Marijuana legalisation causing violent crime to fall in US states, study finds

Well you ruined your goodwill with a really stupid blanket statement here:

I get overall what you'e saying to a point, but meh. Having adults lie to kids about any drugs, especially ones less harmful than alcohol, just doesn't work.

I smoked a lot of pot because I liked it, whereas you'd have to have a gun pointed at my head for me to drink alcohol. Everyone is different.

There will always be shitty and lazy teenagers. Damn kids, amirite?

Teenagers that smoke early become shitty and lazy adults eventually lol.

First of all, thanks for what you do to help young people. I have to ask though, who are these kids that you work with?
The potential harm is greater for certain groups. Especially those already dealing with other issues.

Conversely though, there are lots of people that have used it since a young age and have been extremely successful. One of the problems with the past prohibition is it forced people to hide their usage. You'd likely be shocked by some of the people I've shared it with. School teachers, Principals, doctors, my brother in law who is an attorney. As I near 50, I can say that most of the true pot heads I knew in HS are still doing just fine. When I say pot head, I mean people that didn't like harder drugs and preferred weed over alcohol. Most of the guys that liked the harder stuff are gone, or are born again christians. Not sure which is worse. I lost a lot of the drinkers to drunk driving accidents. There is a bunch of them that drink so much now that their health suffers and they are fat af. I have my 30 year HS reunion this year. I'm going to have to take a census!

Ya I work with dysfunctional and functional families dealing with their children smoking pot at a young age. In most cases their is not many positive outcomes. I'm in the trenches so I'm just letting you guys know what I observe day in and day out.

So this means the Prison Industrial Complex is losing money?

We can't have that ! Jeff Sessions will see to it !

Marijuana legalisation causing violent crime to fall in US states, study finds
Rates of assault and murder decreasing in regions near Mexican border where cannabis use has been partially legalised

cannabis-indoor-farm.jpg

In US states where marijuana can now be grown legally, the demand for illegal cannabis is falling Getty Images
The legalisation of marijuana for medical purposes has led to a significant reduction in violent crime in several US states bordering Mexico, according to new research.

The study, published in The Economic Journal, found that the rate of violent crime – including robberies, murders and aggravated assaults – fell by 12.5 per cent in counties close to the border after the introduction of medical marijuana laws (MMLs).

“MMLs allow people to grow and cultivate marijuana plants legally within the US,” Professor Evelina Gavrilova, one of the study’s authors, told The Independent.

This means that people don’t need to buy illegal marijuana anymore so drug trafficking organisations (DTOs) have far fewer customers.”

DTOs have long been a major contributor to violent crime in US border states.

“Their namesake activity – the smuggling of illicit drugs – is known to be paired with extreme levels of violence, which DTOs use to contest the revenues in the drug market,” according to the study.

With these organisations now less active in the border regions due to falling demand, instances of violence have also fallen. “As revenues decrease, so does the incentive to invest in violent activity,” the paper says.

Robberies have decreased by 19 per cent in US border states which have adopted MMLs, murders by 10 per cent and assaults by nine per cent.

The biggest impact is on drug-law related murders, which have fallen by nearly 41 per cent. Countries closest to the border have seen the most significant reduction.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...op-numbers-study-california-new-a8160311.html

I am shocked I tell you, shocked!

Who would have thought that crime is linked to prohibition?

I guess anyone who ever studied alcohol prohibition, but who else?

Discuss........

Maybe my biggest disappointment in Obama & Trump. I both thought they'd be on board the reefer train

Now decriminalize all drugs

Cannibus saved my grandfather during his chemo stint. 100% saved him

You can die for your country at 18 years old but not drink or smoke? Seems fishy to me.

It's anecdotal but in my personal experience, I did a lot of dumb things at 18. It makes sense to have alcohol illegal for me at that age.

I was physically hardy at 18 though. You could have given me 2 hours of sleep a night, made me exercise every day, and chucked rocks at me and I would have been ready to fight. Drinking wise, I could have downed an amount of vodka that would make me feel like garbage for a week now and been good to go the next day. My body could take endless abuse. That's excellent for a soldier.

That's just me personally. Perhaps others were physically sturdier at 40 + years old and more responsible at 18. I don't think that's a general trend though.

From personal experience, I think our laws make sense on this.

Last edited:
18 years old has a low potential for injury + disease and high physical fitness ability. Great attributes for physical jobs like being a soldier.

18 years old has a low ability to be responsible (drunk driving, etc) with alcohol and drugs.

Soldiering and drugs are 2 different things.

Our laws make sense on this.

Yeah, kids arent responsible enough to smoke at that age, so let them have a gun and kill people instead.

18 years old has a low potential for injury + disease and high physical fitness ability. Great attributes for physical jobs like being a soldier.

18 years old has a low ability to be responsible (drunk driving, etc) with alcohol and drugs.

