Michael Page Doesn’t Expect UFC 299 Foe Kevin Holland to Engage in Striking Battle

Brother is there any fighter you Don’t have a pic with yet?
or any still on the wish list?
Sherdog Chads >>> UG Virgins

20230317-184929.jpg

MVP's opponents all really don't want to strike with him, so he knows what's coming. He doesn't have the best TDD, but its sort of decent.

It's not that I  want MVP to be a bust, but if he turns out to be one soon enough, then we may get to see him vs Wonderboy before he retires, and I find that fun
We know he can kick ass.

But we also know he could easily get grapplefucked ala Guida v Pettis.

What can I say - I look forward to finding out ;)

no USADA, I hope MVP becomes a name. people have slept on him, he deserves some spotlight. lots of fun matchups to make with him. WAR MVP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Page is a nothingburger in the UFC

I agree, actually. Small sample size, but IMO Holland doesn't generally look good against this style of fighter. Even outside of the Wonderboy fight where you can make excuses if you're so inclined (broken hand, gentleman's agreement, blah blah), the one I can never forget is Charlie Ontiveros. Charlie was a Lightweight going up multiple weight classes who did not belong on the UFC roster. He was a can-crusher with a history of getting killed on the regional scene in highlight reel fashion; essentially the Harry Hunsucker of the lower weight classes... but he had a background in traditional martial arts, fought in a bouncing, bladed stance, and threw a lot of crazy unorthodox strikes. Holland tried to walk him down and knock him out, only to get countered with a spinning backfist that dropped him (or at least stung him and knocked him off-balance). Kevin gets up and tries to enter the pocket again, then has an axe kick whip across his forehead -- but luckily it seemed to glance a bit. Kevin immediately says "Fuck this noise, I'm done striking" and instead went for a body-lock and slammed Ontiveros for the mat right after.

I hate playing armchair psychologist, but Holland wrestling offensively is oftentimes a tell -- it means he's uncomfortable with what he's being presented with. Like when he fought John Phillips, the one-dimensional Welsh knockout artist, he tasted the dude's power and immediately started shooting on him and hunting submissions. He actually apologized to him during the fight for grappling with him. Same thing late in the Wonderboy fight after he got hurt. Or when Brunson was dominating him and he felt the need to try and save face by ruining his 100% TDD stat.

I've never had many good things to say about MVP given the level of competition he faced for many of his bouts at Bellator... but I do genuinely think he's talented at what he does. If age hasn't robbed him of too much of that, I think he has the ability to outstrike Kevin. Holland might be able to land something crazy in the pocket or like Lima did, but I do favor MVP in the striking exchanges overall. As for whether Holland introducing the grappling threat will turn the tables? I dunno. He's come a long way in that department and I haven't seen enough tape of MVP's defensive grappling to be certain.

I like Kevin Holland, but I just dont see him winning this. I mean, he lost to Wonderboy who has basically the same style. Wonderboys tdd might be a bit better though. I think MVP keeps at range like he does. A few clinches that ends with Holland getting elbowed. MVP catches him a few times. Holland succumbs to damage and gets clipped with a good one for the tko. I think this will be a good fight but the other side of the coin is Holland spams takedowns and holds MVP down. Leading to a boring fight. But I just dont see it. Even if he gets hims down, I dont think he holds him there for long. I also dont see Holland out striking MVP. Not to say he wont land some shots. I just think the better shots will come from MVP.
Its going to be weird seeing MVP in the UFC. But it should be exciting.

Back