Television MADtv, SNL, Kids in the Hall, SCTV, Chappelle's Show or In Living Color - Which is the best sketch comedy show?

Which is the best sketch comedy show?

• Total voters
People debating the quality of talent, influence etc between SNL and ILC are ridiculous.

SNL has ran for almost 50 years, ILC had a 4 year run in the early 90's.

There is absolutely no comparison in terms of quality produced or made famous by the show(s).
SNL being in last place in this poll is just absurd. You could compile all the best sketches MADtv ever did and it wouldn’t hold a candle to SNL’s first season.

Edit: 2nd-to-last place I guess, since no one has voted for the brilliant SCTV

1.) SNL
2.) In Living Color
3.) The State

Upright Citizens Brigade. The ass penny sketch is on of the funniest things I have seen in a sketch show.

Fratelli di Crozza

Is where came from this

It may been at a low point, presently, and because it's history is so long, there are a ton of dud skits, but c'mon, this is silly. There's a reason that the compiled runs of every other show on this poll is shorter than SNL's by itself.

SNL = 49 seasons

vs.

MadTV --> 15 seasons
In Living Color --> 5 seasons
Kids in the Hall--> 5 seasons
SCTV --> 3 seasons
= 28 seasons

Of those listed

1. In Living Color
2. Mad TV
3. SNL

4. Kids in the Hall - Never found this remotely funny.

Can't comment on SCTV it was on before my time. I'd put Chappelle Show above them all though.

It may been at a low point, presently, and because it's history is so long, there are a ton of dud skits, but c'mon, this is silly. There's a reason that the compiled runs of every other show on this poll is shorter than SNL's by itself.

SNL = 49 seasons

vs.

MadTV --> 15 seasons
SCTV --> 3 seasons
= 28 seasons

Quality > quantity

SNL = 49 seasons

vs.

MadTV --> 15 seasons
SCTV --> 3 seasons
= 28 seasons
Using that great logic, General Hospital is a god-tier show.

Using that great logic, General Hospital is a god-tier show.
Among daytime soap operas, perhaps it is. But longevity has never been associated with greatness or cultural relevance in daytime soaps. With every other genre of television it is.
Quality > quantity
Yet there is more great quality in SNL than in these other shows: by miles. We could do a skit-off thread where this becomes obvious.

SNL has produced hall of fame skits for decade after decade. It's not exactly a case like The Simpsons where a once-great show has been in the dregs so long that hardly anyone can even remember when it was great. Yet, once again, longevity conveys a golden legacy. The baker's dozen of great or near-great seasons The Simpsons recorded is more than nearly any other show that has ever existed: animated or otherwise. Only South Park really trumps it, and, surprise surprise, South Park is another one of the longest running shows in history.

Just look at how quickly Rick & Morty fell off. It had four of the greatest seasons any animated show ever has. But it ran out of ammo fast. It doesn't stand a chance in a war against South Park.

SNL being in last place in this poll is just absurd. You could compile all the best sketches MADtv ever did and it wouldn’t hold a candle to SNL’s first season.

Edit: 2nd-to-last place I guess, since no one has voted for the brilliant SCTV
Must be a youth thing. Quite a few of the SNL players came from SCTV.

SNL
IN LIVING COLOR
MADTV
KIDS IN THE HALL

First three have 10/10 sketches I just find SNL has more of them.

SCTV

I never really found MadTV all that funny. Poll needs Kids In the Hall imo.

1. SNL
  2. Kids in the Hall
  3. In Living Color
  4. SCTV
  5. MadTV

I second this list but I grew up on SNL. Got into KitH in a big way (absolutely loved the original run). The rest were filler but amusing enough.

<GinJuice>

I second this list but I grew up on SNL. Got into KitH in a big way (absolutely loved the original run). The rest were filler but amusing enough.

<GinJuice>
Agree. I think the Kids In the Hall movie, Brain Candy, is super underrated. My friends and I still quote that movie all the time.

MTV+pub.1.jpg

Often forgotten about, The State.

Back