Ken Shamrock was very unlucky throughout his career.

His wins over Bas and Severn show how great he was for the time.

His fights in Pride against Fujita and Otsuka showed he could've prospered in the modern era if he hadn't went to WWF.

There is nothing in all of the history of mankind that shows Ken Shamrock could have competed today.

Well, he didn't try to "take it back," I suppose, but he certainly didn't concede. It was like Chael/Silva, Chael/Filho, or CB/Amir 2.

Not how it happened at all. Ken taps, Royce lets go. The ref doesn't understand and orders the fight to continue, Royce immediately jumps back into action, Ken says "No, I tapped. Fight is over".

Immediately after exiting the octagon Ken does an interview explaining exactly what happens. Says that Royce got him so he tapped and then explains what a tap is, saying it means Royce beat him and that the fight is over.

Not a Ken nuthugger by any stretch but this is an extremely common MMA myth that does annoy me somewhat. I recently watched the full UFC 1 broadcast and its all there, clear as day and completely different to what everyone seems to claim and assume.

Not how it happened at all. Ken taps, Royce lets go. The ref doesn't understand and orders the fight to continue, Royce immediately jumps back into action, Ken says "No, I tapped. Fight is over".

Immediately after exiting the octagon Ken does an interview explaining exactly what happens. Says that Royce got him so he tapped and then explains what a tap is, saying it means Royce beat him and that the fight is over.

Not a Ken nuthugger by any stretch but this is an extremely common MMA myth that does annoy me somewhat. I recently watched the full UFC 1 broadcast and its all there, clear as day and completely different to what everyone seems to claim and assume.
Good post. When you take the time to explain yourself, your post will be met with more respect.

It's tough to be respectful of this

<TrumpWrong1>

Him not being allow his wrestling shoes is the lamest excuse of all, no one was allow to wear wrestling shoes and Royce didn't pack some natural born antislippery feet either.. He went for a lama ankle lock and got choked out that's what happened....

• In the first Gracie fight Ken wasn't allowed to wear his wrestling boots so his feet started slipping.
  • In the 3rd fight he got hit with a nut shot that went unnoticed. As a result, he was robbed of his chance at redemption.
  • BS decision losses to Severn and Frye.
  • Lost to Fujita due to heart problems after beating the absolute crap out of him.
  • Was way past his prime in his most high-profile rivalry against Tito. As a result, he lost 3 times.
Indeed, I would say Ken is one the unluckiest fighters.

The reason
His Brain
20090302-walnut-thumb-625xauto-39028.jpg

One of The biggest mistakes that I think he ever made was insisting on fighting Tito so many times. The beating that he got at UFC 40 should have been enough for him but instead he came back two more times. A lot of fans remembered him for that. The newer fans I mean.

I'm a shameless Shamrock fan.

He did have spots of bad luck for sure and always struggled with injuries. He was kind of a glass cannon even early on. He was an offensive monster but his body just couldn't hold up. Never finished a UFC tourney.

He then destroyed his body with WWF and was even worse when he came back. His skills were sharper but he was slower and couldn't take a punch anymore.

Plus he has to stand in the shadow of Frank Shamrock, the real fighter in the family.
Pardon me? Frank shamrock goes 1/3 against rutten with his one win being a hard fought bout against rutten, but ken beats him twice and locks up rutten in like a minute and Fank's the "real fighter"? Sure

Ken's got that thing about him.... he's like a magnet for controversy. He doesn't accept defeat well.

-He tried to take back his tap against Royce at UFC 1.
<{danayeah}>

-He didn't do anything- regardless of the rules- at UFC 9 and complained about the decision. (Severn)

<mma2>
-He quit against Fujita after dominating him. He claims to have had heart issues, but I think he had cardio issues and was maybe a little discouraged when he couldn't finish him because he'd seen Fujita/Kerr.

{<hhh]

-He was smashed by Tito Ortiz but furiously protested the stoppage, only to suffer an identical result 3 months later.

<{Heymansnicker}>
-He turned his back and fell into the ropes, as Sakuraba pounced on him. He proceeded to walk in the back and go on a tirade about PRIDE protecting their guy. He was furious.

<Deported1>

Even I thought Royce's nut shot hurt him, but- just like with the boy who cried "Wolf"- I already quit listening to him at that point.

<{hughesimpress}>

Tito is the only one I have no problem with even 2nd fight herb did ken a favour
Saku royce he was robbed.
Ken Severn 2 was a joke ken was only fighter on card to play by rules every fighter even Severn broke them
Punches

Back