• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

International Milei's Neoliberal "Shock Therapy" is Devastating Argentina

I'm acutely aware of his idiosyncratic tendencies, but the man has two master degrees in economics. To say that he is ineligible for this type of job would be ridiculous.

There are plenty of lunatics who are qualified for impressive positions on paper. The fact that one of this guy's first practices was to consolidate police and Military under one "Ministry of Defense" that answers to him should set off plenty of alarm bells.

"it will be different this time!!"
Except it has worked on literally every country of Latin America except Cuba, Venezuela and Argentina.

Hey, at least you ghouls didn't have to
Neoliberal dream of not having to deal with chronic high inflation? That's quite a reality for most countries in the world.

do a coup and install a fascist dictator to make your neoliberal wet dreams happen this time! That's an improvement I'd say!
This is rich considering that until Macri not a single democratically elected president not of PJ ever finished its term.

Milei was elected on a "fix inflation" platform and that's what he is doing, the country was broken by the time he got into power and will most likely end up being a one term president.

Its funny how the left loves to bitch about the ghost of Latin American fascism considering how authoritarian the left is in Latin America.

Except it has worked on literally every country of Latin America except Cuba, Venezuela and Argentina.

Neoliberal dream of not having to deal with chronic high inflation? That's quite a reality for most countries in the world.

This is rich considering that until Macri not a single democratically elected president not of PJ ever finished its term.

Milei was elected on a "fix inflation" platform and that's what he is doing, the country was broken by the time he got into power and will most likely end up being a one term president.

Its funny how the left loves to bitch about the ghost of Latin American fascism considering how authoritarian the left is in Latin America.
Ah, I stand thoroughly corrected.

There are plenty of lunatics who are qualified for impressive positions on paper. The fact that one of this guy's first practices was to consolidate police and Military under one "Ministry of Defense" that answers to him should set off plenty of alarm bells.
Because Peronism in Argentina has a long story of couping non-peronist presidents the moment they reach power.

I can safely say that in 2027 there will be free elections in Argentina, can you say the same for Cuba, Venezuela, Nicaragua? Bolivia is almost there too, the only thing stopping it is the mini-civil war between Morales and Arce.

Because Peronism in Argentina has a long story of couping non-peronist presidents the moment they reach power.

I can safely say that in 2027 there will be free elections in Argentina, can you say the same for Cuba, Venezuela, Nicaragua? Bolivia is almost there too, the only thing stopping it is the mini-civil war between Morales and Arce.

You cannot safely say anything. You can assume that, but this guy is also passing anti-protest laws to make cracking down on street level protests with heavy-hands standard procedure. I don't give a sh*t about Peronists, but it's always funny how the first thing self-proclaimed Libertarians do is embellish the power of State-sanctioned violence.

I'll be watching this with interest. This is going to be an interesting test case on austerity.

We never get to see anyone go whole hog because the front end pain is usually enough to make governments pull up short.
I thought Greece was the prime example of the failures of austerity measures. But according to @Rod1 other South American nations have been able to implement it to good effect so this would hardly be a test case--I was not previously aware of that.

Rod, do you have a source or two for that claim, just for completeness?

You cannot safely say anything.
Im willing to be my Sherdog account on that one. Would you be able to bet your account on the other ones?

You can assume that, but this guy is also passing anti-protest laws to make cracking down on street level protests with heavy-hands standard procedure.
Again, you don't have any idea how Peronism works, its literally a movement founded by a Fascist guy, they literally have professional protesters as shock groups.

I don't give a sh*t about Peronists, but it's always funny how the first thing self-proclaimed Libertarians do is embellish the power of State-sanctioned violence.
Not to defend Milei but he claims to be "morally libertarian, minarquist in practice".

Honestly the dude is very hypocritical, but it seems his whole "ill fix inflation" campaign promise is being followed.

Steve Jobs was a fruitarian and refused to shower at one point in his life. Nikola Tesla was an obsessive-compulsive man with an aversion to round objects and an obsession with the number 3. Isaac Newton devoted a considerable amount of his life to the pointless endeavors of alchemy.

