Is anyone contemplating the unthinkable...Jones being brutally KO'd?

Yes can happen. Would be great to see happen, Ganes can really use a monster win but I think Jones clinches him takes him down and subs him

The comparisons aren't accurate.
Gane is understood to be way more of a threat from the beginning, is arguably the favorite, and it's Jones who is untested and moving up into unknown waters.
The inaccurate comparison is equating Bisping/Rockhold to GSP/Serra.

GSP didn't prepare properly? Of course he did. He just got caught.

He's admitted on Rogan's show that Serra's height and the angle he throws punches gave him issues. GSP was use to fighting taller guys that aim downwards and he was caught by serra throwing punches from below aiming up.

Kinda like Jon vs Gus 1. The height, reach and boxing of Gus gave Jon issues because he's never faced it before like GSP never faced an opponent like Serra.

Both GSP and Jon after facing their opponents destroyed them in rematches.
I remember GSP saying he was drinking and partying, and didn't train properly for Matt Serra, because he believed in his own hype too much

I would not be that surprised.

Would be cool as Jon has never even been dropped or badly rocked before.
But since he's coming from the 2 worst fights of his career, training in his garage, and having his HW debut - it's hard to know his form.
he will be slower at the weight class, less gas, older and past his prime....
I'm sure he'll be slower. Likely that Gane will be faster. But regarding old age, I imagined that argument wouldn't be that big of a deal anymore for a 35 year old given 39 year old Jan and 42 year old Glover doing better in their old age than before.

Sure - "fight age" could also be relevant, but I dunno.

We can only hope

I reckon he has been training/sparring with heavyweights his entire career. He knows and understands heavyweight power. He rarely gets hit clean, so not sure if the slower heavyweights can get to him. Interesting fight!

I remember GSP saying he was drinking and partying, and didn't train properly for Matt Serra, because he believed in his own hype too much

He says it plain as day that a shorter guy throwing punching from below him was one of his weaknesses.

And GSP doesn't drink at all. Yes he does have alcohol sponsors but he just promotes for them. He doesn't drink himself.

No Jones will beat gane. As soon as Ngannou was gone thos fight was signed. He knows he can beat Gane. I also know he'll beat can and the reason why is Gane hesitates. He won't pressure Jones and that is why 90% of fighters fail against Jones. DC got in his face and Gustafson got in his face

Can you image if he puts Gane out cold? The tears.

He says it plain as day that a shorter guy throwing punching from below him was one of his weaknesses.

And GSP doesn't drink at all. Yes he does have alcohol sponsors but he just promotes for them. He doesn't drink himself.

Hendo was kind of like that too where he had more trouble with guys that were more similar in size to himself(Misaki, Ninja, Wanderlei 1, Shields, lil Nog, Arona, Evans, Machida, Mousasi). I think part of that was cause he's so good with the overhand right but it's harder to land on guys when they aren't much taller.

Jones is moving up in weight, is coming off of a three year layoff, and has looked like a shadow of himself in most of his last few fights. No, I won't be shocked if he gets smoked.

This is what people aren't getting, he looked like very beatable against guys who he should've mopped the floor with 3 - 4 years ago.

His last few wins aren't even relevant to his division anymore.

I'm curious to see how his conditioning holds up when grappling a much heavier body.

I can't see him getting flatlined or anything.

Jones is tough as shit, but he's not fan of taking strikes to the head(don't blame him) and he's never been the type to open up in the pocket.

If he gets stung, I think he would shell up pretty well and take the ref stoppage. I think he would need that for his ego too. "You never KO'd me" etc..

I don’t think it’s “unthinkable “very possible. Jones is a small heavyweight underneath what extra mass he’s put on. Hasn’t fought in 3 years, lousy last few showings at lhw, “pulsing” debacle. Wrong side of 30.
It’ll be interesting to see if Gane has been drilling his ground game and tdd. Which I’m sure he has, Gane being active the major factor.
If Jon can’t lay on Gane early a pull off a sub,then Gane by 4-5 tko or decision.
Although it’s Jon we’re talking about a W wouldn’t surprise me either. Dude should by a lotto ticket and be done with mma.

Anything can happen, and this is one that I don't think anything will surprise me (although it'll be shocking to see Jones get (t)ko'd or sub'd because we've never seen it before).

I'm waiting to see how Jones looks in the cage. Logic says he's probably slower, but there have been cases of athletes that can add mass but retain speed. Will rust be a factor, lots of questions.

There's a part of me that is surprised he went straight to the top of the list, instead of getting a feeler fight first, but another part realizes Jones wants a title and thinks he can do it.
Feeler fights carries the same risks. No need to do that, just go straight to the top.

Could happen.. I don't think it will since Gane isn't really a KO artist but definite possibility.

the only thing i will say is that, brian callen already brought up how cyril gane is such an elite striker. 11/10 brian callen picks the right guy. it's not a good sign.

Back