Lack Of People Wanting To Work

I work as a firefighter and it’s insane how much the market has changed since I hired on 10 years ago.

When I first was applying places I would be applying against a hundred people for a spot or two. Now a days kids can pick and choose where they want to work when they get done with fire + medic. And my job is pretty good btw, my base salary is 85ish a year and great benefits. Last year i cleared 100k but I also work a decent amount of overtime, again due to lack of new hires.
Wow that is surprising. I remember I had a couple friends that wanted to get into firefighting, we're talking about 15 or so years ago. I remember hearing how hard it was to even get considered and then to actually get placed somewhere. If that is indeed the case across the board, what do you think caused? I would guess emphasis on qol but I'm just guessing, plenty of people still get into the medical field from what I can tell.

Thanks sherbro. I got a small bump in pay, not quite what I was looking for but enough to shut me up for now. More importantly I got my 4 day work week! It's crazy how uncomfortable I was asking for things when I was younger, older me doesn't have that problem lol.
View attachment 932994
Congrats man! A win for any one of us is reason to celebrate

If I didn't live with my sister I'd probably struggle but luckily I stay with her and we split everything

Even at 20/hr

Granted I'm always working 45 to 62 hrs a week
Same. Had a tenement level apartment a couple years ago, and I was struggling hard. Even as cheap as I am. I rent a house with some friends now. Which is definitely why I'm debt free and own my car.

You'd think $19 working 50+ hours a week would be enough for a decent one bedroom apartment, but it really isn't.

Talking to a friend this morning regarding a position she's trying to fill. Outside sales for an electronics company. Starting salary is 96k. No prior experience is necessary. Plus it includes potential bonuses and benefits. Its now been a month and she still hasnt found anyone even after 17 interviews.

She said most people would literally set appointments to meet with her then cancel claiming sickness or otherwise. The ones that do show up surprisingly come with demands and usually want a remote at home position even though it states they have to report back to the office and work from office when not on the road.

Some just bring a shitty initial attitude.

The ones with actual experience want more $$$.

Back in my youth, if someone offered me a damn near 6 figure starting position with benefits, even half that, I wouldnt have flinched.

You would think that with all thats happening, with costs of living sky high, that position would be gone in seconds.

I dont even know what to make of it tbh.
chickens coming home to roost my friend. I think are lack or wrong values is all culminating in all of this. Not just the work, the homeless, the addicted, the shootings, country is falling apart by the day.

I don't get where everyone went though. Did they just leave the work force? Seems its companies of all levels are having this issue but especially lower paying jobs
maybe they are just tired of the bullshit, maybe it isn't all laziness and entitlement although I'm sure that's the case too.

Wow that is surprising. I remember I had a couple friends that wanted to get into firefighting, we're talking about 15 or so years ago. I remember hearing how hard it was to even get considered and then to actually get placed somewhere. If that is indeed the case across the board, what do you think caused? I would guess emphasis on qol but I'm just guessing, plenty of people still get into the medical field from what I can tell.
my stepdad got a firemans job, or rather, completed the training and was offered a job, said it was the hardest thing he ever did. I dunno, I don't question that but I would think that most of the time the real job doesn't involve any work, but when it does, it's everything that might make it hard.

The job market is fucked all over. Most candidates I see these days are immigrants that don't have the qualifications and can't communicate effectively due to the language barrier. The few candidates who are qualified and do speak the language either have a poor work history or they are an obvious HR issue. I had one young woman interview for a simple secretarial position and before I even had the chance to ask the first question she informed me she would only work 10am-4pm three days a week and we had to cover 100% of the medical costs of her 'support animal' which was an honestly very cute rabbit she brought with her. I explained the job was for 32 hours per week(Mon-Thurs 8am-4pm) and that was not negotiable. She freaked, started shouting and crying, I felt bad for her rabbit.

funny.

Same. Had a tenement level apartment a couple years ago, and I was struggling hard. Even as cheap as I am. I rent a house with some friends now. Which is definitely why I'm debt free and own my car.

You'd think $19 working 50+ hours a week would be enough for a decent one bedroom apartment, but it really isn't.
Prices are insane down here right now

Thank Joe pesci our landlord is a nice older lady who's only raised the rent once and only by 50 bucks

I was able to pay my car off in 3 years and now I'm saving a good chunk of my money for an eventual down payment on a house

Well obviously it depends on where you live. For example here in MI I know local hospitals will pretty much reimburse nursing students for their schooling they are such demand. And as for my field I think honestly I think it’s because kids these days want an easier job. My job is pretty rough a lot of days. That and for some reason people think us and cops get paid shit. Again that’s going to largely depend on where you live but out here that’s not the case.

Talking to a friend this morning regarding a position she's trying to fill. Outside sales for an electronics company. Starting salary is 96k. No prior experience is necessary. Plus it includes potential bonuses and benefits. Its now been a month and she still hasnt found anyone even after 17 interviews.

She said most people would literally set appointments to meet with her then cancel claiming sickness or otherwise. The ones that do show up surprisingly come with demands and usually want a remote at home position even though it states they have to report back to the office and work from office when not on the road.

Back in my youth, if someone offered me a damn near 6 figure starting position with benefits, even half that, I wouldnt have flinched.

You would think that with all thats happening, with costs of living sky high, that position would be gone in seconds.

The fuck?? Which wholesaler a couple of the bigger ones are clients of my work maybe ill threaten to jump ship for a raise lol

Some places don’t hire and want to bitch too.

I am the maintenance manager at a mill. We pay over 100k in an area with a very low cost of living and yet, the higher ups and HR were underwhelmed with the amount of people who applied for our last posting.

We went through rounds of interviewés with multiple candidates. One that stuck out to me was a young guy (23) with a seemingly great attitude and glowing referrals who relocated to the area and had been working for a contractor in town.

This was my pick as the rest were uninspiring or did not really have relèvent experience. HR ans upper management insisted on waiting for the “perfect” employee instead of taking a chance on a young Guy and moulding him, despite being understaffed.

Finally, I got my way. He’s been with us 6 months now and is a great fit. He is green but doing very well and I am glad of my choice. How many good candidates get passed up on due to unrealistic expectations? Take a chance on a worker once in awhile. Worst case scenario, you can cut them loose during their probationary period or even extend it to see if you have questions.

Beggars can’t be choosers.

covid has changed the game, my guy. the next position i apply for i will just demand an insane amount of salary and they'll prolly come back with a lower number that they think is a lowball but will still be more than what im currently making

Same in my field. My company struggled for months and months to find someone decent who was willing to work, then they left after 3 months. Another search and they finally found someone.

On the plus side, its a competitive advantage for me since i'm actually willing to work.

Although i have noticed, since covid my will to work has gone down a bit.

Sounds like she's the one not wanting to hire.

Back