lets try to figure out this strange anomaly in MMA

That is the opposite of what i am asking...

I think we've just opened up another question: "Can you panic wrestle, offensively?"

Scenario: Fighter A is losing the standup, but manages to get a "lucky shot" and rocks his opponent. Instead of pouring it on and trying to get the finish, Fighter A opts to use the oppurtunity to desperately secure a takedown or dominant position to secure points because he doesn't want any more of that smoke in the standup.

many fighters are just dialled in to what they practice and drill (or they only have one mode of fighting in general) so if their gameplan involved a lot of clinch and hug against the fence that's what they'll instinctively do at the first opportunity.

being able to think about what's going on and react on the fly ('he's rocked, time to KO his ass') is quite a rare attribute after all.

Because there's less risk in trying to submit a rocked opponent than there is in trying knock him out.

Trying to finish standing still leaves you vulnerable to a counter shot regardless of how rocked your opponent is. If you can take them down and gain position on top then you can remove that risk.

Of course then you become vulnerable to subs but most fighters can't slap on an instasub from nowhere while rocked, while a wild haymaker can always knock someone out.

Some people have that killer instinct, some don't. Not sure how fighters would practice finishing outside of Chute Boxe-style 100% sparring.

They train a lot, and a big part of that training is to instinctively take advantage of every small edge. When a fighter lands a big strike and senses his opponent is thrown off, they want to turn that advantage into a bigger one as soon as possible.

If they were able to step back and look at it from a distance, they might make a different choice, but in the throws of the action they go on what they've trained.

Where I get think your point really applies is when the corner doesn't scream at their fighter to pull away and force their groggy opponent to stand up when most likely they will either just lay there or fall over and the ref will have to call a TKO.

I guess that’s usually because fighter A is not confident enough in his own striking/ko power and/or not want to risk getting caught by fighter B’s counter strike(s) and get KO’d.

Because there's less risk in trying to submit a rocked opponent than there is in trying knock him out.

Trying to finish standing still leaves you vulnerable to a counter shot regardless of how rocked your opponent is. If you can take them down and gain position on top then you can remove that risk.

Of course then you become vulnerable to subs but most fighters can't slap on an instasub from nowhere while rocked, while a wild haymaker can always knock someone out.

Dropping a guy and going for a sub is smart. Cerrone comes to mind, but that's not what i am talking about. I mean when they rock the guy then do absolutely fuck all with it.

It happens all the time.

Are you telling me these fighters aren't aware of everything in their surroundings when they are in a fight?

{<diva}

I was gonna be all like {<huh}

then i realized you are responding to some dummy i have on ignore. lol

Dropping a guy and going for a sub is smart. Cerrone comes to mind, but that's not what i am talking about. I mean when they rock the guy then do absolutely fuck all with it.

It happens all the time.

Well, I don't know. I see guys rock a fighter, then land an easy takedown, then gnp for a finish all the time. I assume that when they rock their enemy then try to land a takedown, that they're looking for easy gnp or a sub, but sometimes their opponent isn't as rocked as they thought and they end up in a stalemate in the clinch.

"Anomaly." I do not think it means what you think it means.

A- Fighter A has poor fight IQ
B- Fighter A is actually tired and wants to take the chance to rest on top or possibly end the fight.
C- Fighter A is actually a much worse striker than fighter B and wants to take advantage of his monetary advantage to get the fight to the ground.

one of these 3.

D) He/she actually knows better than the audience that the opponent wasn't as rocked as we think.

Wrestling exhaustion instinct. Confidence in being able to submit someone that is hurt.

I would say it's A

but B is more of what i was getting at. Get him rocked then just lay on him and not really capitalize on it.

So every time it is A? It can't be anything else, just A. I have a feeling you're trolling since you asked a question and seemingly have already decided upon an answer.

D) He/she actually knows better than the audience that the opponent wasn't as rocked as we think.

E) He/she does not realize how rocked the opponent was.
F) He/She is rocked themselves and not thinking 100% clearly.
G) He/She hurt their fist and want to get it to the ground so they can better use elbows.

There are possibilities but the OP had their mind made up before they even made this thread.

The easy answer for me is the fighter is probably tired. Which affects everything else. Their fight IQ, etc. It’s really so inexplicable at times that that is the only thing that makes complete sense to me. But when your corner is screaming at you and you refuse to listen (Andre Soukhamthath vs Sugar Sean). Then I don’t know wtf???

Fighters go back to their bases when they ate tire, so if its late in the fight and they see an opening the shoot on instics, they are too tired to realize that oppening its there because they hurt the opponent with strikes.

Back