• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

"Loopholes" in your state gun laws

In Texas the waiting period is however long it takes the FFL to call the State and run your drivers license to make sure your not a felon. Thats it. I'm fine with that. It literally takes about 15 minutes depending on where you are. If your at a gunshow you may have to wait a bit longer because they are calling in so many.

And to be clear. I am not saying that any of what I brought up would be a deterrent. A criminal is going to find a way. I get that. But would at least having a way to find some of the avenues that make it so easy to get one be that bad. I am not saying to outlaw private sales. It is your proprty after all. But to put up some kind method track the change of ownership. That would give law enforcement some kind of tool to see where the firearms leaving the responsible gun community.

To be frank, it's none of the government's or anyone else's business. You have lost this arguement/debate. Katrina is what would happen. Mass confiscation.

If you're referring to guns in gangs hands, those guns are usually a) stolen or b) not legally procurred in the first place(meaning no one ever legally owned them).

Makes sense because all guns miracle themselves into existence. And no one owned them becasue no manufacuter has to keep track of them. Ohh wait gun control act of 1968 seems to come up somewhere.

To be frank, it's none of the government's or anyone else's business. You have lost this arguement/debate. Katrina is what would happen. Mass confiscation.

Hey I never expected to win the topic with you. 2nd amendment flag wavers to me are about as bad as any zealots out there are. To me they are right up there with the tree huggers that think we should all just go back to living in communes farming hemp and doing yoga all day. No one will ever get them to even consider the option they could possibly be wrong or that there could even be a glimmer of a compromise. Its always all or nothing thing. You are right because you said so.

I concede the point so you can tell yourself officially that you have won the internet battle of the day.

Not necessarily a gun law per se, more like a fish and wildlife law, I guess, but I was always amused by this...

In Texas at least, when hunting with a semi-automatic shotgun (meaning no pump or **** between shots, just repeated trigger pulls), you had to put a plug in that reduced the maximum number of shells in the magazine to 3. I assume this is because it would be unfair to be able to fire 5 shotgun blasts in 5 seconds, whereas 3 shots in 3 seconds is much more sporting.

I think they have something similar in WI.

I vaguely remember that from a hunter safety class 21 years ago. (don't hunt, so don't remember)

Makes sense because all guns miracle themselves into existence. And no one owned them becasue no manufacuter has to keep track of them. Ohh wait gun control act of 1968 seems to come up somewhere.

Whether you believe it or not, gangs are a multi-million dollar criminal enterprise. There are gun traffickers, just like there are drug traffickers. If they want to get guns without going through legal channels, it's not very hard when they have that kind of money. Hence, a lot of gangs have fully automatic weapons, civilians can't get those. And I never said the guns magically appear, I said they were never owned legally.

What's there to be wrong about? The 2nd Amendment is clearly spelled out. It's "Shall not be infringed" not "Shall make some compromises" or "Shall be at the whim of what the Feds think".

Hey I never expected to win the topic with you. 2nd amendment flag wavers to me are about as bad as any zealots out there are. To me they are right up there with the tree huggers that think we should all just go back to living in communes farming hemp and doing yoga all day. No one will ever get them to even consider the option they could possibly be wrong or that there could even be a glimmer of a compromise. Its always all or nothing thing. You are right because you said so.

I concede the point so you can tell yourself officially that you have won the internet battle of the day.

Exactly. That's why the issue of gangs in Mexico getting guns from the US is such BS. They are multi-billion dollar entities, they can buy container loads of AK's from China, Russia, etc. if they want to.

Whether you believe it or not, gangs are a multi-million dollar criminal enterprise. There are gun traffickers, just like there are drug traffickers. If they want to get guns without going through legal channels, it's not very hard when they have that kind of money. Hence, a lot of gangs have fully automatic weapons, civilians can't get those. And I never said the guns magically appear, I said they were never owned legally.

In Texas the waiting period is however long it takes the FFL to call the State and run your drivers license to make sure your not a felon. Thats it. I'm fine with that. It literally takes about 15 minutes depending on where you are. If your at a gunshow you may have to wait a bit longer because they are calling in so many.

