Elections Leftwing commentator Kim Iversen explains why she likes Ron DeSantis

She made a post on twitter saying that she was going to vote republican down the ballot SOLELY as a protest vote and to send a message to democrats stop pushing censorship.

She is a social democrat as far as her political leanings, but true to certain principles which pisses liberals off. Despite being in favor of the entire Bernie platform in 2016 and 2020, she stands by her principles of free speech (anti-censorship) and bodily autonomy (pro-choice, anti-mandate). Liberals hate her because she doesn't just change her mind every time the democratic party changes theirs.

Her consistency on principles and her willingness to touch on stories that others avoid is the precise reason she has such a loyal audience. The show is suffering without her while she is off on her honeymoon this week. Too many new people that are party loyalists or corporate plants with no concrete principles.

Interesting and informative post, and it touches on something I'm fairly adamant about. Politicians react to being smacked on the nose. Telling them "Oh, we really want you to do this" when they don't think there are direct political consequences for it will accomplish nothing. Voting against them, and putting their political position in jeopardy, will motivate them. If all you can do is implore a party you're not wiling to vote directly against, you are contributing to their degradation.

This is why the "Vote blue no matter who" and its inverse (is there a catchy slogan for this?) is a genuine threat to the country. Politicians who have a base locked in that will reliably vote for them, whatever they do, will continue to enact shittier and shittier policy and they don't have that corrective back pressure of the threat of losing to keep

When the strategy that works switches from "I'll do things that are good for you" to "Oooohh, you don't want the bad men getting in do you? Vote for me or ooohh, scary bad man!" that's a dangerous milestone that has been crossed. Not just bad - dangerous.

I've been telling this to my local Albertans for years. Here people have voted reliably Conservatives for decades until recently (around 8 years ago) and the Conservatives kept getting worse. Corrupt, self interested, disconnected from their voters, etc. But, of course, as long as they knew they had the vote locked in, they had no incentive to cater to the voters. Then, around 8 years ago, the NDP (farthest left major party in the country) won the vote. They stayed in for one term, did a mixture of some good stuff and some utter garbage, then got booted out. Now, one of the biggest problems in Alberta was related to its biggest strengths - it has oil. Alberta's economy has, historically, been a one trick pony and people have been clamoring for diversifying the economy for a while. This was not made a real priority prior to the NDP getting in for that one term. When the Conservatives got back in though they started to put in all sorts of business and tax credits, and other incentives, for other businesses beyond oil and gas. Now, a few years later, stuff like this is popping up:

Rosenberg: Alberta economic turnaround is about more than just energy | Financial Post

Our tech industry is growing, our film industry too, we're courting a wider variety of non-energy businesses to come here through aggressive tax and incentive plans, and we're leveraging our strengths (a bunch of young, educated, unemployed or sick of the boom-bust cycle workers) to make businesses think this is a place to set up shop. It took a consistently Conservative province voting against the Conservatives to kick them in the pants and affect some change in their focus. The best thing Conservative Albertans did in the last several decades for the Conservative party was let their opposition win one. Voting across party lines is a vital correction mechanism in the type of democratic environment we inhabit.

Also, @Madmick , you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Go get some sales numbers wrong in the video game forum or something.

Vote red if you're braindead?

I have my doubts... But the whole red thing kind of got commandeered by the communist scare. "Better dead than red!" is the only slogan that might apply that fits. Really, Republicans might cringe a little bit whenever they talk about "the red wave" or something as, outside of a strictly American context, it sounds kind of soviet.

Interesting and informative post, and it touches on something I'm fairly adamant about. Politicians react to being smacked on the nose. Telling them "Oh, we really want you to do this" when they don't think there are direct political consequences for it will accomplish nothing. Voting against them, and putting their political position in jeopardy, will motivate them. If all you can do is implore a party you're not wiling to vote directly against, you are contributing to their degradation.

This is why the "Vote blue no matter who" and its inverse (is there a catchy slogan for this?) is a genuine threat to the country. Politicians who have a base locked in that will reliably vote for them, whatever they do, will continue to enact shittier and shittier policy and they don't have that corrective back pressure of the threat of losing to keep

When the strategy that works switches from "I'll do things that are good for you" to "Oooohh, you don't want the bad men getting in do you? Vote for me or ooohh, scary bad man!" that's a dangerous milestone that has been crossed. Not just bad - dangerous.

