Is Military Hand to Hand combat more efficient than MMA?

ga_ninja

Whopper or Die
@purple
Reaction score
I'm talking about self defense purposes, I know in MMA you can train most techniques to become effective and efficient but in H2HC some are to lethal to practice with sparring partner but gives a more realistic approach. With that being said in a street situation there are no rules which would feel more confident in using?

i was in the marine corps and the "hand to hand combat" we learned was a joke

I'm talking about self defense purposes, I know in MMA you can train most techniques to become effective and efficient but in H2HC some are to lethal to practice with sparring partner but gives a more realistic approach. With that being said in a street situation there are no rules which would feel more confident in using?
Absolutely. If McGregor had trained military H2H combat, he would have been far more efficient with his energy and beaten Nate Diaz.

No. Do not look to the military for your unarmed fighting. They barely do it. They don't do it enough to get good at it. They mainly do it as an aggression drill. Their instructors have no forbidden ninja knowledge. The prestige "military combat systems" have in eyes of many civilians is completely unearned.

Army combatives is legit but it's taken from MMA. MCMAP is legit but imo it's essentially Krav Maga.

So yeah they're effective if endlessly repped like any Martial Art. That said, don't be like me twenty+ years ago thinking your going to Join the Army and be transformed into a teenaged version of Chuck Norris.

i was in the marine corps and the "hand to hand combat" we learned was a joke

Came here to say pretty much exactly this. It was tons of "step-movements" which were pretty ineffective. They did teach some decent grappling though... for some reason. haha

Came here to say pretty much exactly this. It was tons of "step-movements" which were pretty ineffective. They did teach some decent grappling though... for some reason. haha
most of the time the grappling turned into who new the most bjj and they took over lol. my squad leader went to MCAMP (or whatever the fucking acronym is) and gave me my green belt shits useless lol

most of the time the grappling turned into who new the most bjj and they took over lol. my squad leader went to MCAMP (or whatever the fucking acronym is) and gave me my green belt shits useless lol

I had never done any grappling before, so for me it was fun to learn even some intro/basic moves. While it obviously wasn't BJJ it was interesting... I actually pulled off a mounted arm bar in a "friendly altercation" one afternoon at the barracks. My buddy was hammered and was just causing all kinds of chaos, I was able to get him mounted, did the whole technique and popped him straight into an armbar...by the numbers.... it shut him up pretty quick and we all had a good laugh afterwards. haha

I had never done any grappling before, so for me it was fun to learn even some intro/basic moves. While it obviously wasn't BJJ it was interesting... I actually pulled off a mounted arm bar in a "friendly altercation" one afternoon at the barracks. My buddy was hammered and was just causing all kinds of chaos, I was able to get him mounted, did the whole technique and popped him straight into an armbar...by the numbers.... it shut him up pretty quick and we all had a good laugh afterwards. haha
i was a grunt so there was fights and chaos every weekend, it was the norm for us lol

We had a good Combatives program at Fort Bragg. Most of the instructors were HS wrestlers and BJJ blue belts and above.

Good for military, not good for MMA.

Army combatives focuses on holding someone down long enough for your battle buddy to run over and shoot them, also the instructors I met were awful and almost no time was spent training hand to hand anyways.

No.. i mostly learned Krav Maga and Judo throws. It can be effective against anyone who isnt familiarized with it but against a professional MMA fighter i would be in trouble.

Last edited:
My brother sent me some training videos from his time in the Army, it seemed like BJJ Lite. He ended up spending more time training judo.

As I understand it, basic competency is mandatory (basically a way to get 18 year olds to mildly hurt each other so they get used to struggle) and further study is optional. I know a guy who got his blackbelt in MCMAP and it sounds like it gets pretty intense. I think you move on to things like bayonets and pepper spray and etc.

There was an Army Combatives instructor on that old old Spike TV show Joes vs Pros or whatever it was called. His two show competitors got submitted by Randy Couture like 30 times in a few minutes and he got submitted like 15 ... totally off the top of my head, not sure on real numbers.

Military hand to hand combat is different from Navy Seals Hand 2 Hand combat... the elite special forces train to kill like any serious killing based self defense discipline does.

As someone that has trained in and seen the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program (MCMAP), I can testify that it's all bullshit. All of it. Military fighting systems are just a watered down version of what I learned in my old Karate dojo days.

Krav Maga is not complete bullshit, but a lot of gun and knife disarming techniques completely rely on assumptions. Somebody properly trained in a legit martial art (Bjj, Judo, Sambo, etc...) or trains mma completely dismantles a Krav Maga guy, any day of the week.

Military hand to hand combat is different from Navy Seals Hand 2 Hand combat... the elite special forces train to kill like any serious killing based self defense discipline does.

The elites don't know shit about hand to hand fighting, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.
More amazing things can be done with a rifle, pistol, knife. Warfare isn't a JCVD movie.

No, and why would it be when the most important aspect of military combat is strategy and the ability to fire a rifle without shooting your own head off?

The elites don't know shit about hand to hand fighting, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.
More amazing things can be done with a rifle, pistol, knife. Warfare isn't a JCVD movie.

US Marine are not Navy Seals... it's an absolute must for Navy Seals to be good at hand 2 hand combat not just guns.

I saw Con Air, like three times so i know for a FACT that Army Rangers are considered deadly weapons by the court system.

US Marine are not Navy Seals... it's an absolute must for Navy Seals to be good at hand 2 hand combat not just guns.
No, it's not an absolute must. And it's SEAL, not Seal. SEALs are required to be good at shooting guns. That's what they use to kill bad guys.

Back