Television Justified (new season trailer)

Great trailer. But I require at least one reference to “digging coal”.

Eh, I'm sceptical. I loved the original, but it wrapped up everything so well that I feel like a sequel isn't likely to add anything. I'll wait until I see whether it gets decent reviews and/or I hear some good word of mouth buzz about it.
They wrapped up Harlan County and all it's bullshit very well. Raylan was still a gun hand at the end of it. I wonder if they will show him as having mellowed out with age and having to come back to old ways.

Just finished the first episode, didn’t know the second one dropped the same night so I haven’t watched that one yet. Overall I liked it. I’ve never been impressed with Boyd Holbrook as an actor but I think he did a great job. My only complaint was the car explosion at the beginning; just terribly obvious CGI.

Just caught an interview with Olyphant on fresh air. He talked a bunch about Deadwood. I’ve never watched Justified but may have to check it out.

Hope the writing is as crisp as the original, the show will be lacking without Boyd but I understand.
I doubt that. Most of the good dialog was the teasing with his family, Art, the Boyder crowd, his colleagues. Without them imo the heart of the show is missing. They balanced out his narcistic kinda one dimensional personality. That his real daughter plays his daughter is also quite the downer.

I expect a more cheesy and also more violent approach without the laid back intelligent Leonard appeal.

Hope I am wrong and will definitely look into it when it's available here. Justified was sooo good.

Just finished the 1st two episodes last night.. 1st episode was borderline bad but the 2nd episode pulled it together and was much more solid. So far Olyphant is the only good thing about the show with the other characters being pretty flat. Also not buying Raylan having interest in the fat black attorney, seems forced and dumb given what we know about the character.

The daughter is an annoying addition that needs to get shipped off back to her mother tho I suspect they’re going to use her as some sort of leverage over Raylan when it comes to the bad guy because on his own he lacks the calculation and menace of a Boyd Crowder who can stand toe to toe with Givens.

The other cops in the show are forgettable cardboard cutouts compared to Raylans previous cohorts who all had their charms.

The plot seems pretty random tho I’m not going to get too ahead of myself here because Justifieds plots were never tutorials on rocket science previously either so I can live with a basic plot here.

One of the fun things about the previous installment was the performances of all the side characters.. I’m hoping we at least get some of that here going forward. Stuff like that helped fill out any empty ness the show would have otherwise had.

In short, early in the show isn’t looking like it’s going to live up to the memorable performances and overall quality from its predecessor.. but I’ll stick around to watch Timmeh do his thing because he’s awesome in these types of roles, but I’m not going to expect a whole lot other than that.

It was alrite, but nowhere near the "OG" Justified.
Also his daughter looks a lot like him, you can tell its his daughter.
I guess thats how she got the role.

I never really liked Justified. I just cant stand the main actor.

So far Olyphant is the only good thing about the show with the other characters being pretty flat. Also not buying Raylan having interest in the fat black attorney, seems forced and dumb given what we know about the character.
The daughter is an annoying addition that needs to get shipped off back to her mother tho I suspect they’re going to use her as some sort of leverage over Raylan when it comes to the bad guy because on his own he lacks the calculation and menace of a Boyd Crowder who can stand toe to toe with Givens.
The other cops in the show are forgettable cardboard cutouts compared to Raylans previous cohorts who all had their charms.

Sadly thats exactly what I expected reading about the cast. Only watched the first episode. Its a one man star power show , with the daughter for cheap emotional marketing as a dumb bratty sidekick functioning as a plot device. The thing is that the side characters of Justified never were just side characters. Depending on the season different ones provided the majority of interesting viewpoints and narrative and emotional connection with the viewer. Raylan on his own is more like a one dimensional Rambo wrecking ball. Too superhero like to be a
captivating character on his own.

Dewie, Boyd, Ava, Art, Arlo and so on... They were the heart of the show. In a way Boyd was more instrumental than Raylan. The episodes with mostly Raylan had, besides his banter with his dad, mostly the content of how great he is and running through criminals like Superman. On its own boring. Thats also Olyphant. He loves these clean cut hero figures but they only work contrasted by complex characters . Deadwood is a perfect example. Deadwood was so exceptional despite Olyphant playing of him, not because of him.

I would say Boyd was a more instrumental part of Justified and a show centered around Boyd would be of higher quality if it would reflect Boyds character truethfully .

The saddest I can say about this show is that its mediocre in every aspect. Just cliched characters , standard Hollywood trash you could also generate with chatgpt enriched with an extra funk of nepotism regarding Olyphants talentfree daughter.

E1 was a 3/10

Last edited:
Sadly thats exactly what I expected reading about the cast. Only watched the first episode. Its a one man star power show , with the daughter for cheap emotional marketing as a dumb bratty sidekick functioning as a plot device. The thing is that the side characters of Justified never were just side characters. Depending on the season different ones provided the majority of interesting viewpoints and narrative and emotional connection with the viewer. Raylan on his own is more like a one dimensional Rambo wrecking ball. Too superhero like to be a
captivating character on his own.

Dewie, Boyd, Ava, Art, Arlo and so on... They were the heart of the show. In a way Boyd was more instrumental than Raylan. The episodes with mostly Raylan had, besides his banter with his dad, mostly the content of how great he is and running through criminals like Superman. On its own boring. Thats also Olyphant. He loves these clean cut hero figures but they only work contrasted by complex characters . Deadwood is a perfect example. Deadwood was so exceptional despite Olyphant playing of him, not because of him.

