Media Jamie Varner not a fan of Laura Sanko's commentary

I beg to differ. Laura is professional, articulate and passionate. For me she is the best color commentator. Better than DC, Cruz, Bisping and Felder.

Cruz is great as an analyst, very articulate but as a commentator he lacks professionalism and makes snarky comments and also lacks passion; tries to suck the fun out of an event.

DC also lacks professionalism and acts like a schoolgirl when paired with Rogan.

There are very few color commentary gigs with the UFC to begin with and they come about extremely infrequently. The color commentator is supposed to provide expert analysis, and while very knowledgable, Sanko is absolutely not an expert.

It would have been nice to see the gig Sanko got go to a retired female UFC fighter or one nearing retirement like Angela Hill, Julianna Pena, or Michelle Waterson-Gomez; among others. Not only have they all had long established careers fighting in the UFC but they also all have more color commentary experience than Sanko did when she began doing color commentary for DWCS.

Those girls might have more exp, but that doesn't make them better. Pena is shit-tier on commentary. Angela Hill is decent but way too many fans are going to find her voice obnoxious after a while. Waterson is just ok.

Sanko's way better at the job than any of those 3.

WMMA is mostly horrific, but as for commentating I have no issue with someone not having a tremendous amount, or even zero, fight experience. I like Rogan, but he never competed in wrestling, MMA, or BJJ. Did some karate as far as I know and trained in the others, but there is a big difference in training versus competing. I like her, plus she is nice to look at. I'm onboard with Sanko as part of the commentating team. Varner probably has some insight into how bad she was within the sport which might make it tough for him to take her seriously.

Remember when Varner pulled an acting job to get out of a fight he was about to lose?

I sure do.

Unless you think Cowboy was going to get a finish in the last minute of that fight Varner wasn’t going to lose. Even if you give Cowboy the last round (2/3 judges actually scored the partial round for Varner) Varner was still going to win by split decision.

what a stupid take by varner. by his logic anik shouldn't be commentating. heck joe rogan shouldn't be commentating by his line of thinking

Unless you think Cowboy was going to get a finish in the last minute of that fight Varner wasn’t going to lose. Even if you give Cowboy the last round (2/3 judges actually scored the partial round for Varner) Varner was still going to win by split decision.

That knee also did catch him on the head. It just skimmed the side but was enough to jerk it sideways. Might not seem like much but go ahead and have a Muay Thai based fighter give you a full force knee that skims your head and see how good it felt lol

Another point that need to be made is varner is a literally nobody. Unless he's posting weird shit like this for attention you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who's bring him up in ANY MMA discussion. People still talk about Joe desiel Riggs for fucks sake. Jamie varner was more famous in regionals than he ever was on the big stage.

we just brought up his Lauzon fight. And WEC was not regionals anymore when Zuffa bought it and brought in higher level guys.

UFC was regional level at one point as well before they got distribution

I didn't watch the fights this past weekend but during her previous times with the broadcast team I thought she was very good. Varner probably says he can beat the girls when he watches WMMA aswell

Moronic by Varner.

No reason to pile on such harsh criticism, Sanko is really no worse than the other commentators, and she is absolutely well-versed in the technical elements, enough to do the job.

Varner just guzzlin that haterade.

Remember when Varner pulled an acting job to get out of a fight he was about to lose?

I sure do.

Cerrone was not even close to stopping him. Just because he finally decided to press the action last minute. They still judged the fight as a whole, and cerrone easily lost on the scorecards all round

Back