International Milei's Neoliberal "Shock Therapy" is Devastating Argentina

No, I'm talking about your claim that several other South American nations have seen long term benefits following severe austerity measures.

Well the long term benefits were having a stable currency, i think its well-documented how chronic inflation is bad and hurts the poorest the most.

Take into account that what people consider "austerity" in Latin America is basically "don't print money to pay for government" Milei's government is not "austerity" when compared to Latin America in general, its only "austerity" when compared to previous governments.

IMF will come and "save the day".
And every Argentinian will wake up with tens of thousands of dollars in debt.
And all of Argentine's natural resources will be auctioned off to transnational corps.

We've seen this happen too many times.

Apple is arguably one of the worst US Companies right now with anti-competitive practices. Something Jobs pushed while he was still alive.
and it spies on the consumers and sells their data to other corps and forks the data over to the FBI/CIA/NSA free of charge...

And it deliberately slows down older iPhone versions with software "updates", so that sheeple have to buy newer versions.

Your willingness to bet whatever is not an assurance that Milei will relinquish power. That is an assumption, plain and simple. You know who are also saying elections will be "free and fair" from this year on? Trump supporters. And I didnt bring up any of those other Countries.
Are we moving the goalposts here? i never said Milei will accept the results of the hypothetical election, i said he will not become a dictator. And no, its not assumption, its an educated prediction, Milei isn't doing any of the moves, (nor has the power to in the first place) to concentrate power in his persona.

If Milei doesn't relinquishes power, he will dragged out of the Pink House, just like Bolsonaro was. There is zero chance that Milei becomes a dictator.

Again, just further justification for the concentration of the monopoly of violence. My point is that it goes against the foundation idea of Libertarianism. It is the opposite of Libertarianism. Milei is doing this because there is already massive protest from the working class because his measures are already making things harder for them than they already were, and it appears he knew that would happen. Tyrants always hide behind the threat of tyranny, or the idea that they will be usurped.
What's bad about government having a monopoly on violence? very democratic of you to support political shock groups right of political violence, totally not fascist at all.

We can reserve judgment on whether or not his economic measures will be successful because it is too soon for full assessment, but let's not behave as if the future is certain and wear rose-colored glasses about the guy.
I don't have rose-colored glasses, the dude said he would fix inflation and its trying, that's my only assesment.

So far, he has made things worse, and concentrated power. He said this will be for the better in the long run. Wr will see if he is accurate or if he is just another big talking wannabe dictator.
"making things worse" that's debatable and there has been no concentration of power so far, just an statement that illegal protests will be prosecuted.

IMF will come and "save the day".
And every Argentinian will wake up with tens of thousands of dollars in debt.
And all of Argentine's natural resources will be auctioned off to transnational corps.

We've seen this happen too many times.
Argentina is already billions in debt.

Are we moving the goalposts here? i never said Milei will accept the results of the hypothetical election, i said he will not become a dictator. And no, its not assumption, its an educated prediction, Milei isn't doing any of the moves, (nor has the power to in the first place) to concentrate power in his persona.

If Milei doesn't relinquishes power, he will dragged out of the Pink House, just like Bolsonaro was. There is zero chance that Milei becomes a dictator.

What's bad about government having a monopoly on violence? very democratic of you to support political shock groups right of political violence, totally not fascist at all.

I don't have rose-colored glasses, the dude said he would fix inflation and its trying, that's my only assesment.

"making things worse" that's debatable and there has been no concentration of power so far, just an statement that illegal protests will be prosecuted.

Well, kinda moving the goalposts. My contention was that Milei will not likely voluntarily relinquish power. You claimed there will be free and fair elections. That seems to be the root of our disagreement because I wouldn't put it past that lunatic to attempt to undermine the results of any election where he loses. You are now saying that even if he does, he wont be allowed to unlawfully retain power. That's a little different than the suggestion that elections will go smoothly. I sincerely hope Argentina doesnt have to go through what Brazil did to be rid of him on that scenario, though I'm sure there is a luxury Miami apartment waiting for him right beside Jairo. Lol Pueden beber cafe con leche en las mañanas.

