Looking for an RPG

I just started Fallout 76 and really enjoying it. It been out for a bit and had a ton of bad press at launch. There have been some serious changes over the years and took the plunge when people said it’s much better these days.

The game I’m really looking forward to though is Biomutant which comes in May. I’d post some vids but I’m my work phone and it’s a pain.

Immortals: Fenyx Rising might be worth a look. More of a hack and slash, but has some light RPG elements and a big open world.

I just started Fallout 76 and really enjoying it. It been out for a bit and had a ton of bad press at launch. There have been some serious changes over the years and took the plunge when people said it’s much better these days.

The game I’m really looking forward to though is Biomutant which comes in May. I’d post some vids but I’m my work phone and it’s a pain.

Immortals: Fenyx Rising might be worth a look. More of a hack and slash, but has some light RPG elements and a big open world.
No need to post the Biomutant vids. I've been looking forward to that one for two years. I'm starting it on May 25th for sure.

I have been interested in Immortals Fenyx Rising. It might be next for me.

Good suggestions, Sherbro.

elex is trash
Don’t listen to this guy. Elex is eurojank but I’d say based on what you’re looking for you’ve got a really good chance or loving it. To be fair it starts really slow. Pirate and buy if you like it.

Bump

This thread introduced me to Elex, which was exactly what I was looking for. I ask you for help once again, Sherbros. I just want to create a character and run around killing shit in a world that's fun to explore. Have the last 3 years come up with any games that fit the bill (that aren't souls-like)?
There was a freeroam title that came out of a small studio in New Zealand 1-2 years ago that for one reason or another came to mind when reading your bump. It was called Ashen and might be perfect to hold you over until 25 May. Check it out, brother.

Bump

This thread introduced me to Elex, which was exactly what I was looking for. I ask you for help once again, Sherbros. I just want to create a character and run around killing shit in a world that's fun to explore. Have the last 3 years come up with any games that fit the bill (that aren't souls-like)?

Heard good things about Outer Worlds

There was a freeroam title that came out of a small studio in New Zealand 1-2 years ago that for one reason or another came to mind when reading your bump. It was called Ashen and might be perfect to hold you over until 25 May. Check it out, brother.
I've had that on my Steam wishlist forever, but never played it. Good call.
Heard good things about Outer Worlds
I played the first two hours of that game twice and didn't get into it. Maybe it's worth another go.

Ashen is great. Greedfall is a good shout, too.

Bump

Have you tried Final Fantasy X/X2 Remaster or XII Zodiac Age yet? Not sure if you are into JRPGS but they are classic. XII might be more up your alley. You can't create a character but you can create classes and builds.

Have you looked into Enderal? It's a standalone RPG built off of the Skyrim engine and free on Steam. Been wanting to play it, but I have the Special Edition and it's not compatible. I've been tempted to by the standard edition just to play this mod, but read a few weeks back that there is a group working to make an Enderal SE version so just waiting for that.

I tried Enderal. Maybe it's just me but I found it stupid difficult.

Bump

Have you played any of the other Piranha Bytes games?

After Elex, I played Risen 3 and really liked it. It's the next most recent game they've released so it's probably the least dated. Similar mechanics but has a slightly better story than Elex imo.

Have you tried Final Fantasy X/X2 Remaster or XII Zodiac Age yet? Not sure if you are into JRPGS but they are classic. XII might be more up your alley. You can't create a character but you can create classes and builds.
I loved X as a kid. I haven't tried the remaster. I just remembered that I have also been putting off the VII remake. Those are both worth a play I'm sure.

I've never played XII
Have you looked into Enderal? It's a standalone RPG built off of the Skyrim engine and free on Steam. Been wanting to play it, but I have the Special Edition and it's not compatible. I've been tempted to by the standard edition just to play this mod, but read a few weeks back that there is a group working to make an Enderal SE version so just waiting for that.

I have had it suggested to me on steam a few times. It sounds fun and has great reviews. However, I also don't have the standard edition on steam.

After Elex, I played Risen 3 and really liked it. It's the next most recent game they've released so it's probably the least dated. Similar mechanics but has a slightly better story than Elex imo.
I played Risen 3 a long time ago when it was relatively new. I don't think I made it more than a few hours in. I'm not sure what turned me off of it. I may have just had another game to play.

I'll probably give Ashen a go when I get my new PC set up next week.

Combat system got faster and faster swapping between moves and the slow-mo was satisfying, but that map
<{vega}>
The map was a little odd, but fast travel made it fine IMO. If I had to run through each area repeatedly, I probably would've hated it.

The stasis ability (can't remember what the spell was called) was completely broken. I was dropping mass paralysis on mobs all day. It felt so cheesey that I eventually respecced out of it.

Turns out the one I played and didn't care for was Risen. I started Risen 3 last night. Two hours in, I'm having a great time. Thanks for the suggestion.

I went with Risen 3 instead of Ashen because it's already in my Steam library and it's tough to beat free.

Turns out the one I played and didn't care for was Risen. I started Risen 3 last night. Two hours in, I'm having a great time. Thanks for the suggestion.

I went with Risen 3 instead of Ashen because it's already in my Steam library and it's tough to beat free.
Nice! Bones has to be one of my favourite companions ever. Great dialogue. And your player character as well. The two of them are hilarious together. The gameplay is like an early alpha version of Elex's but still good enough to enjoy.

Ashen has been on my Steam wishlist since it was released. I know it's 50% off right now but I'm waiting for a mega sale. Looks like it should be fun too.

Baldurs Gate 2 is set to be one of the best RPGs of all time. It’s in early access and you can only play the first chapter right now. It is ducking fantastic though.

It’s a more traditional rpg, but the combat allows for a lot of freedom and creativity. You can overcome enemies you thought you had no chance against using the environment. So much fun. The NPC interactions are great in that story. And for the first time, a game has made failing at dialogue/story roles so fun that I’m not tempted to save scum them

It's not for everyone, but Kingdom Come Deliverance with all the DLC I think is hugely underrated... Mostly because it was really broken when it came out, it still has shit loads of issues and bugs, but was outrageously ambitious.

Baldurs Gate 2 is set to be one of the best RPGs of all time. It’s in early access and you can only play the first chapter right now. It is ducking fantastic though.

It’s a more traditional rpg, but the combat allows for a lot of freedom and creativity. You can overcome enemies you thought you had no chance against using the environment. So much fun. The NPC interactions are great in that story. And for the first time, a game has made failing at dialogue/story roles so fun that I’m not tempted to save scum them
Baldur's Gate 3***

Yeah, I've been watching it anxiously for a long time. I've been a fan of Larian since Divinity 2 and Divinity OS 1&2 were great. I'm going to wait until full release, because I have a feeling I'm going to binge it and I don't want to have to stop in the middle of the story.

Edit: dude, I struggle so hard with trying to force myself to do an "authentic" playthrough without save scumming to see every single dialogue outcome. Between that and the Condit av, are you me? Lol

If you enjoy the combat and haven't played Original Sin 1&2, you definitely should. They're really good and have the same Larian combat system.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fullmetalharts
Back