Ken Shamrock was very unlucky throughout his career.

Kentakedownfranklin.gif

Nothing really weird here, he sloppily dived for the legs and got caught on the way down. He wasn't rocked and still got the takedown he was looking for. I don't really understand why people think a prime Franklin would need a fix to win against a shot Shamrock whose last true win streak (more than two wins) was nine years before that bout.

So you don't see anything strange with the way Ken curls his toes under his feet, starts to fall straight down all before Rich hits him with the straight right? If this looks legit to you, well, then I don't know what the f%ck to tell you.

So you don't see anything strange with the way Ken curls his toes under his feet, starts to fall straight down all before Rich hits him with the straight right? If this looks legit to you, well, then I don't know what the f%ck to tell you.

And what would be the point exactly? Shamrock wasn't laying on the ground, pretending to be KTFO : he kept fighting, escaped a submission attempt, went for a leglock, stood-up, slipped while throwing a kick and ate a bunch of G'n'P to the head. He had opportunities to throw the fight earlier if it was the plan.

His domination of Bas (twice) in Pancrase showed he was the real deal. He had the right look and attitude for MMA, but like OP says, just never really made the most of it. Going to WWE no doubt got him off-track, and he was eclipsed by Frank in the UFC. His late career losses to Tito really nailed the coffin shut. Nonetheless, a true pioneer along with Royce, Severn, Oleg, Ruas, and the other old school generation.

I love Ken but let's not be stupid. Maybe he wouldn't have had heart problems in the fujita fight if he wasn't abusing steroids. And there was nothing BS about his loss to Frye
Should've been a draw or a Ken victory the Achilles lock fucked Frye up but since Frye never taps to anyone he survived

I can't believe some people still think Rich Franklin vs Ken was a work.

And what would be the point exactly? Shamrock wasn't laying on the ground, pretending to be KTFO : he kept fighting, escaped a submission attempt, went for a leglock, stood-up, slipped while throwing a kick and ate a bunch of G'n'P to the head. He had opportunities to throw the fight earlier if it was the plan.

Who the hell knows what the point is, this is Ken Shamrock we are talking about, your guess is as good as mine but answer me this question. Do you find it at all strange on how he feel to the ground, how he feel to the ground, and how he started falling to the ground prior to being touched by the jab?

Ken got tko'd by Royce Gracie. Royce. Whatever legacy he had, however good, was tarnished by that debacle (among others like his fights with Franklin, that fat guy who shoulder rolled, his Tito fights...etc.).

Call him unlucky all you want but he was juiced as hell.
The first Gracie fight he was a MW, in rematch he was a HW.
Of course roids cause heart problems.

LOVE your avatar.

Who the hell knows what the point is, this is Ken Shamrock we are talking about, your guess is as good as mine but answer me this question. Do you find it at all strange on how he feel to the ground, how he feel to the ground, and how he started falling to the ground prior to being touched by the jab?

I really think he was awkwardly trying to dive for the legs and got punched right away. Once again, it accomplishes nothing in terms of fixing the fight since that's not how it ended.

I can't believe some people still think Rich Franklin vs Ken was a work.

I wouldn't say work. It was fishy and Rich didn't have to be in on it. Ken definitely throws fights. Kimbo

It looks like Ken went to sell a KO, realised the punch missed and had to improvise by grabbing the ankle. He is a seasoned jobber who talks about putting guys over. He knew he couldn't sell that. The fact he turns it into an ankle grab doesn't destroy the work theory.

Shamrock was neither quite as good as people thought at the time nor quite as good as we sometimes nostalgically remember. He wasn't bad though, and there were some comically bad fighters in early MMA.

I do think Ken around 00-02 was a lot better than his rep makes him now though, during that comeback he did actually look pretty dangerous standing and showed good takedown defence as well.

The idea that he is merely a relic of the early 90's ala Royce is I think very questionable, that version of Ken would still IMHO be a credible if perhaps not elite MW or LHW.

The Frye fight took a very heavy toll on both men IMHO, neither were close to their previous form after that with messed up knees.

I believe they were both jacked up on steroids & painkillers for that fight...

Well, he didn't try to "take it back," I suppose, but he certainly didn't concede. It was like Chael/Silva, Chael/Filho, or CB/Amir 2.

<40>
It was an awkward moment.

Ken tapped 4 times, nodded, admitted it, but I guess he didnt "understand" that meant the end of the fight... kindah weird situation.

I agree. Not to mention the 2nd Royce and Taktarov fights going down as draws when they clearly would have been wins had there been judges.

And Randleman would have easily beat Rutten, if there were judges....oh wait.

Randleman actually pounded Bas into a bloody mess.
Ken got outstruck from his top position, and just landed one punch in OT.

It was an awkward moment.

Ken tapped 4 times, nodded, admitted it, but I guess he didnt "understand" that meant the end of the fight... kindah weird situation.
It does seem more weird in retrospect, but I guess he deserves slack for that one because it was like the 5th UFC fight.

• In the first Gracie fight Ken wasn't allowed to wear his wrestling boots so his feet started slipping.
  • In the 3rd fight he got hit with a nut shot that went unnoticed. As a result, he was robbed of his chance at redemption.
  • BS decision losses to Severn and Frye.
  • Lost to Fujita due to heart problems after beating the absolute crap out of him.
  • Was way past his prime in his most high-profile rivalry against Tito. As a result, he lost 3 times.
Indeed, I would say Ken is one the unluckiest fighters.

So, talking yourself into getting big fights that you physically can't handle is bad luck?

Back