Michael Page Doesn’t Expect UFC 299 Foe Kevin Holland to Engage in Striking Battle

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
20150720063100_1DX_3171.JPG

Michael Page believes Kevin Holland’s “striking only” experience with Stephen Thompson will prevent him from repeating the same in their upcoming clash.

The former Bellator striking ace is slated to make his Ultimate Fighting Championship debut against Holland at UFC 299 on March 9 at the Kaseya Center in Miami.

Holland had previously agreed to keep the fight standing against Thompson, another elite striker, at UFC on ESPN 42 in December 2022. “Trailblazer” was outclassed on the feet and suffered a fourth-round corner stoppage loss resulting from a hand injury. Page, who sees himself as a better version of “Wonderboy” in many aspects, wouldn’t mind a similar deal with Holland but is quite confident that his opponent won't be up for it.

“I know for a fact Kevin Holland is not going to want to do that agreement again after the whooping that he took against Stephen ‘Wonderboy’ Thompson,” Page recently told MMAjunkie.com. “I see myself as the faster, harder-hitting, more dangerous version of ‘Wonderboy’ Thompson. He’s definitely not going to want to do that again. I’m happy to take that deal. If he wants to shake my hand and do that, we can do that. But I don’t believe he’s going to want to. He’s going to want to utilize as much as possible to deal with me.”

I don't think he has much option to not strike here even if he wanted to wrestle.
Holland isn't as physical as Lima was to force this fight to the ground and MVP TDD hasn't disappeared due to age like Wonderboy, he held his own against Storley despite losing.

I do think Holland can keep this competitive on the feet as he showed slick defence against JDM but MVP should have the tools to not be grappled by a striker at this point in his career.

I don't think he has much option to not strike here even if he wanted to wrestle.
Holland isn't as physical as Lima was to force this fight to the ground and MVP TDD hasn't disappeared due to age like Wonderboy, he held his own against Storley despite losing.

I do think Holland can keep this competitive on the feet as he showed slick defence against JDM but MVP should have the tools to not be grappled by a striker at this point in his career.

What TDD? Even Paul Daley took him down.

I can see Kevin Holland taking this one down for sure.

He's done so against Wonderboy and even that Ontiveros guy, who wasn't very good but had a reputation as a striker.

But everyone in the UFC is probably coming in gameplanned up. It's not an issue. MVP needs to prove he's good enough to deal with it, like every other striker.

I could see MVP getting knocked out by Holland. Holland is considerably bigger than most of the warm bodies MVP faced in Bellator.
Kevin has a chin and has power.
MVP has terrible defensive habits that can be exploited.

If Holland follows a swarm/pressure dogfight gameplan I could see him getting the KO in a scramble, maybe in the clinch or off the break.

If he is dumb and ego first, then he could lose, likely a decision.

People love to say that MVP only beats cans, but he avenged the bad loss to Lima. And Storley has only lost to Amasov in his 17 fights, beat the rest.
I think he's UFC level and honestly I think he's gonna win here. By being the smarter fighter.

It's not that I  want MVP to be a bust, but if he turns out to be one soon enough, then we may get to see him vs Wonderboy before he retires, and I find that fun
Wonderboy doesn't exist anymore. Wondergrampa fights only each December, like a fighting Santa, and I don't even want to see how shittier he'll look next Chistmas.

It's crazy to think about it, but these days MPV>>Wondergrampa. Go figure.

Back