• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jazz is overrated hipster crap

Loved this band even before I knew what jazz fusion is.

My wife then called me pretentious.
<JonesDXSuckIt>

Excellent choices. I'll raise you Herbie Hancock:

I was gonna not listen to that cause I'm vehemently against modern Jazz, but Herbie Funk is alright by me.

Even the funeral Jazz is good.

I blame Kenny G and his stupid pentatonic noodling nonsense for ruining the name of Jazz in the eyes of the public.
MI0001402159.jpg

No sax before marriage baby

I was gonna not listen to that cause I'm vehemently against modern Jazz, but Herbie Funk is alright by me.

Even the funeral Jazz is good.

It's all good. I'm assuming you're a jazz purist? I can respect that.

Shit thread. Shit poster.

Since this is a thread about jazz, I'll post my favorite album:

Honestly, keep your stupidass opinions to yourself.

I've located the TS and tied him to a chair, and am forcing him to listen to 18 minutes of Coltrane. He will resist at first, but by the end of it he will be a convert. It's for his own good.

Also I think this thread forgot jazz singing influenced every genre on the spectrum, everywhere. Resolving notes turning sharp/flat, harmonies playing with dissonance, meter experimentation is part of a ton of the music you love

In case you needed an example of great jazz singing

<{RoseRun}>

I blame Kenny G and his stupid pentatonic noodling nonsense for ruining the name of Jazz in the eyes of the public.

He did his fair share of damage.

Free form jazz gave way to spastic proggy math rock/metal, which is a genre I can really enjoy occasionally. I dig the complexity that comes from it. But yeah, a lot of "jazz" artists really just boiled the genre down to boring generic noodling, and I wouldn't blame anyone for having a distaste for it.

change my

You know what screw you it ain’t changing

Cinc, homes, I don’t know if you know this, but I am a highly accomplished musician (feel free to ask waigen, he asked me to send him a clip of my playing, in his words, I am “elite level”).

I am a multi-instrumentalist, and have studied classical and jazz at the highest levels. Jazz is every bit as sophisticated as classical music, and in fact FAR more harmonically and melodically complex than practically anything pre, late romantic era.

Honestly, the problem is you can’t “hear it”. It takes about a decade of work to actually reach the point where you understand what you’re hearing. To give you an idea, I was an accomplished classical player (performing Bach fugues for instance), had years of theory and ear training under my belt, and it still took me a solid 5 years of several hours a Day work (between 2-6) to truly be able to hear it.

Make no mistake, John Coltrane is every bit the musician as Mozart.

Jazz does not have structure. Jazz musicians will say that the structure is formed by the interplay of the musicians. But it doesn't help the listener, if they don't understand what is taking place.

Classical music, as an alternative, is strict and structured to sound the same each time. It's a better listening experience for the listener.

Jazz does not have structure. Jazz musicians will say that the structure is formed by the interplay of the musicians. But it doesn't help the listener, if they don't understand what is taking place.

Classical music, as an alternative, is strict and structured to sound the same each time. It's a better listening experience for the listener.

^^^ this is why you never take anything on the Internet as truth.

Dear sir, you’re embarrassing yourself.

^^^ this is why you never take anything on the Internet as truth.

Dear sir, you’re embarrassing yourself.

Pretty much this.

"Jazz has no structure" might be in the top 10 dumbest things I've read on Sherdog today and, believe me, the competition is stiff.

Back