All of these men accomplished great things and contributed immensely to society.

I thought Greece was the prime example of the failures of austerity measures. But according to @Rod1 other South American nations have been able to implement it to good effect so this would hardly be a test case--I was not previously aware of that.
Greece main issue is that they don't have control over their own currency and getting a correction going is harder as a result.

What claim? that Latin America doesn't has a chronic inflation issue?

Argentina and Venezuela are just a beast on their own.

Top 3 countries

Venezuela 200%
Argentina 93%
Colombia 5%

Yeah in most of Latin America considers anything between 5-10% high inflation and anything over 10% a fucking disaster.

I think Greece is hard to read because of the GFC and then Covid, they were sandwiched in the middle of that. But I don't know enough of either country's debt or approach to the debt crisis to speak more broadly than that.

I don't much about south america's economic policy but just read this article.

Im willing to be my Sherdog account on that one. Would you be able to bet your account on the other ones?

Again, you don't have any idea how Peronism works, its literally a movement founded by a Fascist guy, they literally have professional protesters as shock groups.

Not to defend Milei but he claims to be "morally libertarian, minarquist in practice".

Honestly the dude is very hypocritical, but it seems his whole "ill fix inflation" campaign promise is being followed.

Your willingness to bet whatever is not an assurance that Milei will relinquish power. That is an assumption, plain and simple. You know who are also saying elections will be "free and fair" from this year on? Trump supporters. And I didnt bring up any of those other Countries.

Again, just further justification for the concentration of the monopoly of violence. My point is that it goes against the foundation idea of Libertarianism. It is the opposite of Libertarianism. Milei is doing this because there is already massive protest from the working class because his measures are already making things harder for them than they already were, and it appears he knew that would happen. Tyrants always hide behind the threat of tyranny, or the idea that they will be usurped.

We can reserve judgment on whether or not his economic measures will be successful because it is too soon for full assessment, but let's not behave as if the future is certain and wear rose-colored glasses about the guy. So far, he has made things worse, and concentrated power. He said this will be for the better in the long run. Wr will see if he is accurate or if he is just another big talking wannabe dictator.

Greece main issue is that they don't have control over their own currency and getting a correction going is harder as a result.

What claim? that Latin America doesn't has a chronic inflation issue?

Argentina and Venezuela are just a beast on their own.

Top 3 countries

Venezuela 200%
Argentina 93%
Colombia 5%

Yeah in most of Latin America considers anything between 5-10% high inflation and anything over 10% a fucking disaster.
No, I'm talking about your claim that several other South American nations have seen long term benefits following severe austerity measures.

Steve Jobs was a fruitarian and refused to shower at one point in his life. Nikola Tesla was an obsessive-compulsive man with an aversion to round objects and an obsession with the number 3. Isaac Newton devoted a considerable amount of his life to the pointless endeavors of alchemy.

All of these men accomplished great things and contributed immensely to society.

Would you like a list of ones who were geniuses on paper and made the world considerably worse, or killed or helped to kill hundreds/thousands/millions of people?

I think Greece is hard to read because of the GFC and then Covid, they were sandwiched in the middle of that. But I don't know enough of either country's debt or approach to the debt crisis to speak more broadly than that.

I don't much about south america's economic policy but just read this article.
"Will lead to" is not a presentation of actual results to date.

He only refused to shower because he was so anti-social he used his stink to bully his employer into letting him work at night when no one else was there. In other words, he was just an arsehole. I don't agree that Steve Jobs was worth a fuck in this universe or any other.

Last edited:
He only refused to shower because he was so anti-social he had to bully his employer into letting him work at night when no one else was there. In other words, he was just an arsehole. I don't agree that Steve Jobs is worth a fuck in this universe or any other.

Apple is arguably one of the worst US Companies right now with anti-competitive practices. Something Jobs pushed while he was still alive.

Back