Keyboard Jockey Attempts Two AR-15 Builds

After a month in the mail some final parts arrived. I picked up the Phase 5 BAD lever, the KNS pins, an extended rubber pad for the stock, and an extra bolt catch (although I'm not sure why). I think I've got everything for the lowers (except a buffer spring upgrade that's on backorder) to be assembled. Might be time to start putting pieces together. :icon_evil

IMG_7597_zps2cbfaa66.jpg

After a month in the mail some final parts arrived. I picked up the Phase 5 BAD lever, the KNS pins, an extended rubber pad for the stock, and an extra bolt catch (although I'm not sure why). I think I've got everything for the lowers (except a buffer spring upgrade that's on backorder) to be assembled. Might be time to start putting pieces together. :icon_evil

IMG_7597_zps2cbfaa66.jpg

If you didn't get the Seekins enhanced bolt catch it looks as if you will have some extra bolt catches after you order the Seekins :p

The Seekins Precision Enhanced Bolt Catch is an easy to install upgrade that improves the functionality of any MIL SPEC lower receiver. Designed to make bolt manipulation easier, the unique, oversized bolt release button has an aggressive, diamond texture for positive operation regardless of conditions. The bottom part of the catch button is also larger and diamond textured, greatly assisting the operation of locking the bolt back.

The Enhanced Bolt Catch is CNC machined from tool steel for strength and longevity. Melonite coating is used for durability and smooth operation.

As with all Seekins Precision products, the Enhanced Bolt Catch is covered by the Seekins Precision Lifetime Warranty for the life of the product.

XSPBC2.jpg

0011510001-2.jpg

Edit: lol nvm you have the phase 5 BAD lever...

I looks like I now actually have two spare Seekins bolt catches. As you noticed, the Phase 5 includes the catch whereas the other battery assist devices bolt-on. I put the Phase 5 on the BRO and for the Spike's I used the Troy version over the High Standard catch pictured above. I'm not sure which, if any, of the BAD levers bolt properly over the Seekins catches. No matter really because I see no point in putting a better looking bolt catch on just to cover it up with the bolt-on lever.

In my efforts to not buy extra parts and because many of the accessories came with the necessary hardware I'v found myself short a few items on my lowers. :(

I seem to still need two castle nuts, a bolt catch buffer, an endplate, and a buffer retainer. As you can see I got the roll pin started on the Spike's before I realized there was no second buffer anywhere. I guess I should have used that Brownell's checklist or something. lol. I did get something accomplished. Here's where they stand. I'm going to update the OP with the parts added.

IMG_5496_zpsd583eb55.jpg

IMG_0504_zps5fb04196.jpg

Thanks Brownell's. Let's see if I can get these done or if I forgot something else. I just went ape shit trying to find my castle wrench. I looked on the holder attached to the safe door where I thought it was in a little sleeve but I only saw the 1911 wrench. I then proceded to tear through everything with no luck. I calmly finished my beer and decided to start from scratch, after searching a number of places twice. Low and behold there's the wrench in one of the sleeves. The little sucker is black and blended with the black background and I overlooked it. Eyesight for the win.

IMG_8965_zps55d60ace.jpg

It turns out half that shit I just posted I didn't need. I'd like to think I figured that out originally and just forgot. :)

Alas, the dust has settled on the lowers.

IMG_9169_zps00cc1fab.jpg

d0650b4e-3cd8-44ed-9ec5-2cfa72401545_zps20e83faf.jpg

For fun I put on the upper from a separate gun on each lower. That and a 40 round Pmag. Gotta see how it's gonna look (roughly). :)

e6b12f3f-5263-44d0-b806-66b0e236f2eb_zps10808171.jpg

a8f6599d-610f-45f6-8d5a-4dde52a9c0ac_zps4fe11804.jpg

Random thoughts:

- I ended up with the following extra parts (more or less). 2 bolt catches, 2 castle nuts, 2 end plates, a number of springs, a pin set, a Magpul PRS2 buttpad, and 2 BAD levers (but I knew that going in and put 'em on different rifles already). Plus 2 buffer springs, whenever the JP replacements arrive off backorder.

- BAD levers are cool. Not sure I notice one functioning much different/better than the others. They all seem a wee bit loose until the bolt's locked. Then they are all solid. None seem to hit the receiver. One big difference is the Phase 5 is the entire catch rather than an attachment that screws on over the stock catch. Phase 5 is the only one I tried with the Norgon ambi mag release, and it's quite manageable around the lever. Obviously more so when the bolt is open. I like the funky design and one-piece approach so it's my favorite. Only critique would be to "soften" the end sticking through the trigger guard.

