Keyboard Jockey Attempts Two AR-15 Builds

Triggers have arrived.

These are excellent triggers, I'm running them in 3 of my AR's. If you're looking for the toughest and most well-made upper\lower receivers, you can't go wrong with the Noveske Gen 2. The vltor upper is forged and probably the strongest available, at least until Amalgamated Titanium gets their ass in gear (they've sent the receivers, but I'm primarily after the BCG.) Ditto for the lower, and it has the flared magwell that really does ease rapid mag changes. For barrels, I'd say Mick Rock is the current king of the hill in that regard, with a wait list to match. JP makes great barrels, but I have to give Noveske stainless barrels the edge in the off-the-rack category. If i could get a Noveske chamber reamer to Mike Rock, there would be some kind of singularity....

Noveske has their gen 3 out, it's basically a gen 2 with very little changes, accepts surefire high capacity mags and drums now. I forgot what else.

JP barrels on average are probably more accurate but when you are talking a difference in .1-.2 moa on barrels that are already right around 1/2-3/4 moa it really doesn't matter for idk high 90's % of shooters. At that point you look at other things like the longevity which Noveske's barrels prove to have and an extremely reliable chamber.

Vltor just released their keymod version of the VIS. VIS-KM
pertorian.jpg

16_warror_copy__91541.1405457372.1280.1280.png

As far as custom goes... Kreiger, Bartlein, Hart, Rock, Lilja, etc. All of those are extremely accurate and it just comes down to preference at that point. Unless you are one of the best shooters in the world you wouldn't likely a difference and probably couldn't shoot to the barrels potential. Those guys getting the Noveske chamber probably wouldn't shave many .1 moa's off what they they currently shoot. Pac-nor/Noveske makes good barrels. The noveske chamber isn't as accurate as the wylde but it is still very accurate and has awesome reliability. Really impressive accuracy from Noveske that they are right there with wylde and other true match chambers when the chamber was designed to retain as much accuracy as possible while not sacrificing any reliability.

These are excellent triggers, I'm running them in 3 of my AR's. If you're looking for the toughest and most well-made upper\lower receivers, you can't go wrong with the Noveske Gen 2. The vltor upper is forged and probably the strongest available, at least until Amalgamated Titanium gets their ass in gear (they've sent the receivers, but I'm primarily after the BCG.) Ditto for the lower, and it has the flared magwell that really does ease rapid mag changes. For barrels, I'd say Mick Rock is the current king of the hill in that regard, with a wait list to match. JP makes great barrels, but I have to give Noveske stainless barrels the edge in the off-the-rack category. If i could get a Noveske chamber reamer to Mike Rock, there would be some kind of singularity....

Thanks. I believe it was you (in a previous thread) that ultimately convinced me to go with these, and in both guns rather than trying a different trigger in each.

I probably wouldn't have selected that barrel but it was a gift based on my friend's recommendation (he's no expert but he tends to know quality). The giver said I could return it but that didn't seem right. So I could nit-pick stuff or be happy that I got a high quality part for "free". I'm sure for the other build it'll end up with a Noveske barrel, if not an entire upper.

I'm not too worried about the strength of the receivers. I'm guessing I'd need to buy something really cheap for it to be a problem. That's why I focused mainly on the aesthetics of the name & logo. If I get another it'd probably be that curvy Seekins model.

You and RtR sharing your extensive knowledge is highly appreciated. Any suggestions on BCG? The JP barrel came with a bolt. I suspect it's the right way to go to use it. So I'm guessing the best idea is buy an entire BCG and switch out the bolt.

My head hurts. So 14.5" afghan barrel is what I need to know? :icon_lol:

Imo yes. Unless you don't want to deal with pin and weld aspect. There are downsides to it which you can read about online. If not the 14.5 afgan go with the Noveske 16" SS Recon.

ALSO DO NOT clean or oil your barrel with anything that has teflon in it. A few oils and cleaners have Teflon in them. Don't do it.

Imo yes. Unless you don't want to deal with pin and weld aspect. There are downsides to it which you can read about online. If not the 14.5 afgan go with the Noveske 16" SS Recon.

I like the idea of (someone else) welding something sweet onto the end of the barrel and keeping it at the legal minimum. Unless someone more convincing than you comes along I'll surely be going one of these routes.

