Looking for a supplemental instructional that takes white belt from A to Z.

WarriorMonk7

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
The problem I have with BJJ instruction is that it is taught out of order.

C --> K --> F --> D --> O etc.

I am looking for a supplemental instructional that takes white belts from A to Z. There are just so many to choose - and few reviews online:

Gracie University, Marcelo Garcia In Action, Paulson's Combat Submission Wrestling Online, Draculino's online vids etc.

I know I need to work on muscle memory in an MMA gym, and I am doing that. Just looking for a recommendation for an online home supplementation in either "online access" or DVD format while off the mat. (PS: I looked at Maia's and Ribeiro's DVDs and found it too advanced for me.)

I greatly appreciate any help!! = )

How long have you been practicing bjj? And is your goal to learn bjj in the context of mma or simply to learn bjj?

Check out roy dean blue belt requirements, maybe get his white belt dvd too.

These are the only tapes you need, playboy.

roy dean blue belt requirements

if u have this dvd on loop as a white belt, u will be straight

@Stephan Kesting; Bigger, Stronger Dvd set with Brandon Mullins. Gave me a very good overall game plan from standing all the way through submission. All connected in a way that made sense and could actually work.

The problem I have with BJJ instruction is that it is taught out of order.

C --> K --> F --> D --> O etc.

I am looking for a supplemental instructional that takes white belts from A to Z. There are just so many to choose - and few reviews online:

Gracie University, Marcelo Garcia In Action, Paulson's Combat Submission Wrestling Online, Draculino's online vids etc.

I know I need to work on muscle memory in an MMA gym, and I am doing that. Just looking for a recommendation for an online home supplementation in either "online access" or DVD format while off the mat. (PS: I looked at Maia's and Ribeiro's DVDs and found it too advanced for me.)

I greatly appreciate any help!! = )

Marcelo Garcia in Action has a great and comprehensive fundamentals section taught by Paul Schreiner. Ive noticed that Keenan Cornelius' website has recently started putting up interesting-looking beginner videos that delve into things like how to recompose your guard after being taken down, but his site is nowhere near as large or professional as some others.

@Stephan Kesting; Bigger, Stronger Dvd set with Brandon Mullins. Gave me a very good overall game plan from standing all the way through submission. All connected in a way that made sense and could actually work.

I came in to say grapple arts / @Stephan Kesting and I LOVE the Brandon Mullen set. But as a white belt I would start with with BJJ Road map, the sub app. The sub defense app, and the sweeps app.

That's a ton of techniques, transitions, etc. to learn. And they are cheap, goes right on your phone / tablets for iPhone or android.

After that I would layer on the Mullins set, which is again is an amazing game plan DVD set.

How about an a-z for no gi?
I recommend the same beginner stuff above, it is mostly no -gi but gives the basics gi grips and gi chokes but otherwise 100% good for both

I guess I will stick to Roy Dean and @Stephan Kesting. I very much appreciate the recommendations.

Any other tips are welcome. I am open to anything.

How long have you been practicing bjj? And is your goal to learn bjj in the context of mma or simply to learn bjj?
Couple months on. Then off due to injury. Then on. Then off because of other obligations. Rinse; repeat.

I'm basically a white belt in my eyes.

And definitely in the context of MMA. I don't like pure sport BJJ. Thanks for the help.

Marcelo Garcia in Action has a great and comprehensive fundamentals section taught by Paul Schreiner. Ive noticed that Keenan Cornelius' website has recently started putting up interesting-looking beginner videos that delve into things like how to recompose your guard after being taken down, but his site is nowhere near as large or professional as some others.
Did you try Gracie University?

I watched their entire Gracie Combatives course. I liked it very much besides their suggestion to get your belt online. But the production quality and explanations were amazing.

Couple months on. Then off due to injury. Then on. Then off because of other obligations. Rinse; repeat.

I'm basically a white belt in my eyes.

And definitely in the context of MMA. I don't like pure sport BJJ. Thanks for the help.
Gracie Combatives is probably the best for your situation. Clear, organized progression with some striking defenses in there.

saulo ribiero freestyle revolution

I think roy dean has a no gi essentials dvd as well

saulo ribiero freestyle revolution

I think roy dean has a no gi essentials dvd as well

Roy Dean nogi is good too especially for someone who has no clue about training w/o the gi, it's basically a perfect intro for the couch potato beginning their journey.

These are the only tapes you need, playboy.

For anyone who ever bought these on VHS!!!!!, just L O L O L O L.

Last month my first mma class in like 10 years and I did the hook shoulder pressure BJJ take down.

Afterwards I was like “you can’t let me do that, man, I learned that over 15 years ago on a copy of a copy of a Mario Sperry VHS tape”.

Nobody got the reference except my coach.

Back