News Lee Sun-kyun: Parasite actor, 48, found dead in apparent suicide

Asian societies are very strict and obsessed with conformity. If you don't conform to what other people expect you to act, look and behave like, you're a pariah. It's like that phase in high school where everyone tries to fit in and attacks those who don't, but it never ends. I roll my eyes when people put those societies on a pedestal because they don't realize how much freedom and individualism we have here that they just take for granted. Asian societies aren't western societies with less crime and cleaner streets, they come with a whole slew of negative aspects that make you realize how many things we DO get right in the west.

I'm fascinated with Asian cultures mainly Japan and it's true. I watched a bunch of interviews of people from the west who move to Japan and the negatives are pretty crazy.

One guy said that having a hobby outside of work is looked down upon by most people in that society. He said it took him a very long time to find a company that was more western about that sort of stuff.

I saw an interview recently with Rampage where he talked about Japan and how the people are just like robots basically. When he meet the Yakuza he said it was the first time he meet Japanese people who acted like normal people.

People here are too hung up on the drug use not with the hoors he hung out with. What do you think he was doing after smoking a blunt with a hooker? With a wife and kids? Him being a famous guy? Blackmail?

Yeah that's plausible, good thinking.

the diude had no drugs in his system or in two different hair follicle sampling events and he committed suicide

ponder that for a moment

it's probably not that simple, someone of that caliber probably pissed off the wrong person

I'm assuming this as well tbh. In my earlier post I mentioned I'm shocked he "committed suicide" at his age being unable to handle the social pressure. There are plenty of 20s year olds celebrity that committed suicide over the years but a man at age 47? A small group of people are also speculating he messed with the wrong higher ups and they decided to stick it up to him. Although, this will never be confirmed, especially in a culture like theirs.

The Kpop wave that started a decade ago, glamorised Korea way too much especially for people in Asia. So many of my friends wanted to live there, when we were in our 20s, not understanding what is depicted in showbiz is very different from real world lifestyle there. I always smh. A buddy of mine married a Korean lady and while she is wonderful, my buddy say the pressure of being the "head" of the family is heavy.

Despite being Asian, Chinese, myself. Korea and Japan strict hierarchy culture is a shock to me.

Also, I understand many of you is appalled by the drug law that "lead" to his death. But I'm extremely happy we have these strict laws protecting us. Singapore where I'm from have the strictest drug law is occasionally condemned and I remember a thread here couple of years back did the same with me defending our stance.

It seems sad for Westerners that we can't do what we want in our own time, but it works. It makes our environment extremely safe to live in, even for ladies walking alone at 2am. I'll take strict laws over potential crazy addicts messing up an area of the country turning into a slump or whatever it's called.

That said, What I disagree is it that it's crime for us to try recreational drugs even when we are in countries that are permitted. Most of the countries that ban drugs seems to have this law, which I find ridiculous. Many people get into trouble with weed marijuana consumption overseas upon returning to their country. I think this should not be the case. Banning the use in our own country is perfectly fine, but making it illegal for its citizens to use even out of its borders, is bonkers.

What a shame to feel pressured to that degree because you smoked some weed and took some k with a hostess.

There’s something seriously wrong with drug laws. Just legalise and control.

Only group at risk are teenagers and they get everything anyways right now.

Korea doesn’t have streets of fentanyl users like the US.

Please keep your advice to yourself.

Korea doesn’t have streets of fentanyl users like the US.

Please keep your advice to yourself.
You know fucking nothing. In general. About any topic.
<36>
I won’t even start to explain.

Also great to make it about yourself and your shitty opinion about the mess you perceive America as again.

Guy killed himself in foreign country
Shertard: Uhmm, muhhh, muhhh but America you evil stupid person.“

Do Koreans have some bizarre ritualistic way of killing themselves as well where it's not shameful?

"under investigation for illicit drug USE"

What the fuck? Korea as a whole should be ashamed that's even a thing.
I mean we're still sorting out fuckin marijuana here.

I mean we're still sorting out fuckin marijuana here.
Understood, but we don't investigate people here for using drugs. Selling, trafficking, manufacturing, yeah, but not using. You either get caught with them or you don't.

You know fucking nothing. In general. About any topic.
<36>
I won’t even start to explain.

Also great to make it about yourself and your shitty opinion about the mess you perceive America as again.

Guy killed himself in foreign country
Shertard: Uhmm, muhhh, muhhh but America you evil stupid person.“
I know quite a lot about what I’m talking about. I grew up around drug users and saw it destroy lives and communities.

I’m also an educated man. I have a Master’s degree.

Back