MNN (Seth Rogen, James Franco to Assassinate Kim Jong-un in THE INTERVIEW Trailer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Emma Watson and Miles Teller May Go Musical for LA LA LAND

Emma-Watson-Miles-Teller-Dragonlord.jpg

Director Damien Chazelle—whose dark music-centric drama Whiplash drew raves at Sundance earlier this year—is putting together his next project. Whiplash, a film about the relationship between aspiring jazz drummer (Miles Teller) and his ruthless instructor (J.K. Simmons), marked Chazelle’s feature debut, and it appears that he wants to stay in the music realm for his follow-up. The Wrap reports that Miles Teller is in early talks to reteam with Chazelle on the musical La La Land, with Emma Watson in talks to tackle the female lead. The story follows a lonely, aspiring actress and a cocky, charismatic jazz pianist who fall in love in Los Angeles. However, they are soon faced with the stiff challenge of navigating a relationship in the cutthroat climate of L.A.

La La Land is described as a song-and-dance romance about “big dreams, the big city, and the kind of love that makes life feel like a musical.” Lionsgate is producing the pic, which was also written by Chazelle. The contemporary musical, which almost feels reminiscent of (500) Days of Summer, is certainly an ambitious project, but Chazelle is coming off big buzz from Whiplash, which opens in theaters on October 10th. Teller is currently filming The Fantastic Four, while Watson is in production on the thriller Regression. La La Land isn’t expected to start production until February 2015.

Emma Watson and Miles Teller in Talks for Damien Chazelle's Musical LA LA LAND

Daniel Dae Kim Joins THE DIVERGENT SERIES: INSURGENT

Daniel-Dae-Kim-Insurgent-Dragonlord.jpg

Lost actor Daniel Dae Kim is set to board Summit’s The Divergent Series: Insurgent, the sequel to Divergent starring Shailene Woodley and Theo James. Octavia Spencer, Jonny Weston and Suki Waterhouse recently joined the cast, with Jai Courtney, Miles Teller and Ansel Elgort also onboard to reprise their roles. Kim will play Jack Kang in the pic. The film will be directed by Robert Schwentke from a screenplay by Brian Duffield and Akiva Goldsman.

Insurgent will be released on March 20. The third book, Allegiant, will be split into two films that are slated for release on March 18, 2016 and March 24, 2017, respectively. Divergent opened this past March and has grossed $267 million worldwide. Kim most recently wrapped his fourth season on CBS’ Hawaii Five-O and his other past credits include Spider-Man 2 and The Hulk.

Daniel Dae Kim Joins Shailene Woodley in THE DIVERGENT SERIES: INSURGENT

First Image from Michael Mann's CYBER Starring Chris Hemsworth

Little has been heard about Michael Mann’s international heist-thriller Cyber (possibly retitled to Blackhat), save from star Chris Hemsworth himself. The first image from Cyber has been released and features Hemsworth and who appears to be his co-star Holt McCallany. Hemsworth plays a man who’s currently in prison for a cyber crime, and is offered a deal to help bring down a criminal who used his code to commit cyber-theft. The heist-thriller will span the globe going from Chicago to Kuala Lumpur to Hong Kong and Jakarta. Also starring Viola Davis, Archie Kao, and William Mapother, the film is expected to open January 16, 2015.

2z55g89.jpg

First Image from Michael Mann’s CYBER Starring Chris Hemsworth; Possibly Retitled BLACKHAT

New THE IMITATION GAME Images Starring Benedict Cumberbatch

Genius mathematician and cryptographer Alan Turing saved many lives during World War II thanks to his deciphering of Nazi codes. Today, new images debuted from director Morten Tyldum’s Turing bioppic, The Imitation Game, which stars Benedict Cumberbatch in the lead role. Also appearing in the new images is Cumberbatch’s co-star, Keira Knightley, who plays a woman from a very conservative background who not only forms a complicated relationship with Turing but is there for him until the end. That end came not long after his own government convicted him on charges of “gross indecency” as a homosexual; he took his life two years later at the age of 41.

"[Turing's] an exceptional man,” says Cumberbatch, who prepped for the role by perfecting Turing’s stuttering cadences and studying his correspondence with the mother of his high school crush. “I hope this film does justice to this unsung hero." Also starring Mark Strong, Matthew Goode, Rory Kinnear, Charles Dance, Allen Leech, and Matthew Beard, the film opens November 21st.

2djvyf6.jpg

2m3ofvn.jpg

New THE IMITATION GAME Images Starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Keira Knightley

New UK Trailer for SEX TAPE Starring Jason Segel, Cameron Diaz

18osc2.jpg

A new UK trailer for Jake Kasdan’s crime drama/heist thriller Sex Tape is now online and … wait, what? This is supposed to be a comedy? Well that changes everything! The new trailer is startlingly short on laughs and chooses instead to focus on the heist angle of the couple who must retrieve their sexcapade from “the cloud” before all their friends and family watch it. Starring Jason Segel, Cameron Diaz, Rob Corddry, Ellie Kemper, and Rob Lowe, Sex Tape opens July 18th.