- I dig the biohazard pins on the BRO lower. I like how the white contrasts. The are kinda thick in the head so they stick out a bit from the receiver. It's noticeable when disengaging the safety. No biggie though because the thumb slides off and hits the safety without problem. If you're a righty then that's not going to be an issue.

- The safety levers are pretty much superior in design, featuring enough options to please everyone. I love the short lever for the trigger finger side. The safeties on my other AR's will soon be parts casualties. It should be noted that one seems to be a little smoother so Hopefully that evens out with usage.

- The weight on the PRS stock is wonderful. It makes the BRO lower noticeably heavier than the Spike's. This seems promising for my goal of minimal recoil. Now I need to get the correct damn extended buttpad.

- These Geissele triggers are tits. The feel isn't as different as I thought it might be, but clearly much better. I can see how these will improve accuracy. Need more triggers. Ugh.

- The Spike's trigger guard had a little slop but some loctite sorted that out.

Thanks again Brownell's.

IMG_1718_zps5cd29134.jpg

The JP spring is pretty good for the $18.99. In a side by side comparison with a standard spring it definitely diminishes the unfortunate hollow ring that hampers the AR experience. I think I'll need to test out one of the JP silent capture springs, in spite of the $100+ price tag.

The adapter and Pachmayr recoil pad seemed like a good thing to try out, since one of my primary aims is reduction of felt recoil. I love how the pad part seals back up after sticking the screw through it. :)

The little jobby bottom right in the picture is for attaching a push button QD sling. Otherwise that stock allows only for running straps through/around it.

Also for the stock I picked up a mono-pod to attach to the (nicely concealed) rail. The exposed rail I find aesthetically inferior so I have a dilemma. I couldn't find a more desirable option than what this guy did and I think I might try to replicate it.

http://www.ammosmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=4257.0

SDC10780.jpg

Time to start thinking uppers. Well, just one for now.

Presently I'm considering the following options. JP low mass bolt carrier, JP/VTAC rifle length handguard, Black Rain/Syrac adjustable gas block, and a JP recoil eliminator. Yeah, that's so much JP I could maybe just have bought the upper, but then that wouldn't be assembling it from the barrel up. It'd be nice to find that handguard with the VTAC logo instead of the JP, just to mix it up. :)

I've become interested in 45 degree offset BUIS. Anyone have experience with these?

The accu shot works great. I have one on my M1A. Gives you awesome control.

Time to start thinking uppers. Well, just one for now.

Presently I'm considering the following options. JP low mass bolt carrier, JP/VTAC rifle length handguard, Black Rain/Syrac adjustable gas block, and a JP recoil eliminator. Yeah, that's so much JP I could maybe just have bought the upper, but then that wouldn't be assembling it from the barrel up. It'd be nice to find that handguard with the VTAC logo instead of the JP, just to mix it up. :)

I've become interested in 45 degree offset BUIS. Anyone have experience with these?

Gimmicky.

I have some on a rifle with a high powered scope. I have yet to use the iron sights.

The accu shot works great. I have one on my M1A. Gives you awesome control.

Excellent news. It seems impressively constructed. Mine has a minor gouge that took off the finish as well. I'm considering exchanging it. I hate that process.

Gimmicky.

I have some on a rifle with a high powered scope. I have yet to use the iron sights.

Part of me doesn't care about BUIS because I'm not going to be shooting that rifle without an optic. Part of me thinks you gotta have BUIS on your gun!! It doesn't even make sense to me that those would work that well, except for in a pinch and up close. Now I'm back to complete indecision. :(

Thanks to both you dudes.

Alright. Thanks again USPS.

I've got an ejection port cover and spring. The bolt carrier pin package. A VTAC 4 in 1 sling mount. The JP silent captured spring and a spring variety pack. A red thermal dissipator. A tac rail and a front sight rail for the JP handguard. And a Spike's rifle length gas tube.

One note of annoyance is I'd confirmed with the vendor I'd be receiving the handguard with the VTAC logo (not JP) and that didn't happen. We'll see how that turns out.

IMG_4654_zps8f752820.jpg

Alright. Thanks again USPS.

