Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

my base, Camp Alamo, was a salute base for some reason too, although we were completely inside an ANA base as their boot camp drill instructors. Our LTC was the base mayor cell commander so he made it salute...

which was funny, b/c we had about 100 marines there too, and they just blatantly said 'f that' we don't do that. So we had to still salute their 1LT and CPT, and they'd just literally laugh in our faces....

good times

One of the COPs on the loop I would have to take from Khandhar to my COP literally had the "COP name, unit, We Salute Here" on the T-wall in front of where you landed.

One of the COPs on the loop I would have to take from Khandhar to my COP literally had the "COP name, unit, We Salute Here" on the T-wall in front of where you landed.
we also had to wear eyepro at all times, and our weapon had to be at the low ready and couldn't be slung.....

like word? so it's a base where we're green/no mag even in, salute, yet we have to wear eyepro all day and be at the low ready???

wtf

oh ya, no shaded eyepro either. had to be certain of uniformity, so only basic issued clear....of course the CSM was wearing Amber when he issued that deman, but I digress

we also had to wear eyepro at all times, and our weapon had to be at the low ready and couldn't be slung.....

like word? so it's a base where we're green/no mag even in, salute, yet we have to wear eyepro all day and be at the low ready???

wtf

oh ya, no shaded eyepro either. had to be certain of uniformity, so only basic issued clear....of course the CSM was wearing Amber when he issued that deman, but I digress

I don't recall many Army centric places that didn't have a hard on for low ready. Even when I literally proved I could employ a M4 quicker off my back than a fat ass CSM could draw his 9mm off hip.

Clearing weapons for anything other than cleaning is a huge pet peeve of mine, dumb for some many reasons. Hypothetically, I kept one in tube pretty much no matter what.

CSMs seemed to love wearing amber even though it is not approved and things like half jackets which aren't approved for a legitimate reason.

I was big on just wearing clear on patrols, but not for fobbiting or coppiting

How many of you Sailors and Marines have crossed the line? I'd like to hear how you became a Shellback.

@oldshadow, you got any stories?

Excuse my ignorance to this terminology but this is the post that lost me. And everyone that replied to the idea of his post confused the hell out of me.

What is "crossed the line"?
What is "Shellback"?

Excuse my ignorance to this terminology but this is the post that lost me. And everyone that replied to the idea of his post confused the hell out of me.

What is "crossed the line"?
What is "Shellback"?
The first time you cross the equator.

The first time you cross the equator.

And the Corps has pretty much put the kibosh on recognizing it since like 98 or so. I'm amazed that someone got it in 2000

Always surprised me to find out that the Corps was ahead of the Army on being against "hazing" stuff.

And the Corps has pretty much put the kibosh on recognizing it since like 98 or so. I'm amazed that someone got it in 2000

Always surprised me to find out that the Corps was ahead of the Army on being against "hazing" stuff.
Yeah I never knew anyone who actually did it who was on a MEU float.

Yeah I never knew anyone who actually did it who was on a MEU float.

They literally, well I don't know for certain except we were close as fuck, avoided crossing the latitude line in 98.

My guide and other Sgt's with some salt did it in like 95 I think.

you put in for stabilization a bunch of times?

how'd you swing Lejuene for 9 consecutive years?

How many of you Sailors and Marines have crossed the line? I'd like to hear how you became a Shellback.

@oldshadow, you got any stories?
I used to have a shellback card...I tried to find it today....more than likely lost it years ago. Your post reminded that I had one. MEU.

Canadian military.

And I'm not providing any other info.

Portuguese Infantry

Soldier in Comandos and Special Ops, 2007-2011.
Had the honor and priviledge to serve alongside some pretty fkin badass dudes ... most miserable but also the most awesome moments of my life.
Had to quit my military career dued to serious health problems with my parents and i still havent "recovered" from that blow .... the fact that i miss it and loved it so much still haunts me till this day.
Its good to see you guys here,
Cheers all

Did he? I saw him not so long ago at Applebees... probably a month or so ago.
8b86e52a53414ab1d8b5bc4d3462d9f5.jpg

Yeah... he's an interesting dude. I used to have a few hours between classes when I was going to Coastal, so I would go and pound a few beers at Applebees. He would come in just about every day and crush a few sweet tea's before going back outside and doing his craziness on the corner. We would chat for a bit... very hill-billy, but seemed like a nice guy.

As for the death rumor... I can't find a single source saying that he had died. I even looked up his real name, Robert Mattocks, and went through the obituaries and wasn't able to find anything. He got hit by a car in 2013 but it was just minor injuries.

Yeah... he's an interesting dude. I used to have a few hours between classes when I was going to Coastal, so I would go and pound a few beers at Applebees. He would come in just about every day and crush a few sweet tea's before going back outside and doing his craziness on the corner. We would chat for a bit... very hill-billy, but seemed like a nice guy.

As for the death rumor... I can't find a single source saying that he had died. I even looked up his real name, Robert Mattocks, and went through the obituaries and wasn't able to find anything. He got hit by a car in 2013 but it was just minor injuries.
Looks like my usually reliable source about his possible death was wrong then. How'd you find out his real name?
He used to be a guest host at Party Zone all the time. I wonder if he still is. One of my friends also saw him singing in the mall once.

Looks like my usually reliable source about his possible death was wrong then. How'd you find out his real name?
He used to be a guest host at Party Zone all the time. I wonder if he still is. One of my friends also saw him singing in the mall once.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Jacksonville-Ninja-Radio--238434191000/

Also, as I said earlier, I used to booze it up at the Applebees on Western and Marine Blvd and he would come in to get some tea before going back out to the corner. We would chat... some old SgtMaj used to sit in there as well as just get smashed almost every single week day. haha It was a good way to kill a few hours.

Back