News Marvin Hagler has passed away

I don't think it haunted him that much. If it did, he would have taken the rematch.
In 1988 or 1989 him and Leonard happened to be at the same restaurant. Leonard sent someone over to Hagler to ask if he's interested in a rematch, and Hagler responded "Tell Ray to get a life".
I wonder if Ray getting the nod was a blessing in disguise for Marvin.

Marvin walked away healthy and with money.

Ray kept going and was hurt and embarrassed by Norris and Camacho.

It's hard to judge the best southpaws of all time. After all, how many didn't get a shot at the title? How many were forced to fight orthodox?

As Frazier told Hagler "You have three strikes against you: you're black, southpaw, and good."

Not literal "of all time", thats just talk.
I mean like the past 50 years or so.

They don’t make them like that anymore. Rest In Peace haggler

really ruined my day. I did write on his facebook, more than once, that i was glad that he was healthy and living a good life unlike so many of my favorite fighters. He also seems to be in the minority of fighters who didn't have money issues and I don't think we'll see anyone starting a go fund me for funeral expenses(hector camacho had nothing on hand for any kind of burial-in contrast) as nice as he was, he was justifiably tight with his money, kind of like a guy he had a lot in common with; Rocky Marciano.

Just did not expect this at all, Marvelous just seemed every bit as indomitable and invincible as he was in the ring, but as he once said when asked if he was invincible, "no one is invincible". I just always saw a guy like him, uptight, high strung, super disciplined in all ways, just didn't see him having health issues so soon. Here's a guy who was so disciplined that once he walked away from boxing, he never put on a pair of gloves again, (I know, he told me so on FB) . He was always a believer in going forward, always moving on to other things and encouraging us, his fans to do the same. They say the Leonard loss haunted him, and I'm sure it did but he rarely let the bitterness make itself obvious. Over the long haul, he has become the favorite of that era over Leonard by the fans so it balanced out.

I can tell you that he was very sour about that Leonard decision. Hagler is my all time favorite and I actually got to meet him at the IBHOF in 2013. Got pictures with him and everything. Totally forgot to tell him I thought he beat Leonard and was kicking myself after he left. Two weeks later, I literally bumped into him coming out of a Tedeschi's in Boston. My dude had a black track suit on and white sneakers. He was by himself and I didn't waste the opportunity to tell him I had just met him two weeks before and that I wanted to tell him I thought he beat Ray. Hagler was in his humble mode until I said that. His face lit up and he said "Oh yeah I did and he knows it too. I think he'll admit it one day too." I asked if he really thought Ray would do that and he just tapped his head and said, "Oh yeah, you can't live with something like that. He knows he lost."

This one hurts. Reading about Hagler's legendary training, he was one of my focal points while I was training for the Boston Marathon last year. I'll never be anywhere near Hagler's greatness or athletic ability, but people always elevate the greats and use them as inspiration. Hagler was my inspiration for a lot of things. Everything he faced was just fuel to him. He didn't even get to enjoy winning his title after smoking Minter. Can you imagine him fighting while the whole crowd is chanting the N-word? They should have forced everybody in that stadium to line up to take a beating from Hagler one by one.

I came in here to pay my respects to Marvin Hagler. He was more than just a fighter, but a testament to how we grow as men as we tread the path of perdition in a virtuous manner. They don't make many men like that no more.

Crushing news - I always admired his hardworking, no bullshit demeanor. Just an incredible fighter. It's really quite shocking. I always had hopes that I would be able to meet him at some type of sporting convention - if only to say I was in the presence of the Marvelous One!

RIP Champ! You were one of the greatest!

Can you imagine him fighting while the whole crowd is chanting the N-word?
jesus fucking christ, i had no idea this happened.

but like you said, i think hagler used shit like that as fuel. that man was indomitable, in every sense of the word. a true inspiration both athletically and mentally. i have no idea about his personal views, but i can admire the sheer power of will.

What is comforting about Hagler is that he had a lot to be bitter about (the wait before a title shot and getting screwed by promoters, the Antuofermo decision, nazis spoiling the Minter win, the lack of recognition as a champion, Leonard toying with him for years then the controversial loss) yet he got so much love and respect from the fans in retrospect that he looked pretty happy as a 60 something icon and role model.

Last edited:
jesus fucking christ, i had no idea this happened.

but like you said, i think hagler used shit like that as fuel. that man was indomitable, in every sense of the word. a true inspiration both athletically and mentally. i have no idea about his personal views, but i can admire the sheer power of will.

Yeah, you can see it on Youtube. He had like 50 pro fights before winning the title against Minter and he deserved to celebrate. That crowd was disgusting.

I wonder if Ray getting the nod was a blessing in disguise for Marvin.

Marvin walked away healthy and with money.

Ray kept going and was hurt and embarrassed by Norris and Camacho.

Hagler was visibly slower in the Mugabi fight and I think that fight took the last bit of his prime. If he got the nod against Ray Leonard, he would have kept fighting and into the time Toney, McCallum, McClellan, Norris, etc. started dominating. I'm sure he would have rematched Hearns as well.

Hagler's son says he was having trouble breathing and was taken to the Hospital, 4 hours later the family was notified of his death.
https://www.tmz.com/2021/03/13/former-middleweight-champion-marvelous-marvin-hagler-dead-dies/
Seriously breathing problems suck. I know this as a guy who has been hospitalized for asthma. And I had to watch my Dad struggle with it in his final days. Hopefully Hagler was able to die peacefully and with dignity.

What a warrior and what a champion. That'd be great if Sherdog gave him a front page article. Given that they do cover boxing, I think it would be fitting. And this is a mixed martial arts website. And Marvin Hagler was in many ways, with his determination, skill and spartan lifestyle, the ultimate martial artist.

If there were a Mount Rushmore of boxers, I've got to imagine Hagler is a part of it.

Back