Just re-watched Fedor vs Arona

I think everyone here is much more worried about this than both Arona and Fedor.

Vale tudo, pancrase etc dont show up on records. Wandy fought lots of vale tudo and gets no mma cred for it. Rings was closer to pancrase which also arent considered on mma record.
sorry... not shown on records?

It is embarrassing to compare it to Silva weidman 2. Sorry to say but it’s true. There’s literally nothing similar. Relevant to the discussion? Fedor face planted and ate undefended blows to the head. It is a stoppage almost all the time. He was at no point “defending himself” before dean stepped in. Even after dean stepped in nothing fedor did suggested he was capable of intelligent defense. And even after that he could barely stand. Again the fights I referenced were the same. Fighter drops and doesn’t demonstrate an ability to continue and ref stops it before fighter gets pummeled further until unconscious. Tyson griffin face planted against Gomi and fight was immediately stopped. He’s not unconscious and doesn’t even eat shots like fedor does. Again there’s literally fights stopped on every single card with fighters less out than fedor was.
I gave Silva vs Weidman as an example of another flash KO, It was part of another discussion. The 2 "undefended" shots, blatantly illegal to the back of the head I might add, was not really undefended. He was turning around and blocking with his arm. I'd say there is an overwhelming chance that fight was ending in a tko win for Hendo either way, I am not saying Fedor was en route to victory, I am saying a few more moments would not have hurt.

The stoppage wasn't horrible, I never claimed it was. I (and you to I reccon) have seen far worse. But it was a couple seconds early. At any rate we are not getting anywhere with this and I feel like I'm posting more then I usually am here. I'll end with this:

Good stoppage: 1: Fedor faceplanted, possibly flash KO'd. 2: Fan made video of Fedor on stanky legs. 3: Other fights being stopped similarly

Bad stoppage: 1: Was he flash KO'd or just rocked and hendos weight on him helped with the faceplant? 2: Fedor starts turning around the moment before Herb steps in. 3: Fights should be judged individually and not compared to other similar situations. Unless it's blatant rule violations obviously.

That's pretty much all I've got man. I've even tried watching it a couple of times now and as far as i can he starts moving before herb touches him. That's what it boils down to for me. Maybe if I had the fight on betterr resolution and did some freeframe sorcery I'd see it another way. I'm going now. Thanks for playing I did enjoy looking at this again, been a couple years since the last time.

He was 33. Had he trained better and not become a head hunter he'd have been fine. No one expected him to remain unbeaten forever, but losing to Hendo was an embarrassment.
No way
Hendo one of most accomplished fighters ever and has beaten nog before losing to him is an embarrassment

What bullshit? Conor clearly would ko Jon Jones in seconds, just like boxingislife skillspaythebills TimingBeatsSpeed PROlogic says.

Well I just had a convo with one that said Conor would own anybody in the UFC when I replied I would take Stipe in a fight vs Conor he responded with "based on Stipes performance vs DC he would take Conor.

You sure about that?

according to Volk Han, the judges were going to give Arona the dec, until he persuaded Maeda to change their minds.

I lol'd so much when I read that, after reading years of hipsters trying to claim 'but RINGS rules mean Fedor clearly won!'

Uh no, RINGS rules never made that clear, and now we even have it from the horses (or rather, the wolf's) mouth...

source (in Russian):
https://matchtv.ru/boxing/fedor/mat...-v-fedore-chempiona-volk-khan-interview-fedor
Never read that interview, thank you.
It makes a lot of sense, Arona should have won that fight under every ruleset possible.

I always thought that at the time the judges/referees had no real understanding of what was going on and they thought that the guillotines and leglocks attempt were legit.

Well I just had a convo with one that said Conor would own anybody in the UFC when I replied I would take Stipe in a fight vs Conor he responded with "based on Stipes performance vs DC he would take Conor.

Unbelievable. Fucking neophytes.

Arona Vs Fedor was a pretty even contest. I thought Fedor looked a bit listless compared to his usual self. Maybe he had a bad journey to Japan, and had an off-night, who knows. The fighters aren't machines, they won't always perform to their best. But Arona was an absolute specimen, and dynamic grappler at that time (he went undefeated in ADCC). So I can't discount he was superior at that time. But, a few years later during their pride careers, I'd have been confident that Fedor would have beaten Arona, probably in brutal fashion.

The Hendo Fedor fight was great, and many on sherdog were upset at the time with the stoppage because it was so exciting and wanted it to continue.
I believe when Fedor came out swinging, but took an H-bomb. It took a few minutes to clear his head, then he went in for the kill and downed Hendo! He was careless and Hendo reacted brilliantly, catching Fedor flush on the chin totally by surprise.
Fantastic fight.

Never read that interview, thank you.
It makes a lot of sense, Arona should have won that fight under every ruleset possible.

I always thought that at the time the judges/referees had no real understanding of what was going on and they thought that the guillotines and leglocks attempt were legit.
"Arona should have won that fight under every ruleset possible."

In Pride where Ground Control had lil reward, no chance. [see Takada vs Hoyce]

Arona ducked him for a reason.
giphy.gif

Its hard to take Hendo and Aronas wins over Fedor seriously...

In Pride, both those dudes would've been beaten bloody and unconscious by Fedor before the 10 min first round was over.

Sure.

Hendo flatlined him. Get over it.

Back