money than not at all.
Jones knows Aspinall can cause him problems while Miocic is a joke.
Jones fighting Stipe is what the UFC wants. They want to squeeze the last dollars they can and promote it as GOAT vs GOAT

Let’s stop pretending that Jones is calling the shots!

Stipe is irrelevant in the HW division right now. He's a name, but that's it. I don't know if he'd be favored against a single guy in the current top 10 in potential matchups, much less a threat to the real champ, Aspinall.

Everyone knows this fight is s a setup for Jones to ride off into the sunset.

Stipe will be 42, will not have fought for more than 3 years and will be coming of a loss. Yeah he's a HW legend, rightfully so, but the champ shouldn't be fighting old washed up legends. You are free to do it if you don't have the belt, but not as a champ. But if you have the belt, that's wrong and weak from you to be asking for that fight when there are better contenders.

I also really don't see what a win over Stipe right now will do for Jon's career. You can't fight a legend totally out of his prime and say you're the greatest in that division.

Uriah Hall defeated Anderson Silva when he was washed up, no one is calling hall the MW greatest of all time. This whole thing is just retarded.

90% of the fans want to see Jones vs Aspinall. Dana just won't book it because Jones told him he's only fighting Miocic or not at all and ofc Dana would prefer making money than not at all.
The funny thing is how many people accused Khabib of retiring because he’s “afraid” to lose his 0 and negatively comparing him to JBJ, meanwhile it’s pretty clear that Jones is cherry picking Stipe to protect his 0 lol. The irony.

The funny thing is how many people accused Khabib of retiring because he’s “afraid” to lose his 0 and negatively comparing him to JBJ, meanwhile it’s pretty clear that Jones is cherry picking Stipe to protect his 0 lol. The irony.
Even more ironic is Jon’s protecting a zero he’s already technically lost and a legacy that is marred by doping and indiscretions.

NO. Terrible comparison.

Ban.

Last edited:
90% of fans here maybe.

But places like this represent a small minority relative to the overall casual base of fans.

Most people In the real world don't know who Aspinall Is.

People know Stipe, his status as an all time great HW.

You can build a big fight and promotion with him as the B side.

To the average viewer, Aspinall is just another guy.

Jones would likely be taking a 50% pay cut to fight him. Much as it sucks for Aspinall, this is prize fighting. Which becomes all the more real when It might be your final fight. Jones moved to HW to begin with because he wanted big money fights.

I don't think It has anything to do with being afraid to fight him. It's just business. If Aspinall had some genuine hype to his name, some marketability, this would all likely be playing out differently.

But he doesn't.

Ngannou could've fought Jones but played It smart and now he's financially set for life. This is prize fighting. People don't seem to understand that.
You have no idea how huge Aspinall is getting even to the casual fan. He's also huge in the UK.

And Stipe is ceirtanly no draw. Your point about Aspinall "not being known in the real world" fits more for Stipe. As good as he was, he never had a following.

Where is your proof that people know Stipe? Which people? Fight fans?

aspinall is in a similar position to gane or pavlovich before their recent losses. he’s a great fighter, but one loss and people will talk about him like he’s a can. “jon only beat unproven aspinall whose best win was one-dimensional pavlovich.” you can’t say that about stipe, even if you hate him. most you can say is he’s past his prime, but that was true before the nggano fight, and people give him credit.

sorry, but that's beyond stupid!

Stipe did not quit MMA for years.
And he quit because he declined so much, he couldn't beat anyone anymore!
Stipe's last fight was for the belt... HIS belt.

Age alone is nothing!

When did Stipe go on his 8 fight winless streak? Then retire. ....

Stipes 8-2 in his last 10

Till then these situations are not the same...

Stipe is still active and was champion before Ngannou...and is the HW GOAT ...

He has more proven resume then Asp, and the championship history to warrant the title shot ..Tom is in perfect position to get a massive fight either way and become a house hold name..

If I was him id sit quietly and prepare ..

He's either fighting Jones, or the guy who beat Jones both massive fights...or he is gunna be undisputed champion anyways if both guys retire...

Either way Asp is fine . .. nothing needs to happen differently to Jones or the title...Tom is sitting pretty

Championship history doesn't do that much to warrant a title shot when he's coming off a loss and hasn't won in nearly 4 years when the fight can take place.

Even that pales compared to the fact that an interim champion has been crowned though. When there is an interim champion there is no excuse to not unify the titles as soon as the champ is ready, save for the interim champ getting injured when the time comes. Everything else is invalid if one wants to keep things legit.

Last edited:
I do agree that Jones should vacate the belt if he wants to fight Stipe. The fight against Aspinall is much more compelling. I also understand why Tom is frustrated, putting on a lot of solid wins in the division against top contenders only to miss out on the real title shot, while another fighter got the title shot based on accomplishments from a lower weight class. It kind of reminds me of Conor getting the LW title shot before Khabib due to his fame.

I don't think Jones ever claimed to be the greatest HW (correct me if I am wrong). Most people saing he is the HW GOAT are probably trolling, can't be a divisional GOAT with 1 or 2 wins in that division.

Also with your thread title, i think the big difference is Jones is 36 while Islam's 32. So Jones calling out Stipe would be like Islam calling out someone who is 37 and retired for many years

If the old Jones, who was fucking prolific while defending his belt was still around, he could fight Stipe no problem.

When a Champ fights regularly, slack can be given for super-fights or freak shows.... No contender was every left fucked over when Jones was 205 Champ because he was a hungry fucking lion for most of his reign and took on so many opponents that there was room on his calendar to both refuse and accept Lord Chael and still defend more than any other champ.

It ain't like that now.

More active then BJ penn at this point...which was T.S 's comparison..

Also how long has Conor been out?
Conor isn't part of this, and I am not a Conor fan, so not sure what you're even talking about there.

Stipe isn't active - which is literally what you posted, and it's wrong.

Don't be angry at me when you post some bullshit. That's entirely on you, my guy

Sorry but not even remotely the same thing. So many variables it's hard to list them all.

This is more like Islam asking to fight Chandler.

Jon used to be a killer. Now, he’s a Floyd Mayweather type fighter looking for the safest route possible.

Silly take, imo. He came to heavyweight and immediately fought the top contender in the division and eviscerated him. Aspinall can fight for the title for another 5 years, Stipe needs to do it now, and Jones isn't far behind him.

The other thing you silly geese don't take into consideration is the Aspinall fight doesn't get any easier for Jones as time goes on, it only gets harder.

Back