Is landing 445 significant strikes with no finish impressive to you?

It makes me question the fighter's power, but it's still an incredible accomplishment. Dude averaged a significant strike landed every 3 seconds for 25 minutes straight. A significant strike thrown every 2. Most fighters couldn't manage that on the bag in the gym.

As far as winning the fight goes it was very impressive. That fight was completely one sided. Did anyone give a single round to Kattar?

No it’s not impressive at all.

There is a reason why Max fights these undersized guys at FW. His style doesn’t work against people his own size.

Not sure if this is serious, but Kattar is listed at 5'11" (same height at max) with a 3" reach advantage. He also appears to have more muscle mass.

1296477013.0.jpg

Pettis is listed at an inch shorter with a 3" reach advantage.
usa-today-9734272.0.jpeg

Are you proposing that a fighter would purposely not throw ko power even if they where landing 100's of punches and had many rounds and chances to use it??????????????????????????

If you go for a ko you are not winning a decision.

Smart fighters have to make a choice what their winning strategy will be.

I never said it wasn't. Shit the last 2 rounds should've been 10-7.

The title of the thread is is 445 strikes with NO finish impressive to you. My answer is no. The title isn't is landing 445 strikes in a fight impressive. If that was the question then my answer would be yes."

Glad you at least got the question most did not.

If you go for a ko you are not winning a decision.

Smart fighters have to make a choice what their winning strategy will be.

Are you suggesting then that fighters should just point fight? You don't think that a fighter can fight to finish his opponent and if he doesn't get the finish are you saying he can't win by decision?

If a fighter wearing 4oz gloves with his hands taped solid lands 445 significant strikes and does not finish or come close to a KO is that impressive to you?
It all depends on the opponent and when you're getting him/her.

In certain circumstances- sometimes you're the hammer , sometimes the nail but if you're the nail and you're one of those super durable freshly made metals then - yes- it could be impressive especially if u damage it up nice and proper and then end of your hammer doesnt have a scratch.

Anyone that finds that not impressive has never trained once in their life.

A second assumption is you also likely live in your moms basement.

Not everyone hits like Wanderlei or Hunt

He's a volume striker with cardio, so yes it's impressive since his volume has won him the belt.

Is his power impressive tho, not really. He lost that Dustin fights because his shots literally did nothing and Dustin was sending Max flying across the octagon with his.

I’d like to see a stat for significant strikes received. That would be a record to be proud of

Not everyone hits like Wanderlei or Hunt

He's a volume striker with cardio, so yes it's impressive since his volume has won him the belt.

Is his power impressive tho, not really. He lost that Dustin fights because his shots literally did nothing and Dustin was sending Max flying across the octagon with his.

A fighter can have high volume, technique and KO power. Look at Loma for example! All these people on here don't get that part. Besides that I like what max did in that fight when he went ape and started taking tuff that was some gangster sh!%. Max should work on trying to develop a couple ko shots he can weave into volume shots and mix it up

Max has finished a whole bunch of high level fighters. This has more to do with Kattar's durability, condition and composure. Haters gonna hate.

Well, considering that's 445 significant strikes a professional fighter managed find an opening, angle, and distance to land for against another professional fighter, yes. It's pretty damn impressive.

I argued this in another thread where I said Max Holloway being the best volume striker is a stupid achievement and I stand by that claim
If you had to ask Jose Aldo, do you think he preferred getting Ko’d in 13 seconds or the bloody, sustained, lactic acid fueled drowning and methodical, technical beat down he got from Max on 2 different occasions? Nothing stupid about it.

To be fair , the fight coulda easily been stopped . Kattar Gonna end up like poor Spencer Fisher after taking an ass whipping like that and he’ll continue to take more trauma in training and in fights if he doesn’t retire . I still think Hooker wasn’t right equilibrium wise from the Poirier fight . That’s why Chandler dusted him with ease IMO .

You'd think you'd be able to at least muster a standing TKO but i digress. Dominance is dominance Max looked sharp and motivated and that's what i was most worried about.
That fight could have easily been a standing TKO though and very few would have complained....

How hard is it to hit a punching bag? How about an opponent who can't keep his hands up or move without looking like a slug? Because by the start of the 4th round that's what Kattar was.
He was a slug because of the beating he took lol. That fight could have been stopped by Herb or Kattar’s corner on several occasions, but it controversially wasn’t. Neutralizing and beating the brakes off a fighter the caliber of Kattar in that manner is impressive as hell, and questioning that is some peak Sherbro shit lol. If Kattar didn’t look like he was going to fucking die in there from abuse, you guys would maybe have a point.

Last edited:
You don't get it do you?
What’s there to get? That only winning by KO is impressive? If Max hadn’t caused any significant damage in 445 strikes instead of giving Kattar a career altering beat down that easily could have been stopped and had him looking like Two Face, you’d have a point. But I don’t get your point. And we aren’t dwelling in to the technical aspects of Max’s fight, which is the most impressive.

What’s there to get? That only winning by KO is impressive? If Max hadn’t caused any significant damage in 445 strikes instead of giving Kattar a career altering beat down that easily could have been stopped and had him looking like Two Face, you’d have a point. But I don’t get your point. And we aren’t dwelling in to the technical aspects of Max’s fight, which is the most impressive.

You ask "What's there to get" That only winning by KO is impressive?"

In order to answer you the original question you must get what is being asked first if you want to answer it.

Back