ALSO DO NOT clean or oil your barrel with anything that has teflon in it. A few oils and cleaners have Teflon in them. Don't do it.

Break-free and a boresnake is my usual m.o. Uh-oh, I hadn't considered some extended break-in routine. :icon_neut

Any thoughts on my BCG situation?

I like the idea of (someone else) welding something sweet onto the end of the barrel and keeping it at the legal minimum. Unless someone more convincing than you comes along I'll surely be going one of these routes.

Break-free and a boresnake is my usual m.o. Uh-oh, I hadn't considered some extended break-in routine. :icon_neut

Any thoughts on my BCG situation?
Yeah you already have +2 for Noveske.

Yeah don't use that for your barrel. Also don't leave a bunch of oil in the bore regardless of the product.

At around 1000 degrees F (easily reachable inside a gun barrel during firing), Teflon/PTFE breaks down into a mixture of fluorinated acids and olephins, about 20% of which (I think) is trifluoroacetic acid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trifluoroacetic_acid), which is highly corrosive. There isn't a huge amount of PTFE in Rem Oil and CLP, but the breakdown products are still something you wouldn't want in your gun barrel.

Basically it gums up in areas where it gets very hot on semi-automatic firearms. Then barrel looses accuracy. The PTFE fumes are also not good for you. A number of manufacturers state in their owner's manual to not use lubricants containing PTFE (FN Herstal being one of them).

Well the bcg is basically dependent on what you want. Do you want mil spec(go with bcm or colt) or would you want a NiB coating. Rainier ares has an awesome NiB coated bcg. Hp and mpi tested bolt, properly staked. This has all the specs and what not, badass bcg if you ask me.

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3936

Yes use the JP head spaced bolt. It's always good to have a spare bolt. Use the JP barrel for your precision AR. You should be happy with it.

Last edited:
Yeah don't use that for your barrel. Also don't leave a bunch of oil in the bore regardless of the product.

Basically it gums up in areas where it gets very hot on semi-automatic firearms. Then barrel looses accuracy. The PTFE fumes are also not good for you. A number of manufacturers state in their owner's manual to not use lubricants containing PTFE (FN Herstal being one of them).

Well damn. Now I feel compelled to go buy something else and clean all my barrels. :(

Well the bcg is basically dependent on what you want. Do you want mil spec(go with bcm or colt) or would you want a NiB coating. Rainier ares has an awesome NiB coated bcg. Hp and mpi tested bolt, properly staked. This has all the specs and what not, badass bcg if you ask me.

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3936

Yes use the JP head spaced bolt. It's always good to have a spare bolt. Use the JP barrel for your precision AR. You should be happy with it.

The nickle boron strikes my fancy. I can't tell if there's a distinct advantage but I like it. You don't by chance work for ranier do you? :)

Well damn. Now I feel compelled to go buy something else and clean all my barrels. :(

The nickle boron strikes my fancy. I can't tell if there's a distinct advantage but I like it. You don't by chance work for ranier do you? :)

There is an advantage, the coating reduces friction, basically has lubricating properties in the coating. So you can run them without lube (I still lube mine, I've tested without and it worked flawlessly. It is nice to know your gun won't fail because the bcg is getting dry), extended life of the bcg and upper, less maintenance and cleaning is much easier.

Lol no I just really like Rainier. Great customer service. Large selection and flat shipping on everything. Also for example they offer a lifetime warranty on that bcg. Just a good company.

^^^^^^^^^^Thanks man. I did notice that lifetime warranty. The problem now is I started reading about carriers and I just found out that JP makes supposedly an even superior product, though at a much higher price. It's gnawing at me a little since that's the brand of bolt and barrel I'll be running. I might need to start selling some shit if I want to finish these anytime soon. lol. At least the last of the parts necessary for the lowers should be arriving in the mail within the next week or so.

^^^^^^^^^^Thanks man. I did notice that lifetime warranty. The problem now is I started reading about carriers and I just found out that JP makes supposedly an even superior product, though at a much higher price. It's gnawing at me a little since that's the brand of bolt and barrel I'll be running. I might need to start selling some shit if I want to finish these anytime soon. lol. At least the last of the parts necessary for the lowers should be arriving in the mail within the next week or so.

