Its insane how great you have to be to beat Aldo....Even a shot Aldo

He's just a cerebral guy who really makes it difficult with slips and such, I love his decision making.. despite not being the most agile or athletic, always does it for me in technique.. 3 fight win streak now, 1 loss to a finish since 2014 in 20 fights.. Underrated imo... Obviously Aldo is Aldo though .. Aldo Bless
6le3QZ.gif

Hope you're well too amigo, Ironnik94 bless... We need to talk Rangnick soon <{coachie}>
Ah, fair enough.
Lol at the GIF, evil Aldo be like: *gibes the finger*

I'm good man!
Yes, that's inevitable, lol!
<{jackyeah}>

Honestly he's not nearly as shot as people say, and he has much more experience than he anyone in the division. Experience is a big thing. And he is not that old and is still in excellent physical shape.

Aldo is past his prime but what is this about him being shot? When has he ever looked shof?

He's not that old, still in great shape. The only thing that changed over the years was his abandoning of leg kicks.

Jose Aldo has some of the best mma fundementals I have ever seen. A true anti wrestler to the end. Font landed a takedown but couldn't keep Aldo there at all.

This is his 17th year of fighting professionally, so he's definitely far removed from his prime, but I wouldn't call him shot. His only terrible performance was against Conor.

peak Conor at his weight bullying best
prime Max
Weird how you call out Conor for weight bullying but not Max who is much bigger than Conor and clearly much more of a weight bully and Conor now fights at solely heavier divisions in which he is outsized?

I was disappointed Rob didn't use any New Times Greco-Roman wrestling.
He could have won and done an interview with Arial Helwani.

I was talking to the long time lady friend about Morono who fought earlier on in the evening, and how well his cerebral boxing works in so many circumstances.. Flash forward a while to us both tired eyed watching Aldo, she noticed the similarities, obviously different level and paced fights, but I was delighted the specifics of slipping and rolling punches was so well perceived(despite us both being outrageously knackered).

You are bang on with your entire post I think.
God the difference in the technical level of Morono v Gall - vs Aldo v Font was so large. Morono isn't bad, but his boxing is so ugly compared to either BW. I mean, imagine how badly a WW sized Aldo would tool Morono. BW is so much deeper and better than WW.

Now you have me thinking, am I crazy in thinking that a bulked Aldo - say 145 Aldo but without the weight cut - would have a good shot at winning a 3 rounder vs Morono at WW?

Aldo is not really shot.

Marlon is shot on the other hand

The narrative that Aldo is shot is wrong.
But that doesn't diminish anything in my eyes.

It's incredible how good he is.
Whereas he's physically not as much of a force as he used to be and not the leg kicker he once was, he's a better boxer than he ever used to be.

War Aldo.
His boxing has gotten better but that's the only improvement and doesn't make up for everything else he's lost imo. His gas tank used to be a bit better, used to be much faster, used to have an iron chin, impossible to takedown. The leg kicks as you mentioned, defensively he's always been really good

I love me some aldo. I respect the path he took in mma too. Never left brazil. Learn english move to the states?

His career is insane from the beginning to where we are RIGHT NOW in it. GSP could learn a thing or two about what a TRUE goat looks like.. We get to see your comeup. your prime. and your twilight.

People like Aldo to me are the truest of MMA fighters..

He is the shit, no doubt! That being said, I think "shot" is a poor choice of words. Past his prime, for sure, there is no question about that but he is most definitely not shot. I reserve that for guys like Cerrone, Shogun, Fedor, etc. Aldo doing what he's doing these days is impressive as fuck though, he is definitely quite a ways from his best and what's left is still significantly better than most of his contemporaries. For my money WEC-era Aldo was the best FW I've seen though Max is right there with him.

I do find the contingent of this forum complaining about Aldo grappling last night plain dumb. This is MMA. He showed a complete game to win last night, just like Max did against Yair. Some of you need to go watch boxing or Glory. Do you guys even know what you're watching?

Even funnier is Aldo either dropped or hurt Font in four of those five rounds last night and he's still getting shit for out-grappling him last night and continuing to work to pass despite being in top control.

MMA fans are the worst.

MMA fans are the worst.

Great take, but the above part? QFMFT. Maybe other sports have just as many retarded fans, I don't know as I've never discussed any others on a message board, but I'm guessing not and my assumption as to why is that in regards to football, baseball, basketball, soccer, etc many, if not the vast majority, of those fans have participated in them at some level even if only peewee or little league. I am willing to bet the farm that a much, much lower percentage of people have participated in any form of organized ass kicking.

His boxing has gotten better but that's the only improvement and doesn't make up for everything else he's lost imo. His gas tank used to be a bit better, used to be much faster, used to have an iron chin, impossible to takedown. The leg kicks as you mentioned, defensively he's always been really good
Fair enough

The narrative that Aldo is shot is wrong.
this. he's not shot, he's not a 'carcass' for sure. anyone who looks like he did last night (and for the past few fights) can't be called shot. a lot of fight miles, maybe not in his prime anymore but he's only 35. and he looks damn hungry. put anyone other than max or volk in front of him right now and i'd give him pretty good odds.

I really don't understand how people on this forum are so oblivious to what's happening when it's obvious to see. Jose Aldo didn't abandon leg kicks because he has bad fight IQ or a dumb game plan. He has a foot injury and you guys are so dumb not to notice god damn. He didn't want to throw leg kicks and when his corner finally yelled at him enough to get him to throw them, he threw three leg kicks and immediately messed his foot up. Did no one notice how after he threw only three leg kicks he couldn't stand on that foot and kept standing on one leg in between rounds and after the fight?

I actually think he might've done even better if he hadn't thrown them because we have no way of knowing how bad he hurt his foot. After the fight I was worried for his next fight I hope he can still workout hard in camp

Back