Synopsis: When Jay (Jason Segel) and Annie (Cameron Diaz) first got together, their romantic connection was intense – but ten years and two kids later, the flame of their love needs a spark. To kick things up a notch, they decide – why not? – to make a video of themselves trying out every position in The Joy of Sex in one marathon three-hour session. It seems like a great idea – until they discover that their most private video is no longer private. With their reputations on the line, they know they’re just one click away from being laid bare to the world… but as their race to reclaim their video leads to a night they’ll never forget, they’ll find that their video will expose even more than they bargained for.

New Trailer for SEX TAPE Starring Jason Segel and Cameron Diaz

Jenny Slate Drunk Dials in New Clip from OBVIOUS CHILD

Obvious-Child-Jenny-Slate-060514-Dragonlord.jpg

A24 Films has released a new Obvious Child clip from writer/director Gillian Robespierre’s well-received dark romantic comedy. The pic stars Jenny Slate (Saturday Night Live, Parks and Recreation) as a standup comedian who has an unexpected pregnancy and decides to get an abortion. The film has been receiving lots of praise, and this clip showcases Slate’s excellent sense of humor as her character goes on a drunk dialing spree and decides to leave a number of inappropriate/hilarious voicemails.

Writer/Director Gillian Robespierre handles the topic of Donna’s unwanted pregnancy with a refreshing matter-of-factness rarely seen onscreen. And with Donna, Slate and Robespierre have crafted a character for the ages – a female audiences will recognize, cheer for, and love. If you feel you need a refresher from the summer blockbusters over the next few weeks, keep palate cleansers like Obvious Child in mind. The film also stars Jake Lacy, Gaby Hoffmann, David Cross, Gabe Liedman, and Richard Kind. Obvious Child opens in select theaters on June 6th and expands across the country throughout June.

Jenny Slate Drunk Dials in New Clip from OBVIOUS CHILD

Bill Condon to Direct Disney's Live-Action BEAUTY AND THE BEAST

v6kawz.jpg

Since Disney's Maleficent picture is nearing $200 million worldwide in its first week of release, the studio is apparently anxious to move onto the next project. New reports confirm director Bill Condon will indeed head up the Beauty and the Beast live-action treatment, scripted by Evan Spiliotopoulos. If the new version is anything close to its animated forebear (which earned $375 million and a Best Picture Oscar nomination), then Disney is in for another payday.

Few details are available on the tone or plot of the script at the moment, or whether or not the film will even feature musical numbers. The fairy tale has been adapted numerous times over the years and appears in just as many variations from its original state. Condon’s had quite an array of directorial efforts, including biographical pictures Gods and Monsters, Kinsey, and The Fifth Estate; a Broadway musical adaptation in Dreamgirls; and commercial hits, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Parts 1 & 2.

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST Live-Action Film to be Directed by Bill Condon for Disney

MY LITTLE PONY Producer to Direct Sony's MEDUSA Animated Comedy

Press Release: Sony Pictures Animation today announced the acquisition of an original animated comedy feature pitch by Todd Alcott and Holly Golden entitled Medusa, which will tell an all-new story behind the infamous snake-headed lady from Greek mythology. Emmy

THE BEST OF ME Trailer with James Marsden, Michelle Monaghan

The-Best-of-Me-Marsden-Monaghan-060514-Dragonlord.jpg

Relativity has released the first The Best of Me trailer for the latest Nicholas Sparks adaptation. Directed by Michael Hoffman (The Emperor’s Club), the romantic drama centers on two teenagers from opposite sides of the tracks who fell in love in high school but were torn apart shortly thereafter, setting them on two radically different paths. They reconnect in their hometown twenty-five years later, where they’re forced to drum up the past and confront painful memories. James Marsden and Michelle Monaghan play the modern-day version of the pair, and if you’re familiar with any of the previous Sparks adaptations (and there are many), this trailer is nothing unexpected. There are longing looks, a passionate love rekindled, and shots of people crying presumably because someone died. The film also stars Luke Bracy, Lina Liberato, Caroline Goodall, and Gerald McRaney. The Best of Me opens in theaters on October 17th.

Synopsis: Based on the bestselling novel by acclaimed author Nicholas Sparks, The Best of Me tells the story of Dawson and Amanda, two former high school sweethearts who find themselves reunited after 20 years apart, when they return to their small town for the funeral of a beloved friend. Their bittersweet reunion reignites the love they’ve never forgotten, but soon they discover the forces that drove them apart twenty years ago live on, posing even more serious threats today. Spanning decades, this epic love story captures the enduring power of our first true love, and the wrenching choices we face when confronted with elusive second chances.

THE BEST OF ME Trailer Starring James Marsden, Michelle Monaghan

ARE YOU HERE Trailer Starring Owen Wilson, Zach Galifianakis

2nai5ba.jpg

Millennium has released the Are You Here trailer online. Matthew Weiner, who wrote for The Sopranos and created Mad Men, wrote the script for Are You Here over a decade ago — well before Mad Men took off — and spent years trying to convince Owen Wilson to play Steve, a womanizing weatherman who tries to help his unhinged best friend Ben (Zach Galifianakis) deal with his father’s death. Amy Poehler co-stars as Ben’s long-suffering sister, who balks when her spacey sibling inherits the family fortune.

