Kevin Spacey is... kinda winning again?

That was what i was getting at too, it sucks that we live in a world that is ever so happy to ruin a man's entire life over something he maybe didn't even do.
Thats true but with Spacey I think he is the wrong person to attach this defense position. He was very well known in movie business to abuse younger men for many years.
In general I absolutely agree. Its way too easy to destroy someone just without any proof and allegations. Solution to that imo would be that proven false allegations should have the same prison sentence and social outcasting as someone who did it.

Reality is that you just dont get 99% of sexual predators if they are in a position of power. Everyone will look away as long as possible. Look up Russel Brand and how the BBC worked around him sexual harassing every skirt at the set. Instead of firing him they protected him at all cost.

Or look at Bill Clinton. There are pictures with minor sex traffic women and him and Epstein and it is WELL known what a creep he is (flight logs on the lolita express) and the democrats and most people still applaud him as a great leader.
In Europe despite the horrible stuff Polanski has done to minors he is still lauded at film festivals and the public applauds him. People just dont want to see if someone is famous and they like him. It is then branded as conspiracy.

While i do think Spacey is a sleezeball who likely did most, if not all, of the things he's accused of, I also believe in due process. He's been to court several times now and no one has been able to pin him down. Under those circumstances the man should be allowed to get back to work. If you still have a problem with Spacey then make it known with your wallet; don't spend a dime on anything he's in or associated with. But as a country we have to move beyond destroying people's careers and keeping them.out of work forever based on accusations alone.

Thats true but with Spacey I think he is the wrong person to attach this defense position. He was very well known in movie business to abuse younger men for many years.
In general I absolutely agree. Its way too easy to destroy someone just without any proof and allegations. Solution to that imo would be that proven false allegations should have the same prison sentence and social outcasting as someone who did it.

Reality is that you just dont get 99% of sexual predators if they are in a position of power. Everyone will look away as long as possible. Look up Russel Brand and how the BBC worked around him sexual harassing every skirt at the set. Instead of firing him they protected him at all cost.

Or look at Bill Clinton. There are pictures with minor sex traffic women and him and Epstein and it is WELL known what a creep he is (flight logs on the lolita express) and the democrats and most people still applaud him as a great leader.
In Europe despite the horrible stuff Polanski has done to minors he is still lauded at film festivals and the public applauds him. People just dont want to see if someone is famous and they like him. It is then branded as conspiracy.

From the start in this thread I stated I don't know anything about the Spacey case, so my sentiments are more in general.

It does seem that things are changing in society regarding "looking the other way"

Meh. I don't feel bad for him. Spacey and his buddy Bryan Singer have been known creeps for years.

Accusations can ruin lives, independent of whether or not the accused is guilty. In a fair system, proven false accusations should receive the same punishment the accused would've retrieved with a guilty verdict.

Having said, the counter argument to that woukd be that it make victims less likely to come forward, for fear of being accused themselves of false accusations.

Not sure what a reasonable solution would be, or if there is a way to ensure that some people aren't getting thrown under the bus.

Just saying but he is a GREAT actor. Total weirdo piece of shit granted but one of may favorite actors from 95 thru 2015.

We are talking about Keyser Soze here. Are you surprised?

keyser-s%C3%B6ze-the-usual-suspects.gif

Accusations can ruin lives, independent of whether or not the accused is guilty. In a fair system, proven false accusations should receive the same punishment the accused would've retrieved with a guilty verdict.

Having said, the counter argument to that woukd be that it make victims less likely to come forward, for fear of being accused themselves of false accusations.

Not sure what a reasonable solution would be, or if there is a way to ensure that some people aren't getting thrown under the bus.
To be fair its not like this doesnt happen already, perhaps not quite the same degree of sentencing but Eleanor Williams in the UK recently got over 8 years for false allegations.

The problem is I think Sherdog tends to take "allegations didn't result in a conviction" to mean "allegations were proven false" when those are obviously not the same thing.

To be fair its not like this doesnt happen already, perhaps not quite the same degree of sentencing but Eleanor Williams in the UK recently got over 8 years for false allegations.

The problem is I think Sherdog tends to take "allegations didn't result in a conviction" to mean "allegations were proven false" when those are obviously not the same thing.

Sherdog posters also tend to have a very narrow scope for the sorts of cases that they think that the "same sentence" philosophy should apply to -- sex related cases.

I doubt many posters would extend their philosophy to, say, a key witness in a murder case. The accused is found not guilty and the witness has to go to jail instead? After all, playing a key role in accusing somebody of murder is pretty bad, right?

Perjury and defamation laws already cover most "false accusations". The challenge is that they are very hard to prove... much like many sexual harassment and sexual assault cases.

Bad faith accusations surely happen. Promising retribution against claimants who do not win their cases seems like a truly terrible solution.

Sherdog posters also tend to have a very narrow scope for the sorts of cases that they think that the "same sentence" philosophy should apply to -- sex related cases.

I doubt many posters would extend their philosophy to, say, a key witness in a murder case. The accused is found not guilty and the witness has to go to jail instead? After all, playing a key role in accusing somebody of murder is pretty bad, right?

Perjury and defamation laws already cover most "false accusations". The challenge is that they are very hard to prove... much like many sexual harassment and sexual assault cases.

Bad faith accusations surely happen. Promising retribution against claimants who do not win their cases seems like a truly terrible solution.
Nobody is found "innocent" in court there found "not guilty", the courts job is to establish whether an alleged crime is proven to the degree needed not whether its "false".

Prooving an allegation is false is an entirely different case with its own burden of proof.

The bar for "winning" is quite low. Better thread title imho:

Kevin Spacey is... kinda not losing as terribly as we may have thought?​

The bar for "winning" is quite low. Better thread title imho:

Kevin Spacey is... kinda not losing as terribly as we may have thought?​

Beating three sexual harassment/assault cases and getting a 31 million dollar judgment knocked down to 1 million that you can pay over several years are major wins.

Well, victims are often afraid to come forward already, so there's that.

Beating three sexual harassment/assault cases and getting a 31 million dollar judgment knocked down to 1 million that you can pay over several years are major wins.
Yeah, paying out 1 million dollars because of your behavior is totally a win. Edit: and let me be clear I give zero fucks about Kevin Spacey. He's whatever. But that reasoning is specious.

Back