Is KO Power more technique or just lucky genetics ?

Even a fat slob like Roy Nelson can do that. It doesn’t make you a genetic freak. They just put everything in their punches
I would argue Nelson is a genetic freak. Who else could compete at HW at that level, effectively undersized, with that much fat, and brutally KO that many quality opponents with their OHR, and withstand that much damage? His BJJ was also very good. He's actually fighting at a high level in bare knuckle now, at 47.

I was the second best shot putter at school. The best was a bit shorter and lighter than me. But then the best javelin thrower was much smaller than either of us. He had no more training than us but was just a good natural athlete. He was good at every sport. Something about his run up and overall movement, rather than raw strength and size. If we were doing a martial art no doubt he would have had more KO power relative to his weight class than us heavier chaps. What are the factors that go into KO power:

Height
Build
Reach
Weight
Hand Size
Foot Movement
Hand Speed
Accuracy
Distance Management
Quick Reactions
Reading and predicting opponent's Movement
Set Up (Feints, KO Shot hidden in Combos, Hand Traps, Baiting a Response, Unpredictability etc.)
(Unexpected) Angles
Confidence in Chin, ie. you're more willing to risk eating one to land one
Technique, building the strike correctly through your whole body from the feet up etc. Although not if you're Shane Carwin.

Of course some of it depends on quality of coaching but a lot of it is quite unquantifiable and comes down to overall athletic ability. Like heart, you have it or you don't.
Yeah your body build matters, endomorphs or guys with shorter arms generate more power in hooks than tall lanky guys like Jones. But it’s mainly about how much force you can generate in your hips while putting all your weight into the punch. Timing is what usually puts guys out though

I was the second best shot putter at school. The best was a bit shorter and lighter than me. But then the best javelin thrower was much smaller than either of us. He had no more training than us but was just a good natural athlete. He was good at every sport. Something about his run up and overall movement, rather than raw strength and size. If we were doing a martial art no doubt he would have had more KO power relative to his weight class than us heavier chaps. What are the factors that go into KO power:

Height
Build
Reach
Weight
Hand Size
Foot Movement
Hand Speed
Accuracy
Distance Management
Quick Reactions
Reading and predicting opponent's Movement
Set Up (Feints, KO Shot hidden in Combos, Hand Traps, Baiting a Response, Unpredictability etc.)
(Unexpected) Angles
Confidence in Chin, ie. you're more willing to risk eating one to land one
Technique, building the strike correctly through your whole body from the feet up etc. Although not if you're Shane Carwin.

Of course some of it depends on quality of coaching but a lot of it is quite unquantifiable and comes down to overall athletic ability. Like heart, you have it or you don't.
Carwin had wrecking balls attached to his wrists. Hand size is an often overlooked factor but is very important.
GGG has said that he trains his hand muscles in order to increase their mass and KO power.

genetics help the most

Not genetics, he literally put everything into those punches and was willing to take a shot just to land one. The one that Rozenstruik didn’t see is what put him out. Most guys could get KOs like that if they got sloppy and exploded while risking getting caught

Carwin had wrecking balls attached to his wrists. Hand size is an often overlooked factor but is very important.
GGG has said that he trains his hand muscles in order to increase their mass and KO power.
This. I was about to mention Sonny Liston, but Carwin is also a good example.

I was always told I had knockout power, but these comments seemed to correlate directly with my technique improving in the first few years of training. I never looked like an athlete (think that doughy Slavic build), but I spent my entire childhood playing sports and had a good sense of body movement.

According to Ancient Bladeless Bushido training, power was not come from just only genetic or technique. Technique important yes so was genetic no doubting about this #UFCFriend. True power was been coming from training #journey though

First, one must consider gate of birth. Some born through Gate of Power and immediately having knock out powers. Others Gate of Precision, must work on power but not as much need. Many gates for become birth through with all special skill.

This having was said, one must understand which gate was they have become bless at birth, then seek to reenter spirit realm through other 8 gate to complete training. Each time they was become even more powerful in punch kick slap or otherwise.

Most people have a hard time separating the technique for optimal power and the technique for hit and not get hit.

This video goes over an observational biomechanics study where noticed this fork in the road;

It's a bit of both. You have some guys don't hit as hard but they are very accurate. It doesn't really take much force to knock someone out. On the other hand you have guys who are a bit sloppy but they have the touch of death. They can knock people out even if their guard is up.

Hands dont really have muscles, all the big muscles that control the hands are in the forearm. If he means forearm muscles, it is less BS lol

Genetics, punchers are born not made has been a saying in boxing for a long time for a reason. Technique will only take you so far, you cannot turn someone who isn't a big puncher into a big puncher no matter how much training they do.

depends on what weight divsion you fight in. anything below MW and technique is going to be better. MW and above you can just be born a gorilla and knock a lot of motherfuckers out.

also, even if you're born with the explosiveness, you need technique to even know how to throw a proper punch. take for instance Tommy Hearns, a legendary KO puncher. in the amateurs he knocked nobody out and was basically a pillow fist. he turned pro and his right hand turned into a nuclear bomb. not just KOing guys but absolutely destroying them with ONE punch. people will say roids or because they don't have headgear on in pros, but if you watch his amateur days he just had nothing on his punches. when he was pro he could stand and deliver and that only came through training and technique refinement.

Look at everyone downplaying lucky genetics like there aren't people in each division that just have everyone on the back foot no matter how good they are
You've only got to spend a year in an MMA/Boxing gym and I 100% guarantee, there will be a guy who walks in off the street and hits way harder than guys who have been training way longer than him. He might even be in worse shape.

You've only got to spend a year in an MMA/Boxing gym and I 100% guarantee, there will be a guy who walks in off the street and hits way harder than guys who have been training way longer than him. He might even be in worse shape.
For some reason my mind was just going to Figgy but I guess he's the perfect example

Bro pronounce ting wrong but dis vid money fam 🤑

Ting is fam in scrappin' u also gotta keep dem handz up sum1 lyk my yute Big Mac have you snoozin' in da first off a overhand or 1-2 pull counter sumtym a 🌲 mix in.

Cuz of dat bear mans out here tinkin power all genetics fam ain't keepin' it a buck tho widda science 🐻 🧍‍♂️🚫💯🦌

Lyk lifting fam swear down my yute Big Mac pulled 5 plates 1st tayum bro walk into Fit Factory ting was lit shoulda been der but dat ain't mean another yute made a bones deadlifting 2 plate can't train for dat 🩻🟰💪&🧥

Sumtayum ppl forget bro like Ngannou was str8 digging holes mans wholeazz life das Serape training all day my guy 😂

Das y I rate #PowerSlap ting a truuu 💯 expression of power since mandem ain't gotta get dem hands back up defend da face widda brace typa ting you feel me?

Last edited:
it's all about how much you can bench and how much beer you drink. the more you can do of both, the more power you have. listening to pantera also helps.

Back