I'm not against the Government having a monopoly on violence, but that's different than a singular defense entity that answers directly to the President. With Milei's changes, along with the purge of the General, the Army is essentially in command of internal security. I don't find that very convincing that there is a greater element of freedom or security when combined with the anti-protest measures. It gives a more distinct "misbehave and you will be crushed" vibe.

But we will see what his economic policies lead to.

He only refused to shower because he was so anti-social he used his stink to bully his employer into letting him work at night when no one else was there. In other words, he was just an arsehole. I don't agree that Steve Jobs was worth a fuck in this universe or any other.

Apple is arguably one of the worst US Companies right now with anti-competitive practices. Something Jobs pushed while he was still alive.

Steve Jobs was an asshole and as a web/mobile developer, I despise the monopolistic practices of Apple. But Jobs was a huge innovator in the home computing (introduced typography to home computers) and the smart phone market.

What's your point? IMF already loaned billions to Argentina.
They will loan more.
Argentine "needs" that like a final nail in the coffin.

They will loan more.

No, Mileil is just likely to finally engage in global trade. The Peronists were isolationist in their ideology, except when it came to taking on debt. If Mileil agrees to more IMF money, it will be eased with the promise of access to resources in compensation, and bolstering of power for his preferred class of people. And with the social programs gutted, the working class will be in the mines with little political leverage and anti-protest measures that will put them in front of the actual Army.

How can you take anybody serious when they decide to type that and press post?
I'm sorry that you don't know the definitions of words, and people using words as they are defined, upsets you. That must be a tough reality to experience.
Milei, like OP, is a clueless clown. He will make everything worse. He makes Trump look clever.
Oh, so you agree with me completely, you just decided to be an abrasive ass-hat because someone used words correctly? How odd. Take your lithium homie.

"Will lead to" is not a presentation of actual results to date.
It's a fairly in depth, albeit short, piece. I don't know the politicians or the history but it seems to be a decent analysis of the economic factors in several different countries.

I'm sorry that you don't know the definitions of words, and people using words as they are defined, upsets you. That must be a tough reality to experience.
"Neoliberal capitalist demon" is like Whippy-level but reversed.

I don't know enough about this situation to comment, but generally, if you consider capitalism to be an invention, it is the greatest one we've ever come up with.

"Neoliberal capitalist demon" is like Whippy-level but reversed.
You can choose to explain the logic, but likely won't. I don't know why you and that weirdo got upset about proper use of the words neoliberal and capitalist.
I don't know enough about this situation to comment, but generally, if you consider capitalism to be an invention, it is the greatest one we've ever come up with.
It was better than what had preceded it - feudalism. That's all.

You can choose to explain the logic, but likely won't. I don't know why you and that weirdo got upset about proper use of the words neoliberal and capitalist.

It was better than what had preceded it - feudalism. That's all.
The second sentence in my post explains why "capitalist demon" is wrong. Demon is the particular word that is off-putting to normal people. Of course I know you're using it figuratively (though there have been WRers who claimed that Obama and Clinton were literal demons), but even that is wrong. Capitalism is awesome. I think your issue is conflating support for markets with a lack of safety nets, regs, and even common ownership, but they are compatible with and in some cases necessary for a market-based economy.

No, Mileil is just likely to finally engage in global trade. The Peronists were isolationist in their ideology, except when it came to taking on debt. If Mileil agrees to more IMF money, it will be eased with the promise of access to resources in compensation, and bolstering of power for his preferred class of people. And with the social programs gutted, the working class will be in the mines with little political leverage and anti-protest measures that will put them in front of the actual Army.
Engage in "global trade"?
You mean selling off Argentine's natural resources to transnational corporations, for "pennies on the dollar"?
Yes, that's the idea.

They will loan more.

No, they won't at best they will renew the credit so that Argentina doesn't collapses.

Back