• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

looking to buy my first hand gun...

lol my plan. I have a .357 revolver, so I can handle 38 special and .357 magnum rounds--very diverse piece. Next purchase is looking like a modular Sig that can switch between .40 S&W, 9mm parabellum or luger, and .357 auto.

After that will be a .45 acp or a .223 rifle.

Smith S&P .40 can swap out for a 9mill barrell, wasn't aware that SIG makes one like that as well

Either way, you got handguns pretty much covered with a .357 and a .40 that can swap in a 9 mill barrell

Also, is this a Declan Khan thread?

Smith S&P .40 can swap out for a 9mill barrell, wasn't aware that SIG makes one like that as well

Either way, you got handguns pretty much covered with a .357 and a .40 that can swap in a 9 mill barrell

Also, is this a Declan Khan thread?

yeah. anything beyond that will be because I'm a collector, not because I'm covering ammo gaps.

What is the gun going to be used for? Home protection, CCW, both??

Sigs are VERY good guns, but I would advise the follwing too...

Go to the gun store and just hold several guns until you find 3-5 that you like the way they feel in your hand. Then rent said guns at the range and determine which one of the group you shoot best. If it fells good in you hand AND you shoot it well, its the one.

I would advise going with a 9mm round. Recent technology has made a 9mm a pretty potent round. A +p 115 gr 9mm HP is a very good self defense round, and coupled with the fact that 9mm can hold more ammo in the mag then .40 or .45 makes it another selling point. Finally, 9mm is pretty cheap to shoot in FMJ compared to .45 or .40. Cheaper rounds mean more practice time.

All that being said, I have a Glock 19 and S&W M&P 9c. Love them both and shoot them both really well. I have owned dozens others, but these two stick with me the most. Good luck and happy gun hunting...

What is the gun going to be used for? Home protection, CCW, both??

Sigs are VERY good guns, but I would advise the follwing too...

Go to the gun store and just hold several guns until you find 3-5 that you like the way they feel in your hand. Then rent said guns at the range and determine which one of the group you shoot best. If it fells good in you hand AND you shoot it well, its the one.

I would advise going with a 9mm round. Recent technology has made a 9mm a pretty potent round. A +p 115 gr 9mm HP is a very good self defense round, and coupled with the fact that 9mm can hold more ammo in the mag then .40 or .45 makes it another selling point. Finally, 9mm is pretty cheap to shoot in FMJ compared to .45 or .40. Cheaper rounds mean more practice time.

All that being said, I have a Glock 19 and S&W M&P 9c. Love them both and shoot them both really well. I have owned dozens others, but these two stick with me the most. Good luck and happy gun hunting...

Had a Glock 19. Bought a 23 after 9/11 just to have, and couldn't afford the ammo. Traded it even money for the 19 after a year. Eventually sold the 19 in 2009 when I was going back to school. Simple, reliable, accurate weapon with tons of fun aftermarket gadgets.

Had a Glock 19. Bought a 23 after 9/11 just to have, and couldn't afford the ammo. Traded it even money for the 19 after a year. Eventually sold the 19 in 2009 when I was going back to school. Simple, reliable, accurate weapon with tons of fun aftermarket gadgets.

Agreed. I bought the Gen 4 G19 last year and LOVE it. HAve you shot any M&Ps? That is the best feeling gun I have ever put in my hand. I cant see myself parting with that gun. I shoot it too damn well...

Jory are you a vigilante?

I wish. The one time my house got broken into while I was home was 3 months after I sold my Glock, so I was hesitant to engage, and he got away.

I've beaten up a bunch of dogs though...

Huh so the rumors of you driving into poor neighborhoods and shooting criminals is false?

Get a Springfield XDM 3.8" in 9x19 parabellum. I like sigs, but XDMs are a step up, in my opinion, and costs less. Striker-fired, loaded chamber indicator, 20 fucking rounds... you can go to war with it and it'll eat any ammo you can feed it.

XDM_9mm_R.190182900.jpg

have done some research and have choosen the Sig Sauer P226 Navy .40 s&w. was wondering from u guys in the know, how does this gun rate.
i'm not buying for home defense, i just would like to own a few handguns if anything or everything goes down some day, i have owned shotguns and semi auto rifle's but never a hand gun.
good choice or would the HK P30S LS 40SW 4.45" or just for looks the Baby Desert Eagle II, .45ACP. i would prefer to own all the same caliber as too the ammo would work for all my guns,
thanx.

