Jones vs. Gane is similar to GSP vs. Bisping

Honestly, Jones clearly lost that Reyes fight IMO and you can definitely make an argument he lost to Santos who was fighting on a blown ACL too.
I mean you can wish???
Right?

JoneSantos.jpg

Good thing fights arent in the hands of internet fans

GSP went up 15 pounds. Jones is going up 40, or so.

GSP has a matchup weakness; with great wrestlers, with big power. Diaz & Condit were able to win a round via strikes. Obviously both had terrible takedown defense.

Hendricks was able to emphatically win the 2nd & 4th due to big power and great takedown defense. Imo, Romero was going to be a tough matchup at 185.

Jon Jones matches up well with Francis, let alone Gane. One has bad takedown defense and the other has bad cardio. As long as Jon isn’t washed, I could see him defending his belt. Stipe is his toughest matchup, imo.
you are crazy and simply wrong.
Stipe is not his toughest matchup.
Jon does not match up well with Francis.
Francis was his toughest matchup.
It's not surprising given that, that this fight didn't get made until Francis was out.

Interesting (partial) parallel, though I'm not convinced the end result will be the same.

Gane is a fringe top 5 HW (I'd put him at 5 or 6), whereas Bisping arguably wasn't even one of the 10 best MWs at the time.

Out of curiosity, who do you rank above Gane? Even with the holes surrounding his grappling I struggle to not consider him Top 3 or 4 at least within the UFC.

Lmao… Ping was an old man with more tear and wear than a 300k miles 1995 Camry. Fatelum flattened him like a taco bell quesadilla a few months later. Gane is in his absolute prime. Gsp took the Ping fight for a reason…. he’s a very smart man. Jones is taking a HUGE risk here.

Bisping was coming off the best wins of his career when he fought GSP.

Bisping had one eye and a reconstructed knee and retired one fight later.

I had thought about that... until I thought some more. Bisping was well past his prime, slower and missing an eye.

Gane is in his physical prime, probably quicker than Jones, who has packed on mass and is testing HW for the first time against somebody who he won't have a huge reach or height advantage over.

Jones has had an amazing career, but half his prime has been wasted outside the octagon. I'm sure he'll show some flashes of his former self, but Gane is taking this.

Good thing Gane has two eyes though.

Gane has 2 eyes buddeh

Gane only has one eye?

<JonesLaugh>

upload_2023-2-28_4-58-7.png

upload_2023-2-28_4-58-27.png

upload_2023-2-28_4-59-3.png

upload_2023-2-28_4-59-29.png

upload_2023-2-28_4-59-48.png

Bruh Bisping was literally handicapped. It's not at all the same.

What the fuck are you talking about

GSP came back to fight a one-eyed (!!!!!) Champion, one of the weakest Champion of the entire history of UFC MW, who retired 1 year after

JJ is coming back to fight a fresh, young and healty beast in his prime who will possibly stay in the top 3 for years to come

No, it's not.
-Gane is in his prime. Bisping wasn't.
-GSP was always training. JBJ wasn't.
-GSP has a healthy lifestyle. JBJ doesn't.
That is what I came here to say.
GSP and Jones are prob the most physically gifted athletes ever in their divisions

The thing is GSP was always training, eating healthy and training with the very best even when he stopped fighting for a bit

Jon has been drinking, snorting cocaine, smoking, booting steroids. That shit wears on your body over years and years. And now he’s training with a bunch of UFC rejects that offer little to mimic Gane in training. And he’s a few months away from 36

Not to mention GSP was legit fighting a guy with one eye

No, it's not.
-Gane is in his prime. Bisping wasn't.
-GSP was always training. JBJ wasn't.
-GSP has a healthy lifestyle. JBJ doesn't.
Perfectly summed up. If anything, Jones is more like Nick Diaz, who also came back after a multi-year bender.

Lmao… Ping was an old man with more tear and wear than a 300k miles 1995 Camry. Fatelum flattened him like a taco bell quesadilla a few months later. Gane is in his absolute prime. Gsp took the Ping fight for a reason…. he’s a very smart man. Jones is taking a HUGE risk here.
A few weeks later actually. Bisping fought Gastelum and retired just 3 weeks after the GSP fight. I agree with you, the Jones-Gane fight is different in that Gane is in his prime and Bisping was on the brink of retiring.

Jones came off a controversial decision win over Reyes and went AWOL.

GSP came off a controversial decision win over Hendricks and went AWOL.

GSP and Jones were both out of their prime, with a long list of decision wins.

GSP decision wins:
View attachment 970951

Jones decision wins:

View attachment 970952

Bisping is a bigger striker and one of the weaker MW champions with weak grappling.
Gane is a bigger striker and never been a HW champion with extremely weak grappling.

Even the narrative is very much the same. People doubted GSP due to the long lay off and how he looked against Hendricks. People are doubting Jones due to the long lay off and how he looked against Reyes.

Will Jones choke out Gane?
The only similarity is that both Jones and GSP are opportunists who only moved up weight class due to them identifying a strategically winnable fight. The difference, however, is that I think Jones has miscalculated, and will lose to Gane.

I still haven't forgiven GSP for beating Bisping, then going AWOL the moment he had to fight Bobby Knuckles, who would have clearly destroyed him.

Back