Mexico’s Record Violence Is a Crisis 20 Years in the Making

Solid institutions so that crime prosecution stops being in the hands of people who used crime itself to get where they are in the first place.

Do you think it would help to empower the local militias that have formed?

I see these stories of really brave people standing up, with no resources, and I wonder if their isn't opportunity there, for some kind of decentralized systems.

On the flip side I have seen stories of when vigilante justice goes wrong, so their is risk there as well.

Thoughts?

Do you think it would help to empower the local militias that have formed?

I see these stories of really brave people standing up, with no resources, and I wonder if their isn't opportunity there, for some kind of decentralized systems.

On the flip side I have seen stories of when vigilante justice goes wrong, so their is risk there as well.

Thoughts?

Certainly something can be done there, but very little things can be done without accountability for politicians who engage in those business.

Certainly something can be done there, but very little things can be done without accountability for politicians who engage in those business.

I question if reform is possible without revolution (peaceful, poitical), as I do for here in the US.

I question if reform is possible without revolution (peaceful, poitical), as I do for here in the US.

Reform is going to happen.

The political class just cant hide anymore the level of corruption involved, and considering the business community is in favor of institutional reforms, i think they are eventually going to happen.

Whether that will lead to a plutocracy like in America, i dont really know.

Reform is going to happen.

The political class just cant hide anymore the level of corruption involved, and considering the business community is in favor of institutional reforms, i think they are eventually going to happen.

Whether that will lead to a plutocracy like in America, i dont really know.

What specific reforms need to happen?

Great read.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/28/world/americas/mexico-violence.html

Solutions:

Short term.

1.- Do something about the opiod crisis and the drug war in general, while most of Mexico is quite violent, the poppy growing regions are on another level, when i read news about Guerrero, i may as well be reading news from Syria,

2.- America could easily force a top-down institutional solidity upon Mexico by threatening on the back channel with compliance with institutional reforms.

Otherwise im giving Mexico around 10-15 years until shit settles down.

Good read if somewhat sad. I actually didn't know that Mexico had such a big poppy growing industry.

I've always naively thought of the drug trade from the south as pot and cocaine.

Not sure I understood point 2.
If I did, there's no way America slows it down. It's way too profitable to the CIA (I'm sure I'll get called a conspiracy theorist again).

The country still needs businesses, tourism and citizens to function. The government has to weigh cartel money against taxes and legitimate business and throw the army at the loser if they can't reign them in a bit.

Both can be sustainable, but legitimate business and taxes win from a numbers standpoint.

Some reforms already are there, but the current party is trying to subvert them.

For example a true independent attorney general and the equivalent of the FBI.

Spending controls when it comes to things like the media, the capacity of the grand federal audit to prosecute crimes, etc etc.

Solid institutions so that crime prosecution stops being in the hands of people who used crime itself to get where they are in the first place.

It seems to me (unfortunately in my little experience in Mexico) that the Federal police and military are the only hope- state cops and courts seem hopelessly corrupt. This may require structural changes beyond "build solid institutions", which is easier said than done.

Reform will not happen anytime soon if at all.

Mexico has a culture of corruption at all levels socially and politically.

It's so engrained in their ways.

Mexico will continue down the shitter.

Dutertard wouldnt even know where to begin, if anything we need.

ImagenDiazOrdaz.jpg

<3

It seems to me (unfortunately in my little experience in Mexico) that the Federal police and military are the only hope- state cops and courts seem hopelessly corrupt. This may require structural changes beyond "build solid institutions", which is easier said than done.

Structural changes are already there, they are all frozen due to democratic considerations.

There is virtually no federal oversight of governors because these governors use embelezzed money to fund presidential campaigns.

Hopefully that will change with an independent general attorney.

Back