I would say Boyd was a more instrumental part of Justified and a show centered around Boyd would be of higher quality if it would reflect Boyds character truethfully .

The saddest I can say about this show is that its mediocre in every aspect. Just cliched characters , standard Hollywood trash you could also generate with chatgpt enriched with an extra funk of nepotism regarding Olyphants talentfree daughter.

E1 was a 3/10

I don’t agree that Boyd made the original, I think the coming together of all the characters made the original great. Boyd was barley in the 1st season or so due to almost getting killed by Raylan out of the gate in their 1st standoff, and he wasn’t the main antagonist until the Bennet family (who were fantastic) was dealt with in season 2.

Most of my favorite scenes in the original feature Raylan and his smart ass remarks to the villains he’s dealing with, so for me Tim did a lot of the heavy lifting in the original. He’s great in these types of modern Clint Eastwood roles, and it’s believable with him. He’s got the chops and nuance to pull it off convincingly -and I think most people who enjoyed the original would agree with that.

I do agree that the show wouldn’t have worked without all the other great characters tho.. but thats any show that’s highly regarded. The Wire, Sopranos and so on.

Bottom line is -there were a lot of things that came together just right to make the original a great ‘cop show’ rolled up into a modern western -and nailing the Raylan role is as central to it working as much as any other character.

I don’t agree that Boyd made the original, I think the coming together of all the characters made the original great. Boyd was barley in the 1st season or so due to almost getting killed by Raylan out of the gate in their 1st standoff, and he wasn’t the main antagonist until the Bennet family (who were fantastic) was dealt with in season 2.

Most of my favorite scenes in the original feature Raylan and his smart ass remarks to the villains he’s dealing with, so for me Tim did a lot of the heavy lifting in the original. He’s great in these types of modern Clint Eastwood roles, and it’s believable with him. He’s got the chops and nuance to pull it off convincingly -and I think most people who enjoyed the original would agree with that.

I do agree that the show wouldn’t have worked without all the other great characters tho.. but thats any show that’s highly regarded. The Wire, Sopranos and so on.

Bottom line is -there were a lot of things that came together just right to make the original a great ‘cop show’ rolled up into a modern western -and nailing the Raylan role is as central to it working as much as any other character.
Bottom line is they dug coal together

Just finished the 1st two episodes last night.. 1st episode was borderline bad but the 2nd episode pulled it together and was much more solid. So far Olyphant is the only good thing about the show with the other characters being pretty flat. Also not buying Raylan having interest in the fat black attorney, seems forced and dumb given what we know about the character.

The plot seems pretty random tho I’m not going to get too ahead of myself here because Justifieds plots were never tutorials on rocket science previously either so I can live with a basic plot here.

One of the fun things about the previous installment was the performances of all the side characters.. I’m hoping we at least get some of that here going forward. Stuff like that helped fill out any empty ness the show would have otherwise had.

In short, early in the show isn’t looking like it’s going to live up to the memorable performances and overall quality from its predecessor.. but I’ll stick around to watch Timmeh do his thing because he’s awesome in these types of roles, but I’m not going to expect a whole lot other than that.
The show is basically just a showcase for Timothy Olyphant
I recently rewatched the entire show with my wife because she’s never seen it, and the dialogue is what makes the show. Nearly every character is hilarious and witty in their own way, and even though the show revolves around Raylan even people he only interacts with for a scene have the charisma and dialogue to banter with him. The Bennetts and the Boyd centric seasons had great plots, but the rest of the show the plots are kind of secondary to the banter and Raylan being Raylan.

that’s sorely missing in this remake but I still liked it. Just feels incomplete without someone to match wits with him. The villain doesn’t seem particularly clever at all and all of the other cops only have “cop” as their personality.

the judge would have been a good character though

Agree and also that all the characters made the show but a difference to other masterpieces is that the main character Raylan is also the most one dimensional one. No comparison to Tony , McNulty, ..etc or in the show Boyd, Wynn Duffy, Arlo . They also had a more complex development. Thats not important for Justified as the formula worked to perfection but it shows bigtime that making a show just about Raylan is difficult.

Thats why imo Boyd would be more interesting. He just has more aspects to his character a show could work around. Also the whiter teeth :D

Think I will pass on the rest of the new show to not fall into a games of thrones depression regarding the original. Will wait what you guys write about how it develops.

I'm liking it. Missing all the Harlan County characters but still very enjoyable. The villain is great. My main gripe is that Timothy Olyphant's daughter just isn't that good of an actress, at least not in this role. Could have cast a better actress without nepotism.

Last edited:
The daughter seems to be putting on this little girl voice, probably because her character is supposed to be younger. It just isn't working for me. Would prefer her real voice.

Im not sure who’s still watching this but the character Raymond Cruz who popped up in tonight’s episode was the main character in Elmore Leonard’s “City Primeval: High Noon in Detroit” which this is obviously based on. They just swapped out Raymond for Raylan as the main character.

We also got a David Cross sighting.

Yeah, I started watching it... but I gave up after 2 episodes.
I plan to watch it... but at the time I could not get into it.

Also the whole love interest with a uhm less slim black chick is just weird since you know.... on Justified he was married to Natalie Zea, banged Eva and several other slim pretty hot blond girls.
Dude has a type. Suddenly its some fattie.
Is he getting THAT old that he has to settle?

I agree about the daughters voice.

I hope the show picks up, as I said 2 episodes was not enough to drag me in, and I loved the original show.

Back