Jim Lampley: Floyd Mayweather ‘obviously’ threw rounds against Conor McGregor to set up rematch

1000% agree about the stupid revisionism. I was watching the fight amazed at how well Conor was doing. But still Came away with the realization that there is an enormous skill gap between the two. What surprised me the most was Floyd's lack of respect for Conor's power aside from the Uppercut that clearly hit Floyd hard, he didn't seem to fear his power that much, but maybe that's to do with Conor tiring out.

It has to do with the style matchup. Mayweather is obviously a way better boxer, particularly in the 12-round format with big gloves, but because Mayweather's A-game (counterpunch at range) doesn't work well against McGregor's A-game, Mayweather was forced to play his C- or D-game. Teddy Atlas said as much after the fight "McGregor forced a gourmet chef to become a fry cook".

And his extreme lack of skill.. lol. jesus.
Why the hyperbole? Obviously Mayweather is the more skilled boxer, particularly in the 12-round format with big gloves. But the stylistic matchup is one that Mayweather never faced before and it gave him some issues. Why does everyone have to get their panties in a bunch about this?

Why the hyperbole? Obviously Mayweather is the more skilled boxer, particularly in the 12-round format with big gloves. But the stylistic matchup is one that Mayweather never faced before and it gave him some issues. Why does everyone have to get their panties in a bunch about this?

That 'stylistic' matchup talk was nonsense. I'm sure Floyd was really thrown off by Conor's terrible pacing, arm punches and technique. Floyd did what he does.. When he saw all that conor had to offer he went after him.

That 'stylistic' matchup talk was nonsense. I'm sure Floyd was really thrown off by Conor's terrible pacing, arm punches and technique. Floyd did what he does.. When he saw all that conor had to offer he went after him.

Does it give you any pause that your opinion is diametrically opposed to that of Teddy Atlas?

He was 49-0 but had only faced 7 southpaws. None of those southpaws had anywhere near the reach of McGregor. As a boxer, McGregor is essentially a poor man's mirror version of Mayweather's A-game. In this fight Mayweather was forced to abandon his A-game.

Mayweather is not usually the type of guy to lose rounds but he lost at least three in this fight. It's a not a coincidence.

Does it give you any pause that your opinion is diametrically opposed to that of Teddy Atlas?

He was 49-0 but had only faced 7 southpaws. None of those southpaws had anywhere near the reach of McGregor. As a boxer, McGregor is essentially a poor man's mirror version of Mayweather's A-game. In this fight Mayweather was forced to abandon his A-game.

Mayweather is not usually the type of guy to lose rounds but he lost at least three in this fight. It's a not a coincidence.

Teddy Atlas has said some outrageous things in the past. Not that I don't appreciate his enthusiasm. McGregor had some great reach vs Mayweather's previous southpaw opponents, but those winging, shitty punches were garbage. They had no power, and Floyd knew it. His pacing was terrible. Anybody that commended that performance was either pleased the fight was entertaining compared to what most expected, or they were just being nice... Because there are a LOT of people that also share the same feelings Lampley has.. Myself included.. Floyd was always in control in all his fights, and this one was no different. It went how he wanted it to go.

And Mayweather lost 3 rounds to Maidana in the 2nd fight, I don't remember the first, but I'm sure Maidana was up with a good lead after 4-5 rounds. Maidana actually took the fight to him, and looked like he was giving him REAL trouble in the first fight. Conor got what was given to him. Nothing more. Mayweather is willing to lose the first few rounds to figure you out.. It wasn't like he lost rounds while going after conor trying to put him away. He was keeping his distance, learning, and gauging..

lol, lol, lol.... does typing those three letters make you feel smarter?

Sports Illustrated Play by Play
CBS Sports Play by Play
Bloody Elbow Play by Play
MMA Fighting Play by Play

Yes, McGregor sat down on multiple punches in that round.

Veteran commentator Al Bernstein expressed uncertainty about the winner of the 8th right after the round concluded.

With 44 seconds left in the round, Paulie Malignaggi exclaimed that McGregor had won more rounds against Mayweather than any fighter since "maybe Cotto".

Most good elementary schools teach reading comprehension. Consider enrolling.

lol, the 8th wasn't a debatable round. It was clearly for Mayweather seeing as he landed more shots and the shots he did land were much cleaner and had much more on them. You can give McGregor three rounds at most. Just because people are giving McGregor credit for merely surviving doesn't mean that the round was in question if you score according to the actual criteria.

Lmao wait colleen fans actually thought he was winning those rounds by being the better boxer?

Lel

And Mayweather lost 3 rounds to Maidana in the 2nd fight, I don't remember the first, but I'm sure Maidana was up with a good lead after 4-5 rounds. Maidana actually took the fight to him, and looked like he was giving him REAL trouble in the first fight. Conor got what was given to him. Nothing more. Mayweather is willing to lose the first few rounds to figure you out.. It wasn't like he lost rounds while going after conor trying to put him away. He was keeping his distance, learning, and gauging..
I watched the 1st Maidana fight very carefully and wrote down my scores. I gave Maidana one round only, though a few were close.