Im a big fan of Sig Sauer, but im not sold on 40SW. Most of what I have read says it doesnt have significantly more stopping power than a 9x19, especially with hollow points/defensive rounds. To me it just seems louder. And is much more expensive. If its a lot cheaper to shoot 9mm, then you are going to practice more, and youll be better of with the 9mm. Just my 2 cents.

If I wanted something bigger, Id just jump up to the 45acp. You get the increase in stopping power, and I think its easier to handle than 40sw (recoil seems to "push" rather than "snap" like it does for the 40). If you get a 1911, the recoil will be a lot more managable than 9mm or 40sw in a polymer pistol or something else lightweight. I would shoot the following, and then make a decision.

Springfield XD in 9mm
Smith and Wesson M&P in 9mm
Sig Sauer SP20200 in 9mm
Colt or Kimber 1911 in 45

TS, i agree that you need to handle the firearms before you decide on one.

Make a list of the firearms and pick the top 3. Read up on them and pick the one you want more.

I always throw out my obligatory Glock recommendation. The Gen 4 22 is an excellent weapon. It also had higher mag capacity than any of the other .40s mentioned, except the XDm.

Hk p30

I have one and had the trigger pull modded to 4.5 lbs with a short reset. Don't be deterred by the price. Glocks are okay. I've personally shot a glock 17, sig p226 enhanced elite, and my hk. I favor the hk, but the sig wasn't far behind. The trigger on the glock didn't feel anywhere near as good as the other two.

If money isn't an issue you'll love a Sig, but I recommend a 9mm. My favorite gun is an HK. It was pretty pricey too, but I'll never sell it or trade it. I also really like my wife's Glock 19. It's a good size and very easy to shoot.

Get a Springfield XDM 3.8" in 9x19 parabellum. I like sigs, but XDMs are a step up, in my opinion, and costs less. Striker-fired, loaded chamber indicator, 20 fucking rounds... you can go to war with it and it'll eat any ammo you can feed it.

I paid $440 new for my SP2022 with siglite nightsights and two 15 round magazines.

I've seen basic XDs for $450, but never the XDM for under $550.

My personal opinion isn't a very strong case, since I've never shot an XDM, and I haven't taken the SP2022 to the range yet either, but the grip on the XDM is ridiculously big for my hand. The Sig was a more natural fit.

I paid $440 new for my SP2022 with siglite nightsights and two 15 round magazines.

I've seen basic XDs for $450, but never the XDM for under $550.

My personal opinion isn't a very strong case, since I've never shot an XDM, and I haven't taken the SP2022 to the range yet either, but the grip on the XDM is ridiculously big for my hand. The Sig was a more natural fit.

I picked up an SP2022 a few months ago and no complaints. Shoots fantastically well for sub $500 handgun, very tight groups right off the bat. Eats any ammo Ive put through it so far.

I personally like the XD/XDM grip much better, but I have pretty big hands. The Sig Pro grip is too small for my hands, even with the Large sized backstrap on it. I wouldn

I picked up an SP2022 a few months ago and no complaints. Shoots fantastically well for sub $500 handgun, very tight groups right off the bat. Eats any ammo Ive put through it so far.

I personally like the XD/XDM grip much better, but I have pretty big hands. The Sig Pro grip is too small for my hands, even with the Large sized backstrap on it. I wouldn’t have bought it based on the grip, but the guy at the gun shop tossed a cheap hogue grip on it and it felt a million times better, and the price was right.

Nice yours came with 2 magazines, mine only came with one. Did you get the nice carrying case? Mine came in a cardboard box. I guess the newer ones come in a cardboard box and one less magazine.

Cardboard box. Paid an extra $40 for the spare mag. Was still cheaper than a Glock with many more features, which is my frame of reference for purchasing any handgun.

Last edited:
If I had a choice between hammer or striker, I'd go with striker, even though I've NEVER had any problems with hammer pistols. It just seems to me like an unnecessary complication

If I had a choice between hammer or striker, I'd go with striker, even though I've NEVER had any problems with hammer pistols. It just seems to me like an unnecessary complication

I like single action accuracy and the option of shooting single action on the first shot by manually ****ing the hammer, plus the added security of visually knowing that the gun is ready to fire.

I had a single action p99 soft air gun when I was 18 and I shot a friend in the eye because I didn't know the gun was hot (not an excuse--should have been more responsible with a dangerous toy).

Back