I've got an ejection port cover and spring. The bolt carrier pin package. A VTAC 4 in 1 sling mount. The JP silent captured spring and a spring variety pack. A red thermal dissipator. A tac rail and a front sight rail for the JP handguard. And a Spike's rifle length gas tube.

One note of annoyance is I'd confirmed with the vendor I'd be receiving the handguard with the VTAC logo (not JP) and that didn't happen. We'll see how that turns out.

IMG_4654_zps8f752820.jpg

I'd rock the JP since you are using their barrel and bcg. Just imo.

I'd rock the JP since you are using their barrel and bcg. Just imo.

You're right. I think I'm holding JP to a different standard than Black Rain. Part of me would rather be KVLT with the VTAC logo than appear to be showy with the JP. I'm not building this thing to spend money and look like a pretentious dick (could happen anyway, who knows?). I'm just trying to get my personal mix of aesthetics, quality, and comfort while accepting the fact that it's going to cost me. Especially with trial and error. But that's also why I'm doing one upper and I'm going to be broke like an mf'er well into next year. :eek:

Funny thing is I don't have much of a choice at this point. I can't find anybody with the VTAC logo'd version and I"m absolutely dead set on that handguard. This picture is an expression of how that particular design looks in comparison to all of the other handguards out there (ok, maybe that's hyberbole).

dayana_mendoza_beach_art.jpg

What are you doing with them?

In order of confusion.

1. Return to Brownell's
2. Sell to one of a couple friends who are making noise about doing builds
3. Keep and hope to use later
4. Buy cheap stripped lower and put together the "all-reject/excess" gun
5. ???

:)

I completed my first AR 15 build on Saturday. I bought a premium rifle kit from PSA, and went through my LGS for the lower, which is an Anderson lower. When i first sat down to tackle this beast last week, I noticed I didn't have a couple tools that the job required. Went to Harbor Freight on Friday, and woke up Saturday to put this rifle together. You have to love YouTube, fucking site has videos on everything. The build took me a little over an hour or so to complete, and everything looks good. I was informed that i put my back up rear site on backwards, and that has been corrected.

Damn Larry, that's fast. I'm still accumulating parts. And your assembly time is impressive. You did the lower and the upper in an hour?

What tools did you find you needed?

You're right. I think I'm holding JP to a different standard than Black Rain. Part of me would rather be KVLT with the VTAC logo than appear to be showy with the JP. I'm not building this thing to spend money and look like a pretentious dick (could happen anyway, who knows?). I'm just trying to get my personal mix of aesthetics, quality, and comfort while accepting the fact that it's going to cost me. Especially with trial and error. But that's also why I'm doing one upper and I'm going to be broke like an mf'er well into next year. :eek:

Funny thing is I don't have much of a choice at this point. I can't find anybody with the VTAC logo'd version and I"m absolutely dead set on that handguard. This picture is an expression of how that particular design looks in comparison to all of the other handguards out there (ok, maybe that's hyberbole).

dayana_mendoza_beach_art.jpg

In order of confusion.

1. Return to Brownell's
2. Sell to one of a couple friends who are making noise about doing builds
3. Keep and hope to use later
4. Buy cheap stripped lower and put together the "all-reject/excess" gun
5. ???

:)

I vote #4........could never be a bad thing to have an extra beater AR around.

Damn Larry, that's fast. I'm still accumulating parts. And your assembly time is impressive. You did the lower and the upper in an hour?

What tools did you find you needed?

Little over an hour, but this was a parts kits so all the parts where there, just need to lay them out, get organized, and copy what the video was showing me.

I used needle nose pliers, a hammer that watch makers use, flat head screw driver, couple allen wrenches, WD-40, and duct tape. Everyone one of these tools was important and i need to buy a special type of wrench to tighten the ring between the stock and buffer tube.

What helped was having the parts kit, PSA premium rifle kit made this a hell of a lot easier than i thought it was going to be.

Are there any other good stocks out there for the price besides Magpul? Nothing against Magpul, just wondering.

I used needle nose pliers, a hammer that watch makers use, flat head screw driver, couple allen wrenches, WD-40, and duct tape. Everyone one of these tools was important and i need to buy a special type of wrench to tighten the ring between the stock and buffer tube.

Did you need a barrel wrench for the upper?

Are there any other good stocks out there for the price besides Magpul? Nothing against Magpul, just wondering.

I'm not that well-versed in stocks. I don't care much for collapsible's. I like the ACE Skeleton stocks and those go for about 100 bux I think. Vltor seems to be well-respected. Maybe check them out.

Back