Great for Texas. You are aware there are more States in the Union right? Unless I am wrong you are talking about this law the you want put inplace at the federal level correct? If so could you please re-read my question and answer it fully this time?

If you are only advocating for Texas law then please let me know.

FYI - It's really not a good idea to base the situation in your home town/state and then try to impose your ideas onto the entire nation with such disregard to those in other states who's laws varry from yours. Just because it wouldn't be a hassle for you doesn't mean it won't be for others. Disregarding their situation at the federal level is pretty much the epitome of being self-centered.

And to be clear. I am not saying that any of what I brought up would be a deterrent. A criminal is going to find a way. I get that. But would at least having a way to find some of the avenues that make it so easy to get one be that bad. I am not saying to outlaw private sales. It is your proprty after all. But to put up some kind method track the change of ownership. That would give law enforcement some kind of tool to see where the firearms leaving the responsible gun community.

I see what you are saying. Unfortunately the potential to use this information by the government in ways not intended has been brought to your attention and IIRC you pretty much dismissed the potential downside (please correct me if I'm worng on that).

There was an article about it in the latest issue of Book of the AR. There may be something else that makes it legal, but it was about the latest from Spike's Tactical.

Thanks. I'll look it up.

Exactly. That's why the issue of gangs in Mexico getting guns from the US is such BS. They are multi-billion dollar entities, they can buy container loads of AK's from China, Russia, etc. if they want to.

Not to contradict you, but look up Operation Fast & Furious. Mexican cartels did get US weapons, however, Obama ordered the ATF, who in turn ordered the Texas dealers to do so. WikiLeaks released something on it, Obama did this to gain fuel for his gun ban fire.

Oh yeah, I'm very familiar with it, I live in AZ. In the scheme of things the number of guns was a small blip on the radar. The big cartels can get any guns they want, they don't need to buy them piecemeal from guys smuggling them across the border.

Not to contradict you, but look up Operation Fast & Furious. Mexican cartels did get US weapons, however, Obama ordered the ATF, who in turn ordered the Texas dealers to do so. WikiLeaks released something on it, Obama did this to gain fuel for his gun ban fire.

On this issue of using >10 round mags in rifles in California:

-The mags have to be pre-ban.
-The rifle cannot be what California law classifies as an "assault weapon"
-If a rifle is classified as an assault weapon, it requires a bullet button. Since assault weapons cannot use regular capacity mags, it would be illegal for basically all rifles requiring a bullet button to use a >10 round capacity magazine, no matter if the mag is pre-ban or not.

Basically the state of California has a list of evil features that make your weapon an assault weapon: forward vertical grip, pistol grip, flash hider, other random stuff. If your rifle has any of these and is semi-auto it needs a bullet button. If it has none of these features it does not need a bullet button and can be used with pre-ban magazines >10 rounds.

A couple examples:
-A regular AR-15 has a pistol grip, so it would need a bullet button and it would be illegal to insert a magazine >10 rounds into.
-A stock Mini-14 or Keltec SU-16 (both if which have rifle stocks instead of pistol grips) do not need a bullet button, and can be used with regular capacity mags.
-An AR-15 equipped with some kind of special grip that is not a pistol grip to abide by California's laws does NOT need a bullet button, and can be used with >10 round mags. I can think of 3 different types of these off the top of my head made by and for California residents.
-A Mini-14, SU-16, or AR that has been equipped with any evil feature would need a bullet button. Let's say you swap out your muzzle break for a flash hider, suddenly you have an illegal assault weapon, unless you bullet button it.

For more info check calguns.net or google "California rifle flow chart"

Last edited:
Since it might seem a little unclear in the above post, legally ANY >10 round mag in Cali has to be a pre-ban mag, repaired or rebuilt from a 10 round mag, or just not purchased or manufactured by you.

If you randomly found some >10 round mags on the street one day it would be legal to use them in a non assault weapon.

^Can't find the article that explained what made it CA legal, but in the latest Book of the AR 15 magazine they reviewed the Spike's Tactical Vanguard and mentioned that it was, but had 30 round mags. It had a bullet button, however I don't think that was the only thing.

Edit- can't find the article online.

Back