Media Jason Herzog responds to critics of his reffing during Zhang vs Yan

So did Merab in the Ricky Simon fight and they still count that as a loss, my problem with shit like that is the inconsistency, these athletic commissions are completely useless.
i don't remember that fight, but i'm not surprised at inconsistency. it's the worst part of modern MMA, along with the whole meta game of modern MMA. agreed, judges, commissions, absolutely useless when their is 0 consistency with the interpretation of the ruleset.

His low key pretty good, yesterday he fucked up, imho.

I can understand how people would think because I did myself, but after watching it closely, Herzog was right there in the last seconds physically checking on Yan making sure she was conscious and she was.

It wasn't until literally the last second of the round when Weili rolled from her side to her back that Yan went out. There was no time between when Yan went unconscious and the end of the round for Herzog to step in to call it.

At the same time I think Herzog going on social media actively responding to criticism by mocking people with accusation of gambling loses is extremely inappropriate and should likely be disciplined based on the fact that his words show a very active conscious thinking about the control and impact his decision have on the money won or lost by people gambling on fights he is officiating.

Athletic commission referee joking about gambling on social media. No standard of ethics or conduct to become a referee in Nevada and most states. In any normal profession where one is supposed to an independent arbiter you are to avoid any appearance of impropriety. Farcical.

Good. It's MMA. Let's keep it a bit old school and trashy for as long as we can.

So did Merab in the Ricky Simon fight and they still count that as a loss, my problem with shit like that is the inconsistency, these athletic commissions are completely useless.
Merab did not get up immediately.

what makes herzog the best ref in MMA is his crouching stance/shuffle. Technique is on point , I’m pretty sure think they motion captured for the ufc video game

I prefer when the refs show this kind of technique.

giphy.gif

I can understand how people would think because I did myself, but after watching it closely, Herzog was right there in the last seconds physically checking on Yan making sure she was conscious and she was.

It wasn't until literally the last second of the round when Weili rolled from her side to her back that Yan went out. There was no time between when Yan went unconscious and the end of the round for Herzog to step in to call it.

At the same time I think Herzog going on social media actively responding to criticism by mocking people with accusation of gambling loses is extremely inappropriate and should likely be disciplined based on the fact that his words show a very active conscious thinking about the control and impact his decision have on the money won or lost by people gambling on fights he is officiating.
I believe she was "awake" when he checked but the hand, but the choke was there for more time after that, and she went to sleep right after that sequence, she was LIMP when the round ended, its shocking how Zhang lets her go and has to push her away, then the pounding, that was a little less bad i guess.

I don't think it was even a full-on fuck up. A debatable decision, certainly, but Yan got up immediately and seemed good to go.

Compared to the daily gigantic fuckups of the other refs, Herzog is a legend.
"Immediately", she takes some time and BARELY stood up and walked to her corner, i dont listen to the nonsense Rogan or someone mentioned about the cutman actually having to wake her up, when the choke is removed she was limp for a few good seconds, that was enough to call the fight.

PS: I would love to watch the corner footage.

I believe she was "awake" when he checked but the hand, but the choke was there for more time after that, and she went to sleep right after that sequence, she was LIMP when the round ended, its shocking how Zhang lets her go and has to push her away, then the pounding, that was a little less bad i guess.

"Immediately", she takes some time and BARELY stood up and walked to her corner, i dont listen to the nonsense Rogan or someone mentioned about the cutman actually having to wake her up, when the choke is removed she was limp for a few good seconds, that was enough to call the fight.

PS: I would love to watch the corner footage.

When you pay for the fights you can rewatch things very closely as many times as you want which I have. Yan was definitely unconscious at the end of the round but she went unconscious less than one second before the round ended. The fighter held on and made it to the end of the round so there is absolutely no reason to stop the fight at that point, that would have been a horrible failure by the ref. The fighter made it to the bell and needs to be given that time between rounds to recover and make it back out to meet the starting bell for the next round just like the end of every other round.

I can’t fault Herzog for giving the fighter every opportunity to fight on and he’s still my favourite ref. To his credit, Yan did cheat death but she also popped up and walked back to her corner just like anyone else would. Twice in that fight she looked like she was beaten fair and square but congrats to both ladies for being relentless for 25 min.

the bell rung, she got up. there's no mystery here. if you think otherwise, hand in your sherdog card.

