Joe Joyce vs Zhang 2 September 23rd

That straight left couldn't miss all night. If he makes no adjustments, and as you say he's probs too old to do it, then he'll walk onto that punch all night. For the record i think Fury would do Zhang, but that's just hypothetical, as he isn't fighting anyone at the moment, except popularity.
I just cant see Joyce doing much different at this point. This dude is about to be 38.

That straight left couldn't miss all night. If he makes no adjustments, and as you say he's probs too old to do it, then he'll walk onto that punch all night. For the record i think Fury would do Zhang, but that's just hypothetical, as he isn't fighting anyone at the moment, except popularity.

I think we owe Joyce the credibility of being able to make one relatively simple adjustment for one of the bigger fights of his career.

And then we get to see what Xhang has as a counter adjustment too.

I think it will be more interesting than just more of the same. But who knows.

I think the fight will look the same. Joyce gets hit often early in all of his fights against decent opponents - Jennings, Parker and Dubois all had early success until the mid rounds. He can win the fight, he just has to weather the early storm without taking too much damage.

Zhang - Fury is just talk at this point. Fury and his promoter talk a lot without following through. Every negotiation besides the fight of the century Chisora II was just hot air for months now. I really wouldnt put much into these rumours. Much better getting Joyce -Zhang II which will be an interesting fight of two boxers actually interested in fighting.

I expect Joyce to make the necessary adaption to get into the second half of the fight to then turn it up when Zhangs cardio goes down. A lot more defensive the first half and then attack.

Fury seems to be talking up fights at this point to keep his name in the spotlight and remain relevant. I cannot however avoid the feeling that he just doesn't have the desire to fight anymore at this stage and to risk his legacy and record to a possible loss.

I just cant see Joyce doing much different at this point. This dude is about to be 38.

The only thing he can do is moving to Zihei’s right and I do hope he learned this lesson.

I was astounded how clueless he was against the straight left too. Maybe it was just an anomaly and he believes he won’t have such a terrible night second time around. ‍♂️

The only thing he can do is moving to Zihei’s right and I do hope he learned this lesson.
Hes not a good boxer and seems to have zero ring IQ or strategy. If he didnt have an otherworldly chin he would be a gigantic can.

Hes not a good boxer and seems to have zero ring IQ or strategy. If he didnt have an otherworldly chin he would be a gigantic can.

He didn’t fight dumb against Dubois. I think he may have underrated Zhang. We’ll see what happens in the rematch anyway.

He didn’t fight dumb against Dubois. I think he may have underrated Zhang. We’ll see what happens in the rematch anyway.
I view Dubois a couple tiers below these guys but that is true. He outclassed him for sure.

I see Joyce in a similar light as Wilder. Very technically limited fighters that dont seem to employ much of any strategy.

I view Dubois a couple tiers below these guys but that is true. He outclassed him for sure.

I see Joyce in a similar light as Wilder. Very technically limited fighters that dont seem to employ much of any strategy.

I used to believe that Joyce was able to do better than Wilder tactically speaking but that he thought he could get away with a very basic « take 2 to land 1 » strategy more often than not. The Zhang fight obviously shattered the limitless confidence he likely had on his durability. To me his asking for a rematch shows that he believes he can adjust - as an individual he’s not dumb as a rock and I doubt he’ll just stand in front of Zhang expecting a different outcome. I may be wrong of course but I think he’ll try something else (and maybe fail as he’s no Floyd Mayweather, obviously).

I used to believe that Joyce was able to do better than Wilder tactically speaking but that he thought he could get away with a very basic « take 2 to land 1 » strategy more often than not. The Zhang fight obviously shattered the limitless confidence he likely had on his durability. To me his asking for a rematch shows that he believes he can adjust - as an individual he’s not dumb as a rock and I doubt he’ll just stand in front of Zhang expecting a different outcome. I may be wrong of course but I think he’ll try something else (and maybe fail as he’s no Floyd Mayweather, obviously).
Im expecting to see him be more aggressive than usual. Which is saying a lot because he comes to bang lol.

Honestly, I'd pick Wilder to beat Zhang. Zhang has had problems with big punchers in the amateur ranks and is a southpaw. Getting in a rear hand shootout with Wilder is a bad idea, not to mention that Zhang is slower than Wilder.

Looking at how good an old version of Zhang is doing I really wonder what would have happened if Cammarelle (and even Zhang) turned pro right after the 2008 Olympics. Roberto had the style to give Wlad lots of problems.

Start earlier, IMO. He took too long to get going against Zhang.
Yeah, when the fight got stopped it was right at that tilting point when Joyce was beginning to take over slowly as Zhang was starting to gas. A faster start might just tire Zhang out early enough to make it a fair fight before Joyce gets stopped this time around, and a gassed giant might be vulnerable enough for that same Joyce to stop himself.

Its crazy Alex pereira sparring session improved Zhang so much that he beat previously much superior fighter Joyce.

Zhang however ,being a much inferior fighter, deteriorated Alex so much that he lost to some anime nerd he beat up 3 times before.

imho, Zhang should thank Alex and apologise. Alex should sue. Career stains are no laughing matter.

His problem is I don’t think he can. He fights at 1 pace for the whole12 rounds, he gets hit a lot whilst his opponent is fresh, then takes over when they inevitably start slowing down. I expect this fight to look exactly the same. Joyce can still win, as long as he can stay conscious and not take too much damage by mid rounds

Has he shown that before though? Getting after it right out the gates? I wont pretend to have followed all his fights but the ones Ive watched he looks identical in all of them. A slow terminator eating punches and walking/wearing guys down.

Joyce should come in and box smart like he did against Dubois and he'll eventually wear Zhang down. Zhang isn't good and Joyce should really be beating him.

Back