I've been telling this to my local Albertans for years. Here people have voted reliably Conservatives for decades until recently (around 8 years ago) and the Conservatives kept getting worse. Corrupt, self interested, disconnected from their voters, etc. But, of course, as long as they knew they had the vote locked in, they had no incentive to cater to the voters. Then, around 8 years ago, the NDP (farthest left major party in the country) won the vote. They stayed in for one term, did a mixture of some good stuff and some utter garbage, then got booted out. Now, one of the biggest problems in Alberta was related to its biggest strengths - it has oil. Alberta's economy has, historically, been a one trick pony and people have been clamoring for diversifying the economy for a while. This was not made a real priority prior to the NDP getting in for that one term. When the Conservatives got back in though they started to put in all sorts of business and tax credits, and other incentives, for other businesses beyond oil and gas. Now, a few years later, stuff like this is popping up:

Rosenberg: Alberta economic turnaround is about more than just energy | Financial Post

Our tech industry is growing, our film industry too, we're courting a wider variety of non-energy businesses to come here through aggressive tax and incentive plans, and we're leveraging our strengths (a bunch of young, educated, unemployed or sick of the boom-bust cycle workers) to make businesses think this is a place to set up shop. It took a consistently Conservative province voting against the Conservatives to kick them in the pants and affect some change in their focus. The best thing Conservative Albertans did in the last several decades for the Conservative party was let their opposition win one. Voting across party lines is a vital correction mechanism in the type of democratic environment we inhabit.

Also, @Madmick , you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Go get some sales numbers wrong in the video game forum or something.
Well in that case the best de dems ever did was let Trump win <Grimes01>

After 2016, I stopped voting and changed my voter registration from Democrat to Independent. When they rigged the primaries against Bernie in order to give Hillary the nomination, I realized that it doesn't actually matter who is in federal office. When private campaign donations (bribes) are allowed into a political system, it will rot the whole system before the people even catch on.

When a small group of the population with lots of money are allowed to donate to all sides of the political system, no matter who wins, the people will lose. It doesn't matter who is in office, they just use the political party system as a pretense of choice. The same policies will take place no matter which party is in power; the policies that benefit the wealthy. I will no longer legitimize a system like this with a vote.

Notice how its during a republican administration where red flag laws start being passed. Notice how its during a democrat administration (with control of the presidency and both congressional bodies) that women lose the right to choose, medicare gets privatized, and censorship policies start getting implemented. The political class are just lackeys for the oligarchs so they can divide the country in half and put half the country to sleep at a time while they pass their own agenda.

The political class doesn't work for the people. Take the Russian sanctions and the policy on Ukraine as a whole. The political class continues to ratchet up sanctions with the stated goal of hurting the Russian economy. They can plainly see the sanctions didn't work. The sanctions are causing MASSIVE inflation, not only in the United States and Europe, but across the whole world. An intelligent governance, working on behalf of the people would have ended this policy. The Ruble is now the fastest growing currency on the planet and Russia is making more off their fossil fuels than they did before the war due to the cost inflation on fossil fuels. Meanwhile, the governments of the US and Europe are destroying their own economies because they don't want to admit the policy failed, even for the sake of sparing their populaces hardship. The political class doesn't feel these hardships as their wealth insulates them from the damage they are doing (which is why in a representative democracy, you're not supposed to elect a bunch of millionaires).

The democratic party's planned strategy for 2024 is to run a republican as the democratic nominee. Not that Biden was much different, but this is full mask off; no more pretense of choice. Voting for 'the lesser of two evils' will just constantly keep moving a country in the wrong direction. It's a completely rigged system where any threat to the oligarchs is crushed because they own the media sources. I've learned to just stop voting until a candidate comes along with ideals that mostly align with mine that doesn't take bribes. I don't want to feel responsible when a candidate who takes bribes from corporations acts in the corporate interest at the expense of the people. Pretending it makes a difference who is in office when every candidate is on the take from the wealthy just seems kind of stupid.

Ah so you’re saying they don’t know what communism is, but now they also don’t know what left authoritarianism is. Thanks buddy.
I know you’re only trolling, but mandating that others take an experimental injection or lose basic rights fits the bill.

Authoritarian:

favoring complete obedience or subjection to authority as opposed to individual freedom.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/authoritarian

After 2016, I stopped voting and changed my voter registration from Democrat to Independent. When they rigged the primaries against Bernie in order to give Hillary the nomination, I realized that it doesn't actually matter who is in federal office. When private campaign donations (bribes) are allowed into a political system, it will rot the whole system before the people even catch on.

