In April fast-food workers in Cali will get $20 an hour

Correction, steal food snd cook yourself. Fast food prices gonna go up and so will food at grocery stores. People think they’re going to escape high prices. It’s more than likely a ploy for people to go to the grocery stores to try and escape high priced fast food locations.

Grocery stores have been cheaper than fast food for my whole life.

Buy eggs, rice, beans, cheap meats in bulk (sausage, pork in the us, bone in cuts of chicken, etc) and cook yourself has always been cheaper.

You can make 20 breakfast burritos on a sunday and freeze 15 of em.

$7 worth of work? Nobody has been able to live on $7 in about 25 years. If jobs don't pay people enough money to live even the most frugal lifestyle, then what is the point of that job? Why are we subsidizing corporations to create underemployment that is a drain on society?

This is a good point. Inflation and soaring costs of living are very real. Working people simply need enough money to be able to live close enough in expensive cities to work their jobs. As the requirement for more money to live anywhere near the population centers increases, something has to take up the slack.

One way or the other, the costs are going to have to be paid by someone. Maximizing how much of this comes from the often marginalized and poor workers' pockets is one solution, but that strategy has pretty serious drawbacks for society, and can result in higher crime and social service draws.

Surely there's a better balance for making up the difference. Some combination of lower corporate profits, higher taxes to fund social services, and consumers paying more money for the convenience of eating very unhealthy food prepared almost immediately and possibly handed to them through a vehicle window.

Buy eggs, rice, beans, cheap meats in bulk (sausage, pork in the us, bone in cuts of chicken, etc) and cook yourself has always been cheaper.

This. Much healthier too. You'd have to really try to cook yourself food that is as unhealthy as fast food.

I’m fine with it, as long it increases the quality of people they hire. Waiting 20 mins for 2 McDoubles should be illegal. The food as shit, at least give it to me quick.

I’m fine with it, as long it increases the quality of people they hire. Waiting 20 mins for 2 McDoubles should be illegal. The food as shit, at least give it to me quick.

It used to be

fast

good

cheap

pick two.

I like the taco trucks that are good and cheap but not that fast.

TIRED: we are raising prices because of labour costs

WIRED: you would have already raised prices if you felt that you could

You're quietly one of the best posters on this forum.

Merry Christmas.

Inn n Out is the only fast food place I frequent when in California and their prices are still pretty reasonable, even though they increased quite a bit the last couple years compared to year's past. Fuck paying $10-15 for some shitty ass McDonald's food, I don't even want that trash for free. These places are probably going to just automate more.
McDonald's is the garbage dump of fast food places.

In my experience working fast food, there's usually like 5-6 people standing around for a job 2 competent people can do.
whaaaaat? I did a few months in the fast food biz while in high school. 5 or 6 people at a busy Mcd or Burger King was very much needed at all times. Or else we'd drown.

whaaaaat? I did a few months in the fast food biz while in high school. 5 or 6 people at a busy Mcd or Burger King was very much needed at all times. Or else we'd drown.
Hard to say. I think big chains sometimes just have kitchens that are too big, and require extra hands, but I think they could still operate just fine by downsizing the kitchen and better organizing it for a smaller crew. I worked fast food in a mall food court way back when, which would get crazy busy during holidays, and I was the only cook. It was surprisingly manageable.

i can't figure out why america can't pay livable wages to people working in this industry, such that a slight increase might lead to mass layoffs.

why even be a global power if you can't figure this out? it's fucking nuts to me. this is third world level crap.

Ladies and gentlemen,

I present to you, our newest staff members...

013c2a7ec81815bcdcc1b8cca0f245db.jpg

It only applies to corporate "fast serve" restaurants with 60+ locations.

Sounds like regional chains with somewhere close to over 60 locations will use the legislation to shut down enough locations to hit 59 location threshold.

Anyway, this is another example of Gavin Newsom fucking up California, and his next goal is to do the same to the entire nation from the whitehouse.

This is a good point. Inflation and soaring costs of living are very real. Working people simply need enough money to be able to live close enough in expensive cities to work their jobs. As the requirement for more money to live anywhere near the population centers increases, something has to take up the slack.

One way or the other, the costs are going to have to be paid by someone. Maximizing how much of this comes from the often marginalized and poor workers' pockets is one solution, but that strategy has pretty serious drawbacks for society, and can result in higher crime and social service draws.

Surely there's a better balance for making up the difference. Some combination of lower corporate profits, higher taxes to fund social services, and consumers paying more money for the convenience of eating very unhealthy food prepared almost immediately and possibly handed to them through a vehicle window.
I moved to Nevada in 2018, and I've said several times it's the first time I've ever understood the Republican pov. The low tax rate brings out warehouses and manufacturers in droves. And their voracious need for labor creates a fevered pocket that benefits everyone at the bottom.

Fast food, retail, service industry etc. HAS to pay more to compete with these massive employers taking on thousands of workers at once. People working in those fields can make $16 or $17 to start out here. Because blue collar fids are paying $18 to $25 and have no barrier to entry.

i can't figure out why america can't pay livable wages to people working in this industry, such that a slight increase might lead to mass layoffs.

why even be a global power if you can't figure this out? it's fucking nuts to me. this is third world level crap.
Oh they CAN, they just don't want to and there's no real reason to. Unlike Europe there are no strong forces protecting workers rights. That's supposed to be the domain of the government, but they've been in the pocket of big business since before anyone on this board was born.

It's over $40,000 per year for a job a 16 year old can do with about 1 week of training, and about 33% of employees are teens. Paying that much for that little will trigger inflationary effects in both wages and the general economy.
(Ex. Why do landscaping for $17 when you can be indoors all day for 20$ to start? Why manage and take all that extra work when you can drop ~4$k at 45+ salary for hourly, with no pay loss if the same amount of OT is required?)

All this will do is drive up wages, drive up the money supply, drive up inflation, and leave everyone right where they started in terms of income with depreciated savings/assets. It's a fool's errand.

Doesn't your nation have any jobs that aren't suitable for a middle-class lifestyle?

Last edited:
Lol you can raise the wage all you want. It will just get deflected onto the customer , who is really responsible for the paychecks coming in.

A full head of cabbage is like 50 cents where I'm at (a particularly expensive area). A pound of fresh grass fed beef is like $6. It's really much cheaper to make your own burgers at home.

Back