I watched the 1st Maidana fight very carefully and wrote down my scores. I gave Maidana one round only, though a few were close.

You scored Mayweather/Maidana 1 119-109 Mayweather? Are you serious?

You scored Mayweather/Maidana 1 119-109 Mayweather? Are you serious?

Yep. Try watching it again sometime. Watch carefully and you'll understand. That fight was not close at all. Maidana came forward plenty but didn't land much at all outside of that one round.

It's not 'throwing rounds', it's called taking rounds off to either get a read on your opponent or preserve your cardio.

Yep. Try watching it again sometime. Watch carefully and you'll understand. That fight was not close at all. Maidana came forward plenty but didn't land much at all outside of that one round.

I've seen the fight at least 5 times. Floyd clearly won, but the fewest rounds you can give Maidana is 3 (I had him winning 4 and a lot of people had him winning 5). Giving him fewer than 3 rounds is more or less indefensible.

I've seen the fight at least 5 times. Floyd clearly won, but the fewest rounds you can give Maidana is 3 (I had him winning 4 and a lot of people had him winning 5). Giving him fewer than 3 rounds is more or less indefensible.
Which rounds did you score for him?

Disagree with your score.. I felt Mayweather took that fight over, again. I'm going from memory, haven't seen it since it was live. But I remember Maidana pressuring him against the ropes and landing more than most did prior to him, until Floyd figured him out and he slowed down a little.. Definitely not 119-109.. I thought I remember Maidana winning 4 or 5 of the first 6 rounds. After the 6th it was all Floyd.

Which rounds did you score for him?

I had 3 of the first 6 for Maidana and then he edged a round in the final 6, although, I forget which one. I could dig up my scorecard from the pbp thread, but I don't feel like doing that. I haven't ever seen a card for that fight which only gave Maidana a single round.

Since you like to cite unoffical scores, here is a summary of the unoffical scores for Maidana/Mayweather 1:

• Al Bernstein, Showtime: Mayweather 115-114
  • Jake Donovan, BoxingScene.com: Mayweather 115-113
  • Steve Farhood: Mayweather 115-113
  • Doug Fischer, Editor RingTV.com: Mayweather 115-113
  • Lyle Fitzimmons, BoxingScene.com: Mayweather 116-112
  • Norm Frauenheim, The Ring Magazine, www.15rounds.com: Mayweather 115-113
  • Jeffrey Freeman, www.KODigest.TV: Mayweather 116-113
  • Tom Gray, RingTV.com: Mayweather 115-113
  • David Greisman, BoxingScene.com: Mayweather 115-113
  • Keith Idec, The Record/BoxingScene.com: Mayweather 116-112
  • Matt Hamilton, ESNewsReporting.com: Mayweather 116-112
  • Kevin Iole, Yahoo Sports: Mayweather 115-113
  • Marc Livitz, SecondsOut.com: Mayweather 115-113
  • Paulie Malignaggi, Showtime: Mayweather 115-114
  • Ryan Maquinana, CSN Bay Area/BoxingScene.com: Mayweather 115-113
  • Rich Marotta, KFI Radio, Los Angeles: Mayweather 115-11
  • Diego Morilla, XN Sports: Mayweather 116-112
  • Jack Obermayer, Fight Fax Inc.: Mayweather 115-113
  • John J. Raspanti, Doghouseboxing.com/KO Monthly Magazine/examiner.com: Mayweather 115-113
  • Matt Richardson, Fightnews.com: Mayweather 115-113
  • Chris Robinson, Hustleboss.com/BoxingScene.com: Mayweather 116-112
  • Cliff Rold, BoxingScene.com: Draw, 114-114
  • Michael Rosenthal, The Ring Magazine: Mayweather 115-113
  • Abel Sanchez, trainer of WBA middleweight titleholder Gennady Golovkin: Mayweather 116-112
  • Lem Satterfield, RingTV.com: Mayweather 118-110
  • Tamas Sasvari, Monokli.com: Mayweather 115-113
  • Dominic Verdin, RingTV.com: Mayweather 116-11
  • Anson Wainwright, RingTV.com: Mayweather 116-111

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Floyd_Mayweather_Jr._vs._Marcos_Maidana

Guys say Conor can't box, gets KO'd early, can't land a punch etc.

Same guys have to find excuses as to why they were wrong so they make up a narrative to make them feel better. He should've just said the Russians hack Floyd's brain

Hello
I’m going to tell you now... I know from personal experience that the “TMZ shoots” are as choreographed as they come. I promise you.
Who is behind that ?? No idea but I’ve seen it a handful of times in NYC and it’s the same every time .

Believe what you like.

Anyone who thinks Floyd couldn't have easily won those rounds if he actually tried to is absolutely delusional and knows very little about boxing or Floyd Mayweather. I'm not gonna say he lost them on purpose, but he certainly didn't bother doing enough to win.

Back