Is this site infected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They definitely need to clean it up. The only computer I have to use is my work computer and I will have to stop coming here if they don't fix it because I can't go fucking up this computer.

the only thing this site is infected with is dumbasses who curse out fighers and use nuthugger in every other sentance

as everyone else says, use firefox not internet explorer

Cube43200 said:
1) Get a decent anti spyware and virus program installed - and NOT the free ones. Norton or Microsoft's are probably the best.

Not so! AVG is the best anti-virus and it's totally free
Ad-Aware and Spybot are the pest spyware tools
MS spyblocker is much better at blocking than removal and as most of these folks already are infected, I'd start with ad-aware from a legitimate site like zdnet or techspot- many adware programs masquerade as these popular downloads
Cube43200 said:
2) Get a decent POP BLOCKER - again NOT from any of the no name, freebie sites. The one I downloaded from miscrosoft is really effective.

Again, I'd disagree. Firefox as has been said or the google toolbar for IE work just fine, but absolutely will not help you if you are already infected. Most of the modern nasty viruses require you to delete them from the registry manually or they will reappear every time you reboot your machine. If AVG is unable to remove or quarantine the virus, it will give you the name and you should google it and learn how to remove it manually.
Cube43200 said:
AND

3) Don't EVER under any circumstance PRESS ON a POP UP - and this applies to the "X" to close it down. The safest way to CLOSE down a pop up is by RIGHT clicking on it, and if doesn't allow you this option, leave it alone; that or simply shut your computer off BUT without touching the pop ups. The other way is to press the CONTROL/ALT/DELETE buttons together.

Pretty good advice here, but if right clicking on the tab doesnt close it, you most likely have an ad-serving trojan which is what I would bet the majority of posters have in this thread. That's why your av software goes nuts with the pop-ups. The trojan is dling add info or uploading tracking info.

A firewall like Zone Alarm (again totally free) is also usefull for detecting intrusions.

Also for those of you that love FireFox- give Opera a try. Its very similar, but faster with some neet tools like a built in bit torrent client.

Wizkey said:
Here that Admin?

If you don't fix this problem, you are going to start losing posters.

Now I really enjoy this site and I would hate to be chased away by virus', but my machine is worth more to me than this site.

You have a responsibility to make sure this site is safe.

It's not (really) the site. Pop-ups are a way of life. If you come here with a virus and the pop-up exploits it, it is doing you a favor of bringing the intrusion to your attention.

firefox + paid subscription = +EV

I use IE all the time on this site. I have no spyware or adware problems. I use mcaffe virus and firewall. I dunno.....even when I wasn't Platinum...I don't recall any problems. I doubt very much it's the site itself....you could have gotten a virus anywhere.

Wizkey said:
Is there anyway, other than switching browsers, to safely surf this site?

I use Mozilla, not Firefox, and Mcafee Anti Viurs and i've never had a single problem surfing this site.

Internet Explorer is a pile of shit , DO NOT USE IT.

Also DO NOT click on any of the advertisments. Most, it not all of them are filled with a trojan or spyware.

OK, some of you have mentioned Winfixer. Winfixer is one of the worst virus' know to man. Even going to Firefox or Mozilla after you think you've deleted Winfixer still doesnt gte rid of it. As fas as l'm aware there is only one way to get rid of winfixer and it needs a lot of techincal know how to succefully delete it. The best thing you can do if you have Winfixer is to do a fresh instal of windows. like i said Winfixer is a SOB to get rid of unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing an have enough time to get it right.

After this download Firefox or Mozilla, I use Mozilla. Also download the latest verison of McAfee Anti Virus and make sure that you enable the automatic updates so your software is protecting you from the latest viruses.

I havn't hada single pop up here form using Mozilla and Mcafee AV. I dont use any pop up blockers whatsoever. You simply dont need to use them.

Fresh instal of windows +mcafee AV + Mozilla or firefox = you'll be fine! :icon_chee

Girljock said:
I use IE all the time on this site. I have no spyware or adware problems. I use mcaffe virus and firewall. I dunno.....even when I wasn't Platinum...I don't recall any problems. I doubt very much it's the site itself....you could have gotten a virus anywhere.

it's got nothign to do with this site. People who are experiencing pop ups on sherdogalready have a virus, trojan etc. The only way you can get infected from this site is if you click on some of the advertisments. Things like "win and xbox for free by shooting the strawberry" etc.

I've had the same problems as everyone has already mentioned, no more work time.

Firefox + Adblock extension works for me. I could tell you what to block to get no ads at all, just a clean site, but I guess that would be a bit unfair to site owners.

Yep I had to have my computer totally cleaned out cause of that damn trojan virus and the spyware ad always pops up still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back