Are You Here is the directorial debut of Weiner, and it stars Wilson, Galifianakis, and Poehler, so you would assume it would be a popular film. Instead, when the film premiered at TIFF, the word was nothing but negative. There were reportedly plenty of walkouts, and judging from this trailer, it’s not too difficult to see why. It looks like a hodgepodge that’s trying way too hard to be funny and heartwarming. However, Weiner tells EW that the theatrical cut is “actually quite a bit different than it was at Toronto.” So maybe it will be good? Are You Here debuts in theaters and on demand August 22nd.

First ARE YOU HERE Trailer Starring Owen Wilson, Zach Galifianakis

Nicolas Winding Refn Says I WALK WITH THE DEAD Is His Next Film

Nicolas-Winding-Refn-pour-le-prequel-de-MANIAC-COP.jpg

Back in March 2012, director Nicolas Winding Refn said his follow up to Drive would be the horror-thriller I Walk with the Dead starring Carey Mulligan. Not much is known about the project, but Refn said that he wanted to

Peyton Reed to Direct ANT-MAN; Adam McKay to Co-Write

Peyton-Reed-Ant-Man-Dragonlord.jpg

When Marvel's Ant-Man hits theaters July 17, 2015, director Peyton Reed will help shepherd the hero into the Marvel Cinematic Universe with a cast led by Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas, with writer Adam McKay contributing to the film's script. The film also stars Evangeline Lilly, Michael Pena, Corey Stoll and Patrick Wilson. Sources say that the single biggest thing Marvel is looking for is someone who can work with the talent already assembled.

Armed with the astonishing ability to shrink in scale but increase in strength, con-man Scott Lang (Rudd) must embrace his inner-hero and help his mentor, Dr. Hank Pym (Douglas), protect the secret behind his spectacular Ant-Man suit from a new generation of towering threats. Against seemingly insurmountable obstacles, Pym and Lang must plan and pull off a heist that will save the world.

Reed made his directorial debut with cheerleader comedy Bring It On. His second feature was the visually inventive 2003 musical Down with Love starring Ewan McGregor and Renee Zellweger. He went on to direct Vince Vaughn-Jennifer Aniston relationship comedy The Break-Up, which grossed more than $200 million worldwide. Reed most recently directed the Jim Carrey comedy Yes Man, which grossed $223 million worldwide.

It's Official: Peyton Reed to Direct ANT-MAN; Adam McKay to Work on Script

Director Andrew Stanton Reveals JOHN CARTER Sequel Logos

Andrew-Stanton-JohnCarter-Dragonlord-1.jpg

Studios launch potential franchise-starters every year in the hopes of spawning numerous sequels, spinoffs, and of course, plenty of merchandise. More often than not, these things fail to take off, but the ones that don

I liked John Carter, it was a fun movie

lol @ releasing sequel photos for one of the biggest bombs in cinematic history.

What could have been....?
$600M in lost revenue? lol

I liked John Carter, it was a fun movie

I didn't really like it and I honestly don't mind taylor Klttz(Sp?) but I hope they re-boot the story down the line.

I've never read the books but I wiki read things about it and wouldn't mind watching a more serious-toned story.

Neil deGrasse Tyson Names His Top Ten Favorite Sci-Fi Films

Neil-deGrasse-Tyson-600x200-Dragonlord.jpg

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951): The story was so strong and compelling that the film did not require heavy special effects or monsters or violence to be simultaneously hopeful and terrifying.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968): Perhaps the first film to be all about the discovery of alien intelligence yet not show what it looks like, knowing that our imagination could surely do a better job than Hollywood. In any case, it was a visual orgy of space travel and space exploration that we remain far from achieving, even 13 years after the 33 years-in-the-future it portrayed.

Planet of the Apes (1968): Saw this again recently and it held up over all these years in many important details. Had not appreciated when I first saw it. The hierarchy of apes that ran the planet, chimps were the academics, baboons were the soldiers, orangutans were the diplomats. An action-adventure movie that was an insightful mirror to our lives and our civilization.

The Terminator (1984): Deftly woven action, violence, sentient machines, a heroine and time travel. All stitched together in a tight and scarily plausible storyline. And, when you think about it, a perfect acting vehicle for Arnold Schwarzenegger, as a mostly mute terminator, whom many would rather look at than listen to.

The Quiet Earth (1985): Low budget, low distribution. One of many films that imagine for you what life might be like if you were the last person alive on Earth. In this case, the premise, the story, the casual science literacy of the main character, keeps the viewer in suspense the entire time, wondering what the hell happened and why.

Contact (1997): The second film that I know of that is all about contact with alien intelligence and yet does not offer you a glimpse of what they look like. Perhaps it

I'm interested in Tyson's list, especially the inclusion of The Island, which, I think gets way too much hate/underappreciated. Also his exclusion/honorable mention of Blade Runner, which I also think, was not and is not a film for everyone and gets mildly overhyped. I know for me, it took me a long long time to warm up to it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back