When a small group of the population with lots of money are allowed to donate to all sides of the political system, no matter who wins, the people will lose. It doesn't matter who is in office, they just use the political party system as a pretense of choice. The same policies will take place no matter which party is in power; the policies that benefit the wealthy. I will no longer legitimize a system like this with a vote.

Notice how its during a republican administration where red flag laws start being passed. Notice how its during a democrat administration (with control of the presidency and both congressional bodies) that women lose the right to choose, medicare gets privatized, and censorship policies start getting implemented. The political class are just lackeys for the oligarchs so they can divide the country in half and put half the country to sleep at a time while they pass their own agenda.

The political class doesn't work for the people. Take the Russian sanctions and the policy on Ukraine as a whole. The political class continues to ratchet up sanctions with the stated goal of hurting the Russian economy. They can plainly see the sanctions didn't work. The sanctions are causing MASSIVE inflation, not only in the United States and Europe, but across the whole world. An intelligent governance, working on behalf of the people would have ended this policy. The Ruble is now the fastest growing currency on the planet and Russia is making more off their fossil fuels than they did before the war due to the cost inflation on fossil fuels. Meanwhile, the governments of the US and Europe are destroying their own economies because they don't want to admit the policy failed, even for the sake of sparing their populaces hardship. The political class doesn't feel these hardships as their wealth insulates them from the damage they are doing (which is why in a representative democracy, you're not supposed to elect a bunch of millionaires).

The democratic party's planned strategy for 2024 is to run a republican as the democratic nominee. Not that Biden was much different, but this is full mask off; no more pretense of choice. Voting for 'the lesser of two evils' will just constantly keep moving a country in the wrong direction. It's a completely rigged system where any threat to the oligarchs is crushed because they own the media sources. I've learned to just stop voting until a candidate comes along with ideals that mostly align with mine that doesn't take bribes. I don't want to feel responsible when a candidate who takes bribes from corporations acts in the corporate interest at the expense of the people. Pretending it makes a difference who is in office when every candidate is on the take from the wealthy just seems kind of stupid.

It's tough to argue with such a bleak assessment, and it may be true at the large scale of the world's most important country where it isn't at the provincial level of po-dunk Canada. In a province of 4 million people voting patterns can matter. In a country of 300+ million, maybe the larger forces are just too much for there to be an realistic impact. Hopefully enough of you can make the type of realization you have to provide the impetus for change in the current party structure - maybe finally get that third party I've heard talked about for decades.

How can someone who is supposedly left wing like Desantis as a candidate? He wants lower taxes on corporations and more tax cuts, he doesn't support universal healthcare and wants to increase private insurance (healthcare isn't a right), he wants to increase military spending, he wants to end subsidies for wind and no carbon tax, he is pro-Israel, he wants to oppose same sex marriage, he doesn't want any restrictions on gun purchases, he wants to end public funding for abortions and is anti-abortion in general. Not to mention his holy schtick is based on the culture war and religous nonsense (wants to legislate school curriculums and have more prayers in school). Sure, he's good at what he does and speaking to his base and he might have an actual shot, but liking him coming from a "left" perspective? I wonder why she mentioned absolutely nothing of the above, or seemed concerned about that...

Btw, it's been Democrats in Florida proposing bills for legalization which Desantis has been opposing for years. He signed in a bill on medical marijuana, not recreational use.
Yeah that other commentator must not know anything about him. It’s pretty easy for a left winger to come up with a lot of reasons not to like him

No same worse. Democrats more effective evil. 99% of shit they do to fuck us wouldn't fly under republicans all the way back to clintons welfare reform

you have a lot to learn start here

https://www.counterpunch.org/2022/02/15/democrats-the-more-effective-evil/

As far as Student loans.. I just feel for these kids..when i went was basically free because we actually taxed rich people to pay for it.,..and it's not like rich arnt getting all the benefits anyway - an educated workforce to work for them.
Kinda rich to see you talk down to me when you're quoting an article that's parroting many of the talking points I already dealt with. I guess it does mention other ones like the moronic anti-NATO stance in regards to Russian aggression but its fundamentally another empty "b-both sides" piece.

If that's the kind of thing you're reading then you're the one with a lot to learn.

I see left wing propaganda has gotten a hold of a lot of people here.

You do realize that if world leaders responded to covid the same way DeSantis did, that we'd be seeing very modest inflation with no incoming recession right?

You do realize that if world leaders responded to covid the same way DeSantis did, that we'd be seeing very modest inflation with no incoming recession right?

