News Kevin Lee says he's coming out of retirement.

FKL vs Ragin Al is the UFC 300 main event we didn’t know we needed

Rightfully so. We don’t call him fighter Kevin Lee for no reason.

History? Who cares? UFC never had a female division. All those sub 155 division didn’t exist.

UFC follows unified MMA rules and the ABC changes them all the time. For example we didn’t get 5 minutes rest for an eye poke until recently. The ABC already adopted a 165 weight class. It’s not something far from left field.

I don't think we're going to get on the same track here, still love you though sir.

I don't know if this is about money, the itch to compete, or both...but I can't say I'm optimistic for Kevin Lee's prospects, despite not being that old.

It's weird how so many fans think the mythical 165 will save guys who get beat up at 170 like 90% of the 170ers don't also cut more and still beat up the FKLs of the world.

Exactly, That thought process escapes me tbh sir.

I agree that is shortsighted to think that introducing 165 alone would fix anything...but IMHO it would make sense to replace 170 with 165 and 175, while simultaneously taking steps to curb more extreme weight cutting (e.g., building from what the CSAC does with supplemental same-day weigh-ins).

If the goal is to have people compete at a more natural weight and to do away with massive weight cutting, then I don't see a compelling argument against this idea.

(The whole 'legacy of WW division' argument rings a bit hollow to me, and we could get into that...)

I don't know if this is about money, the itch to compete, or both...but I can't say I'm optimistic for Kevin Lee's prospects, despite not being that old.

I agree that is shortsighted to think that introducing 165 alone would fix anything...but IMHO it would make sense to replace 170 with 165 and 175, while simultaneously taking steps to curb more extreme weight cutting (e.g., building from what the CSAC does with supplemental same-day weigh-ins).

If the goal is to have people compete at a more natural weight and to do away with massive weight cutting, then I don't see a compelling argument against this idea.

(The whole 'legacy of WW division' argument rings a bit hollow to me, and we could get into that...)

The legacy thing is the UFC's decision not mine sir.
I also know that fighters will cut another 5lbs just to fight @165 so it really doesn't fix anything.

I have my own ideas how to fix some of this stuff but it is what it is at this point.

Will Michael Cheisa's mom be at his next fight?

I love a good stanky leg
but I don’t want to see bro get CTE

I am not even a Kevin Lee fan. He torn his ACL in his fight against Diego. The 165 division not only benefits him but many other fighters.

He is obviously too big for 155. He missed weight a few times in his career. Where do you think the cardio issue comes from? You don’t think a person isn’t going to perform better without a bad cut?

He's gassed regardless of what weight class he's in. It's obviously not a weight cutting issue. It's a Kevin Lee issue. He's just not good. Just like every other prospect that has flamed out.

Fuck "legacy", it's a terrible idea to replace one good division with two crappy ones. You are halving the talent pool.

Adding the lighter weight classes always made sense because the talent was always there, in other promotions. It didn't affect other divisions. This does. 5 lbs isn't going to make Kevin Lee an elite fighter or make Conor worthy of a title shot. This 165 nonsense is only brought up in the context of trying to give fighters who aren't elite another option.

And the crowd goes mild.

They were both on a lot better trajectories by age 31 than Lee is. I'm telling you, he's been the second coming of Erick Silva.

Yeah I guess comparing his career to Erick Silva's up to age 31 is a fair comparison. Still the man is a veteran with 27 pro MMA fights and is young enough to turn it around, although like I said, I'm not betting on it. But someone like Lawler (who I had also written off as ever being elite) went on a tear at 31 and won the belt.

I guess I wanted to root for Fighter Kevin Lee on account of his hilariously terrible trashtalk, talking about Chiesa's "fucking" mom and his ridiculous outfits, kind of like rooting for a heel in pro wrestling. Same reason I rooted for Koscheck. Dude is like Stifler from American Pie.

Reactions: mkt

This is the worst idea he's had since he got that tattoo on the back of his head.

He should put a call in to Bigfoot Silva and they can pool their resources and make a resuscitation league - Resuscitation Fighting Championships.

"Unlike other MMA organizations, RsFL guarantees a KO in every fight" - they fight till someone's unconscious. No judges. Medical staff on hand to perform brain scans and tally remaining brain cells. Fans bet on brain cell counts. Vegas goes wild.

It's money in the bank!

Always liked FKL - very talented but a nonexistent gas tank. Was kind of weird how he came back to the UFC and retired after losing. Then again, losing to an unknown guy usually indicates you should hang up the gloves. Hopefully he will find his mojo again.

The legacy thing is the UFC's decision not mine sir.
I also know that fighters will cut another 5lbs just to fight @165 so it really doesn't fix anything.

I have my own ideas how to fix some of this stuff but it is what it is at this point.

I didn't say the legacy thing was anyone's opinion here...it is just something that comes up whenever there is talk of getting rid of 170, rather than only adding 165.

Fighters will not be able to just cut another 5lbs...that is the entire motivation behind my second point.

If he's been sharpening his iron teh whole time, it would be great to see how he's improved.

If not, then it looks more like a money grab than anything else.

I didn't say the legacy thing was anyone's opinion here...it is just something that comes up whenever there is talk of getting rid of 170, rather than only adding 165.

Fighters will not be able to just cut another 5lbs...that is the entire motivation behind my second point.

Dana has said it was an historic weight class, so I imagine he's the one that has the opinion is all I'm saying sir.

Back