Well get both. Do the JP carrier on your precision rig with the JP head spaced enhanced bolt you already have and get the NiB for your 14.5 or 16" rifle.

The JP has their qpq(melonite) vs the NiB. You can research that if you like.

Well get both. Do the JP carrier on your precision rig with the JP head spaced enhanced bolt you already have and get the NiB for your 14.5 or 16" rifle.

The JP has their qpq(melonite) vs the NiB. You can research that if you like.

Exactly. But my wallet is looking for a bailout on this one. :icon_cry2

Do you have an opinion on the qpq? I didn't realize that was melonite (which i believe i have one handgun finished in). My cursory research is that the JP is the best and better than NiB. My guess is that's true and the question becomes how much better vs. how much more expensive.

Exactly. But my wallet is looking for a bailout on this one. :icon_cry2

Do you have an opinion on the qpq? I didn't realize that was melonite (which i believe i have one handgun finished in). My cursory research is that the JP is the best and better than NiB. My guess is that's true and the question becomes how much better vs. how much more expensive.

Well melonite is more hardening, also they are very corrosion resistant. I thought about getting one, it has been a while since I've looked into them. I'm not really going to research it atm, so if you research it and think it is worth it go for it. Don't get the low mass carrier if that is the one you are looking at. Get the full mass.

Well melonite is more hardening, also they are very corrosion resistant. I thought about getting one, it has been a while since I've looked into them. I'm not really going to research it atm, so if you research it and think it is worth it go for it. Don't get the low mass carrier if that is the one you are looking at. Get the full mass.

Yeah, I was looking at the full mass. If one of my main goals is recoil reduction then I'm guessing heavier is going to be better pretty much all around. I'll probably end up shelling out for the JP since every review says it's noticeably the best. I feel like I need to experience the difference between the JP, a nickle boron, and the regular old version.

I'm having a buttstock crisis all of the sudden too. I've always planned on the Skeleton Stock but now I just can't stop eyeballing the Magpul UBR. Instead of two fixed stocks maybe I should have one that's collapsible (even though I don't like them much but that UBR could be different). Decisions, decisions.

Yeah, I was looking at the full mass. If one of my main goals is recoil reduction then I'm guessing heavier is going to be better pretty much all around. I'll probably end up shelling out for the JP since every review says it's noticeably the best. I feel like I need to experience the difference between the JP, a nickle boron, and the regular old version.

I'm having a buttstock crisis all of the sudden too. I've always planned on the Skeleton Stock but now I just can't stop eyeballing the Magpul UBR. Instead of two fixed stocks maybe I should have one that's collapsible (even though I don't like them much but that UBR could be different). Decisions, decisions.

Well low mass can be made to be very light recoil but it isn't as simple as say making a heavy rifle. You would need an adjustable gas block like the Noveske switchblock. It is just trickier to dial in and you need to mess with springs, buffers and gas block adjustments.

Keep the PRS for the 20" they are badass. I love my UBR but it is extremely heavy. Do what you want to do not what people think on the internet is cool.

Well low mass can be made to be very light recoil but it isn't as simple as say making a heavy rifle. You would need an adjustable gas block like the Noveske switchblock. It is just trickier to dial in and you need to mess with springs, buffers and gas block adjustments.

Keep the PRS for the 20" they are badass. I love my UBR but it is extremely heavy. Do what you want to do not what people think on the internet is cool.

I get there's more to it. I'm just thinking that all things being equal the heavier the rifle the less felt recoil. I'll definitely be all over this adjustable gas block. I want to use every trick in the book to make this light on recoil.

I hear you on the stock and doing what I want vs. listening to faceless dudes on the internet. I'll certainly go my own way but sometimes good advice is good advice, and I like to talk it through when I don't know what the hell I'm doing. :D

The Magpul stock arrived today. I also picked up the buffer tube, spring, and buffer. I'm told it's Black Rain, but I'm guessing that means they just bought it somewhere generic and called it theirs, or the dude made it up thinking I'd be impressed. Either way, I'm not sure the tube makes any difference, the spring is up for replacement if need be and the buffer weight for a fixed stock seems pretty much standard from what I can tell so this seems as good as any.

I am surprised by how heavy this stock is. This seems like a quality piece of work.

stock_zps0ff74885.jpg

Back