I was shit on by quite a few posters here (many of which don't even live in Florida) over my positive outlook during the doldrums of the lockdowns.

I work closely with hospitals all over South Florida and my anecdotal evidence which rivaled the overreaction by mainstream media regarding hospitals down here being overwhelmed because of the "freedumbs" DeSantis was giving us was met with vitriol and consternation.

This is how I started to see thru the bullshit propaganda. Imagine waking up turning on the TV or staring at your smart phone all day thinking the sky is falling meanwhile things are slowly climbing back to the old normal. This whole wave of weirdness is just a means to divide us. It's insane how many people hate the other now. DeSantis is no Saint but you give him even an ounce of credit and people lose their shit.

Scary how many people take their cues from mainstream and social media. Mass formation psychosis was a right wing talking point at one time. Mass madness spreading and yet some folks can't walk a few paces without checking their "smart" phones

A few weeks ago I was looking to add solar power to my house. I live in Florida. I've decided against doing that for now. The solar panels costs are high, and I don't like the idea of putting holes into my roof. With the stock market down considerably, that plays a roll in my thinking also.

The sales lady i talked with about the solar panels seemed to like the governor here in Florida, Ron DeSantis. He was in favor of solar panels she said and has voted for their use in sunny Florida. As much sun as we receive in Florida it makes sense to support solar panels to me.

That's why I said I wouldn't vote for him. I think he's closer to a libertarian than a conservative, bible thumping Republican though. I can find common ground on social libertarian issues at least. I still wouldn't vote for him but I wouldn't be worried if he got the nomination and was president like I would a lot of the others.

He's not a libertarian at all. He has said that he thinks the safety net is fundamentally illegitimate (regardless of popular support and the process by which the policies are implemented), which codes as libertarianish. But he also supports the gov't forcing companies to support him on cultural issues (and his views of those are far from libertarian).

Last edited:
She made a post on twitter saying that she was going to vote republican down the ballot SOLELY as a protest vote and to send a message to democrats stop pushing censorship.

She is a social democrat as far as her political leanings, but true to certain principles which pisses liberals off. Despite being in favor of the entire Bernie platform in 2016 and 2020, she stands by her principles of free speech (anti-censorship) and bodily autonomy (pro-choice, anti-mandate). Liberals hate her because she doesn't just change her mind every time the democratic party changes theirs.

Her consistency on principles and her willingness to touch on stories that others avoid is the precise reason she has such a loyal audience. The show is suffering without her while she is off on her honeymoon this week. Too many new people that are party loyalists or corporate plants with no concrete principles.

The only way to be a principled leftist to Dore fans is to blindly support rightist candidates. If Republicans have total power and crush the left forever, that will teach people to be more left-wing. Few understand this.

Last edited:

Do you have any evidence to back up this assertion?

What makes these guys right wing? Calling out shit libs who will do nothing for their constituents? I want details not glib adhoms or snark
Dave Rubin identifies as a conservative libertarian who openly shilled for Trump and you're denying that he's a right winger? At this point it seems you guys think there are no such thing as right wingers.

She's so consistent with her principles like being pro-choice that she...voted for the pro-life party? Huh? And you guys think its weird for us to call someone like that, who votes GOP down the line, a right winger? What does make someone a right winger?

Sure bud. God knows it is only the ones who agree with everything right wing talking point while claiming to be on the left are open minded. I wonder why we never see that play out in reverse? Oh, that's right. Because grifting right wingers is like taking candy from a dumb, deaf, and blind baby.
What do you think large corporations are doing? Their policies are crafted to leech money from lefties by appearing cater to their policies while being anything but progressive of fair in their business practices. That's levels above and beyond anything else out there.

So just how dumb is the left? You know, judging by your own metric.

What do you think large corporations are doing? Their policies are crafted to leech money from lefties by appearing cater to their policies while being anything but progressive of fair in their business practices. That's levels above and beyond anything else out there.

So just how dumb is the left? You know, judging by your own metric.
This is very nonsensical. If leftists are buying stuff from companies, that's just normal capitalism. What "unfair business practices" are you referring to? That's considered a problem with laws and government by leftists, because the idea of leftism is that you have to enforce good behaviour with laws rather than just expecting profit-oriented structures to naturally adopt correct moral values. The most you could say is that leftists haven't been effective enough in achieving that, and are therefore stupid, but rightists exist as well and have political power to oppose those initiatives.

The inconsistency you're trying to appeal to here is based on a caricature.

Back