John Berardi Vegetarian?

haha, before I saw that you qouted yourself I thought "damn what a redneck" =)
but I to was a big meat eater before I went vegetarian and then vegan.

by the way, all the talk about 30 days makes me think about the episode of 30 days where the hunter goes to live with a vegan. nothing about the thread and don't you dare feel like im forcing my beliefs on you. just if someone is interested in why anyone could go vegan in the first place.

definitively, but then again that is not so bad for a thread about vegetarianism/veganism on sherdog.

it's your decision how you want to eat, but I think it's fallacious for vegans and vegetarians to argue that they feel better after dropping meat from their diet, when in reality they ate like 2 servings of shitty fruits and vegetables per day before drinking the vegie Koolaid. I think it's not that people need to eat less meat, it's that we need to eat more fruits and veggies and less grain.

I don't understand why you carnivores get so worked up. What if JB shows good gains and is actually impressed with his veggie diet? Then do us vegetarians/vegans get an apology? Or are we really gonna have to settle this in the Octagon!?@?@?@?@?

Good gains? He's the clean-eating guru; he's not going to significantly improve anything over a 30 day period no matter what he does. I predict that at the end of this farce he says that he's going to go back to eating meat, but that one could get by without it. The end. Normal people will claim a victory and the mentally infirm will claim a victory. Then we'll argue.

Holy shit congrats, Noise!!! That awesome news. Save your pennies on not buying PN v3 and buy some vegan EPA/DHA and vitamin D2 for momma, 'cause it's all about the little one now. :icon_chee
Mike,

Thanks for the kind words man. Yeah - we always do the research of course. B-12 being the big issue as always. Her pre-natal vitamins are stacked of c ourse, and she also takes a EPA/DHA supp as well. Of course, Michigan in Winter definitely lacks in the sunshine department so Vitamin D stores have to be big time, ha. All her pre-pregnancy blood work has come back perfect, so that's good.

I suppose this comes back to a post I made a long time ago. Being vegan, my sperm obviously worked, ha. Unless of course she was messin' around on the side.

You know, I currently take no supps what so-ever, I'll have to put some plan together to include them. I'm working on cutting weight now, so we'll see how that goes as well. I gotta cut some weight and get in better shape if we're gonna have another little asshole vegan running around here.

Thanks again man!

EDIT: Mike, you may find this interesting. At her first (educational) doctors appointment the other day, they gave her a DHA supp. Get this, it's a vegetarian source. Says right on the box "Non-Fish Source." I thought that was interesting. Mind you, they do not even know she's vegan yet. They even mentioned to everyone in the class "It's advisable but not imperative to eat fish at least once a week."

Noise, are you going to allow your child to breast feed or will he/she being hitting the soy formula from day one?

Noise, are you going to allow your child to breast feed or will he/she being hitting the soy formula from day one?
Barut,

Definitely not hitting the soy formula, ha. No formula for as long as we can hack it. The goal is the breast feed for at least a year if not two. We eat very little processed soy in our house. If we use soy, it's very little, usually only as a condiment. In our house, it's all about whole grains, beans, rice, veggies, fruits, leafy greens.

Barut,

Definitely not hitting the soy formula, ha. No formula for as long as we can hack it. The goal is the breast feed for at least a year if not two. We eat very little processed soy in our house. If we use soy, it's very little, usually only as a condiment. In our house, it's all about whole grains, beans, rice, veggies, fruits, leafy greens.

Is that the macrobiotic diet? (Macrobiotic diet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

If so, I recommend that you google Ruby Pointer and read about her. Kids need fat and protein.

Is that the macrobiotic diet? (Macrobiotic diet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

If so, I recommend that you google Ruby Pointer and read about her. Kids need fat and protein.
No, it's not macro-biotic. Just a strict plant-based diet is all. I'll google her as you suggest, but I've heard it all. On that note, did I say that the kid wouldn't be getting fat or protein? Our kid will be getting plenty of fat and protein. It may not be getting as much fat, and probably getting more quality fat than your average westerner, but it will get fat. Protein is not an issue on our diet at all either.

Thanks.

No, it's not macro-biotic. Just a strict plant-based diet is all. I'll google her as you suggest, but I've heard it all. On that note, did I say that the kid wouldn't be getting fat or protein? Our kid will be getting plenty of fat and protein. It may not be getting as much fat, and probably getting more quality fat than your average westerner, but it will get fat. Protein is not an issue on our diet at all either.

Thanks.

I wasn't trying to tell you how to live your life or raise your kid. Good luck with the pregnancy. It's a tough time, but is also very rewarding. Good luck.

I wasn't trying to tell you how to live your life or raise your kid. Good luck with the pregnancy. It's a tough time, but is also very rewarding. Good luck.
Barut,

No worries - I didn't think you were telling me how to live, ha. I'm very much over my militant vegan phase, so don't have to watch your words with me. I've been vegan for 12 years now, so a bit used to all the opposition and what not.

Thanks for the kind words as well. I'm sure it will be a very tough time, but like you said - hopefully rewarding too. Hey, it's going to be my excuse for buying a new lens for my camera :- ) So that's a nice thing.

Eh, I've seen little kids who don't like meat. And you can't force people to like something. Not even with:

"If yah don't eat yer meat, yah can't have any pudding!! How can yah have aneh pudding if yah don't eat yer meat!?!?"

My son was the worst about that. Nitrate free pastured beef hot dogs FTW! (And anything terryaki)

Truth and the first 3 months after that are a whole 'nother world

At her first (educational) doctors appointment the other day, they gave her a DHA supp. Get this, it's a vegetarian source. Says right on the box "Non-Fish Source." I thought that was interesting. Mind you, they do not even know she's vegan yet. They even mentioned to everyone in the class "It's advisable but not imperative to eat fish at least once a week."

I've seen a lot of microalgae DHA supplements. The problem is the EPA. Last time I looked, I only found 1 company selling vegan EPA supplements, and they were pretty expensive. :(

V-pure is such a huge ripoff. It looks like it's 900x more expensive (per mg of EPA) than the fish oil I'm taking.

haha. yeah it does cost a bit, but if it gives me half of what the hype promises then im satisfied.

Back