I don't think it was even a full-on fuck up. A debatable decision, certainly, but Yan got up immediately and seemed good to go.

Compared to the daily gigantic fuckups of the other refs, Herzog is a legend.

I'm not criticising the ref generally, but I'm shocked people are arguing that this isn't a fuck up from the ref, the fight should have been over.

Logically, you cannot be a RNC for that long without going to sleep, it was locked in for at least 15 seconds. If the ref would have checked her arm in the final few few seconds of the round, he'd have seen it was limp. If he'd have checked it immediately when the bell goes, he'll see it's limp.

The fact Zhang was underneath Yan and lift her up slightly and pull her leg out to get out from underneath her, made it look like Yan was still moving after the round finished but it was Zhang moving her. It took around 4+ seconds for her to stand up after the round had finished and she wouldn't have been wobbling all over the place if she hadn't just been napping.

The fact the buzzer has gone doesn't mean the ref can't stop the fight. If the fighter is unconscious when the round ends, they lose.

I'm not criticising the ref generally, but I'm shocked people are arguing that this isn't a fuck up from the ref, the fight should have been over.

Logically, you cannot be a RNC for that long without going to sleep, it was locked in for at least 15 seconds. If the ref would have checked her arm in the final few few seconds of the round, he'd have seen it was limp. If he'd have checked it immediately when the bell goes, he'll see it's limp.

The fact Zhang was underneath Yan and lift her up slightly and pull her leg out to get out from underneath her, made it look like Yan was still moving after the round finished but it was Zhang moving her. It took around 4+ seconds for her to stand up after the round had finished and she wouldn't have been wobbling all over the place if she hadn't just been napping.

The fact the buzzer has gone doesn't mean the ref can't stop the fight. If the fighter is unconscious when the round ends, they lose.
We have the benefit of video replay. In the moment it wasn't as obvious that Yan was out, and she got up without any hesitation at all. I'm sure he was on the verge of waving it off, but she recovered so quickly he reconsidered.

It may have been technically a fuck up, but a forgivable one IMO.

We have the benefit of video replay. In the moment it wasn't as obvious that Yan was out, and she got up without any hesitation at all. I'm sure he was on the verge of waving it off, but she recovered so quickly he reconsidered.

I didn't need a replay to know she was out, and I'm not a ref with years of experience, who's 2 feet away from the action, with the ability to test the arm of the fighter to confirm that they're out.

The ref must know she's been in a RNC for an absurdly long time, knows she's stopped moving in the final few seconds.

I think the ref's problem was, at 7 seconds left in the round he went to test the arm and Yan shook him off to say she was OK, and he felt embarrassed to test it again after that. It was amateurish.

See, this is why I ignore most of the shit said on this forum. she was out. Cold. When he grabbed her hand she was already stiff. She didnt 'get up without any hesitation' and if you think she did I pray for your family because you're a fucking retard.

He physically grabbed her at 7 seconds and she definitively responded and was right there looking after that and there was noticeable change in her. There is no question she was completely out at the bell, but you are also completely wrong that if the fighter is unconscious when the round ends they lose the fight. That is not the way this sport works at all. Fighters have been knocked unconscious due to strikes during rounds and gotten back up to win the fight.

Yan made it to the bell without the fight being stopped, she was no longer in any danger at that point and she was able to get up on her own and walk back to her corner. Why the hell would you think the fight should be stopped then?

See, this is why I ignore most of the shit said on this forum. she was out. Cold. When he grabbed her hand she was already stiff. She didnt 'get up without any hesitation' and if you think she did I pray for your family because you're a fucking retard.
You should rewatch the fight and actually pay attention this time. Thanks.

Athletic commission referee joking about gambling on social media. No standard of ethics or conduct to become a referee in Nevada and most states. In any normal profession where one is supposed to an independent arbiter you are to avoid any appearance of impropriety. Farcical.

Relax lol. It looks like a fake account haha.

lmaoo!!!!!!

Jason is going off. MMA fans need to be put in their place sometimes. Arman punching out that one fan who tried to poke his face during the walkout deserved that one as well.

'when professionals fight back!'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kechan123
Back