The statistics show that ~28+ year olds have higher injury rates, more diseases, etc. The statistics also show that 18 year olds drink and drive more.

Our laws make sense on this.
If they have "low ability to be responsible", then how is it safer to have them in the military than smokin weed?

not shit violent crime went down. you think i am gonna want to beat my wife after smoking a bunch of weed? probably not. probably just want some funyuns and to stare at my hands.

If they have "low ability to be responsible", then how is it safer to have them in the military than smokin weed?
There's no such thing as an age with maximum responsibility potential and maximum physical potential. They exist in opposite phases of life. One trends downward with time and the other trends upward with time. Physical ability belongs to the young and responsibility belongs to the old.

If you know where to find these magical people, though, the military would love to have them. Humans aren't perfect though and they just don't exist.

Optimizing these things with imperfect humans is just a balancing act. That means 18 year old soldiers and a 21 year old drinking age.

Everyone knows this. I feel like people pointing out the drinking age/ military age thing are just trying to make cheap, nonsensical gotcha! points.

There's no such thing as an age with maximum responsibility potential and maximum physical potential. They exist in opposite phases of life. One trends downward with time and the other trends upward with time. Physical ability belongs to the young and responsibility belongs to the old.

If you know where to find these magical people, though, the military would love to have them. Humans aren't perfect though and they just don't exist.

Optimizing these things with imperfect humans is just a balancing act. That means 18 year old soldiers and a 21 year old drinking age.

Everyone knows this. I feel like people pointing out the drinking age/ military age thing are just trying to make cheap, nonsensical gotcha! points.

You were specifically talking about responsibility. If an 18 year old is responsible enough to join the armed forces and get into firefights , then he/she is responsible enough to drink alcohol back home.

Leave the physical ability out of this, it is about psychological ability to be responsible.

Drinking age in Britain is 18. Is anyone going to argue that British 18 year olds are vastly different to American 18 year olds.

You were specifically talking about responsibility. If an 18 year old is responsible enough to join the armed forces and get into firefights , then he/she is responsible enough to drink alcohol back home.

Leave the physical ability out of this, it is about psychological ability to be responsible.

Drinking age in Britain is 18. Is anyone going to argue that British 18 year olds are vastly different to American 18 year olds.
I disagree with many things you said here.

"Leave the physical ability out of this, it is about psychological ability to be responsible."

Personally, my opinion is that being a soldier requires both physical ability and mental responsibility. So, determining an age range for military service requires taking both of these into account.

However, the drinking age does not require taking physical ability into account. That's why it makes sense to have an older minimum drinking age than the minimum military service age. That is also why it's OK to allow 60 year olds to drink but it's not OK to allow 60 year olds to join the military.

Out of curiosity, why do you feel it's necessary to leave physical ability out of the consideration for military service?

"Drinking age in Britain is 18. Is anyone going to argue that British 18 year olds are vastly different to American 18 year olds"

Many things differentiate British and American 18 year olds. We do drive a lot more in America, including our 18 year olds. That is one huge difference between American and British 18 year olds. I'm sure there are others too. If drinking is going to be legal, that's one reason why I support having a 21 year old (or older) drinking age.

One thing I've noticed is that binge drinking is very common in British society. The UK's overall rate of binge drinking is nearly double the USA's. The UK also reports nearly a 30% rate -- 3 times America's -- of high school aged students binge drinking 3 times or more in the past month. I would posit that has a lot to do with Britain's drinking culture and establishments revolving around both including and serving 18-21 year olds.

Browsing through the statistics, it looks like the UK has a major problem with alcoholism. Perhaps, Britain should also raise its drinking age to 21.

Last edited:
No need to be paranoid and reclusive if you’re not potentially looking at jail time for smoking a j. As for being a goal-oriented go-getter... way overrated. I quit smoking 20 years ago, and having a senior job and lots of responsibilities sure hasn’t made me happier than smoking weed and surfing.

Ya I work with dysfunctional and functional families dealing with their children smoking pot at a young age. In most cases their is not many positive outcomes. I'm in the trenches so I'm just letting you guys know what I observe day in and day out.
I work with a bunch of millionaires who all smoke pot daily and have done so since they were teenagers. You're not in any trench, and if you're blaming family dysfunction on kids smoking weed then I already know you are terrible at your job.

I Love working in the medical cannabis field. My stocks are rising too which is great.

not shit violent crime went down. you think i am gonna want to beat my wife after smoking a bunch of weed? probably not. probably just want some funyuns and to stare at my hands.

I always tell my wife this. If much rather my teen daughter be in a room of stoners rather than a buch of wasted dudes

I work with a bunch of millionaires who all smoke pot daily and have done so since they were teenagers. You're not in any trench, and if you're blaming family dysfunction on kids smoking weed then I already know you are terrible at your job.

Relax. It's a different opinion.

Back