Julian Jackson's power, overrated?

i remember milton mcrory won 17 fights by kayo but once he started fighting for titles his power really started looking pretty unimpressive. that's fairly common.
Joseph Parker would be another one. He looked like a really good puncher coming up, but hasn’t shown much in his last 5-6 fights.

Joseph Parker would be another one. He looked like a really good puncher coming up, but hasn’t shown much in his last 5-6 fights.
power is so damned entrancing, that it blinds even longtime fans who should know better. When I was young, the Hagler Hearns fight was the real fight of the era, basing what each man did with duran, my young, immature boxing mind did not see a way that someone that fast and powerful could lose (even though he already had to leonard), it's the skills and sublties as well as the intangibles (can't forget a solid chin) that really dominate at that level. throw in a great chin and just one dimensional power is always doomed. Been many times a more well rounded, less powerful guy has kayoed a killer. Nigel Benn pretty much quit against Watson when he saw his power wasn't going to do it. I remember a fella named Jose "the threat" baret who was kayoing everyone he fought, they matched him with the less impressive but complete fighter, marlon starling who never even let him land, he took him apart and made him quit, same with Ali Foreman and many others. Many never come back from when their power doesn't work and most of them have issues, foreman took years to come to terms with Zaire, Jose the threat baret never fought again, Nigel Benn and Julian Jackson were exceptions who learned and came back stronger. A good fighter must have a working knowledge of just about everything, even ali, who couldn't do many things, could still do a little of a lot. If he had to come forward and be the aggressor, he did, if he had to slug, he did, if he had to rest and take punishment he did, very versatile with what little he had.

power is so damned entrancing, that it blinds even longtime fans who should know better. When I was young, the Hagler Hearns fight was the real fight of the era, basing what each man did with duran, my young, immature boxing mind did not see a way that someone that fast and powerful could lose (even though he already had to leonard), it's the skills and sublties as well as the intangibles (can't forget a solid chin) that really dominate at that level. throw in a great chin and just one dimensional power is always doomed. Been many times a more well rounded, less powerful guy has kayoed a killer. Nigel Benn pretty much quit against Watson when he saw his power wasn't going to do it. I remember a fella named Jose "the threat" baret who was kayoing everyone he fought, they matched him with the less impressive but complete fighter, marlon starling who never even let him land, he took him apart and made him quit, same with Ali Foreman and many others. Many never come back from when their power doesn't work and most of them have issues, foreman took years to come to terms with Zaire, Jose the threat baret never fought again, Nigel Benn and Julian Jackson were exceptions who learned and came back stronger. A good fighter must have a working knowledge of just about everything, even ali, who couldn't do many things, could still do a little of a lot. If he had to come forward and be the aggressor, he did, if he had to slug, he did, if he had to rest and take punishment he did, very versatile with what little he had.
you know who lost their punching power but came back stronger? Calzaghe. He started off his career as a pretty vaunted puncher. Not a Foreman figure, but a strong puncher (after all, you need to hit hard to put down a guy like Eubank). However, his hand injuries got worse and worse, so he had to adjust his fighting style to a new kind of success.

Better opposition just means harder to hit, not necessarily better chins.

And I don't think you can make any claims about a fighter like Norris's chin when Jackson knocked him out because he had never been stopped before up and until that point. Chins are often not the same after they get cracked like that.

Better opposition just means harder to hit, not necessarily better chins.

And I don't think you can make any claims about a fighter like Norris's chin when Jackson knocked him out because he had never been stopped before up and until that point. Chins are often not the same after they get cracked like that.
that has to have something to do with it, the better the fighter, the better they are at defense or lessening the power of a punch. Did Ali even take one real good punch from George? He got hit, sure, but i never thought he got hit that solidly. as far as the aging chin? i've heard that theory but never really saw much proof of it. I don't know what Norris' chin was like before that fight so i can't say he had a good chin before but he definitely had one of the weaker chins i've seen for a fighter at the pfp level.

Jokes aside, the man had power that could spark any man out. Insane crack in those punches.

not really. dude could crack unlike many others and it usually had devastating consequences. few highlight reels, if any, are as violent as the hawk’s.

It doesnt matter wether one koes bums or elite guys with a single shot cold. Single shot ko power is single shot ko power. Its not like he was beating them round after round until they collapsed under his shots. It was one shot lights out power. And wether that lands on an elite guy or a bum it will always shut the lights out. Just wasnt able to land it on elite guys. Still one of the hardest punchers ever.

I know, I know, you probably think I'm an idiot for suggesting this, but hear me out.

Yes, Jackson had scary punching power, but after watching his knockouts on Youtube, I noticed that most of his KOs were against bums. His knockout of Terry Norris, while brutal, isn't that impressive when you consider that Norris had a notoriously weak chin. And even then, Norris managed to get up from getting hit. If Jackson really hit as hard as people say, he would have knocked Norris out cold. The 2 best fighters he faced in McClellan and McCallum knocked him out.

Is Jackson's power overrated?
No.

People bring up the McClellan fight like it some proof that Jackson couldn't KO everyone BUT what happened to McClellan after he had fought Jackson? He suffered traumatic brain damage vs. Nigel Benn. To my mind the punches that he took from Jackson did him long term damage.
I disagree here I think it was that brutal headbutt from Benn that did him in. The first fight was a little back and forth but an early KO and the second fight was a complete blitz.

I'd say everything else gets overrated about him but his power.

Honestly I think the level of competition he beat is no different from a Deontay Wilder, arguably even better, and a lot of people think Wilder is the hardest hitter in history. Herol Graham definitely wasn't a bum, he had never been knocked out before that fight, he looked real good against McCallum.

It just happens to be that most big punchers rarely score wins against actually great fighters.

i remember milton mcrory won 17 fights by kayo but once he started fighting for titles his power really started looking pretty unimpressive. that's fairly common.
Jackson didn't just lose to titlists in his prime they were ATGs and McClellan was an ATG puncher that cut a huge amount of weight.

I'd say everything else gets overrated about him but his power.

Honestly I think the level of competition he beat is no different from a Deontay Wilder, arguably even better, and a lot of people think Wilder is the hardest hitter in history. Herol Graham definitely wasn't a bum, he had never been knocked out before that fight, he looked real good against McCallum.

It just happens to be that most big punchers rarely score wins against actually great fighters.
It's said the boxer beats the puncher.

Back