[Military]Your favorite Duty Station(s)

Not counting deployments and RCAX, I spent all of my time at Lejeune. It was okay I guess.

Exact same story... 8.5 years on that fucking shithole! haha But better than some of the Army forts... Ft. Pickett and Ft. Stewart were godawful places which make Lejeune look like paradise.

Is that Castle AFB? That's where I was born! Now the shell of it just sits there....

Were you born on base, in Atwater or Merced? Atwater was a shitty little town.

I thought they kept the air museum there. Anyway, it was my first assignment and for the most part I had some good friends there and we did a lot so it was good.

I was born in Merced on base for like $18, my mom always loves to remind me I was a discount baby. Now I work for the National Park Service, so I always get to tell people that I was born in the gateway to Yosemite. I don't recall when my father left but he subsequently became an officer for the Oakland PD before leaving CA back to NY. From what I've been told it was a big base in its hayday so I doubt you knew him, but who knows!?

Keesler AFB.

It was the only place I was ever stationed but the area was nice and close to NOLA and Pensacola.

Im sad so many hate my home state of NC.

NC is beautiful (the west part by Tennessee). My gripe was I joined to see the world and if I had to stay stateside I would have preferred to be in SoCal because I've never lived in that type of environment. The NC coast isn't bad during the summer, but during the winter it's cold, rains every day and there's nothing to do.

Dug this out last night. Holy Crap what a long ass time ago.

picture.php

That's a small ass platoon lol

I met my ship (USS Tarawa) in Bremerton in dry dock in 99 and it was brought back to San Diego when dry docks were completed. Nav Stat 32nd and San Diego was way better than Bremerton and Seattle.

As far as ports, loved Townsville Australia and Phuket Thailand. Was also fond of Seychelles as well.

Ft. Lewis Washington was meh, but i enjoy Seattle which was 45min away

I grew up in ft lewis, ft bliss, ft Stewart, ft Buchanan, mainz-kastel , and whatever the army base near Monterrey, ca is lol

I was born in Merced on base for like $18, my mom always loves to remind me I was a discount baby. Now I work for the National Park Service, so I always get to tell people that I was born in the gateway to Yosemite. I don't recall when my father left but he subsequently became an officer for the Oakland PD before leaving CA back to NY. From what I've been told it was a big base in its hayday so I doubt you knew him, but who knows!?

Yeah it was a B-52 and KC-135 training base so it was big. When I would drive in to base each morning form Merced a giant cloud of black smoke would hang over the area from when the jets took off. B-52s have 8 engines, the KC's had 4 and for some reason they put out a lot of black smoke (unlike airliners).

Anyway, it was a really unique place to live with all the orchards, and huge never ending crop fields and snow capped mountains.

NC is beautiful (the west part by Tennessee). My gripe was I joined to see the world and if I had to stay stateside I would have preferred to be in SoCal because I've never lived in that type of environment. The NC coast isn't bad during the summer, but during the winter it's cold, rains every day and there's nothing to do.

I figured the proximity to the beach would have been appealing to many but if the base and the town suck then I get it. Been there, done that.

In the AF we had Dream Sheets. I put in sweet places like Hawaii (EVERYONE must have done the same), Florida, NC but I didn't even come close. At least I didn't end up in Greenland or Turkey.

NAB Coronado for it's close proximity to San Diego. I also had a lot of fun at Sheppard AFB and Travis AFB. Air Force chicks apparently have an affinity for former Marines.

I saw one drunk ass Marine who actually stomached eating the banana. Perhaps the worst thing I ever saw while in the Corps.

That Devil Dog had the constitution of a billy goat or else he was Force Recon.

Back