Movies MORTAL KOMBAT 2021 (Premieres April 23, 2021)

If you have seen MORTAL KOMBAT (2021), how would you rate it?

• Total voters
I had a triple header today: The original Mortal Kombat, the sequel Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, and the new Mortal Kombat. I played Mortal Kombat II on Super Nintendo and especially Mortal Kombat: Trilogy on N64 obsessively as a kid and the original films were rewatched endlessly in my youth. Rewatching them today, they're still a ton of fun. The first one is a solid (unacknowledged but obvious) remake of Enter the Dragon and the sequel - while it suffers from shitty effects, a bunch of character replacements, and an unwieldy script - is better than a lot of people give it credit for.

The new one, however, was almost unwatchable. The ancient Samurai shit, a pathetically lame Shang Tsung, an annoying and barely understandable Raiden, a child Liu Kang...there was just so much silly crap. Added to which, there wasn't even a tournament! And all the fight scenes were terrible.

The talent involved is very much in the C to D range and it showed in every frame. Everyone will be better served to just go back and (re)watch the originals. The Johnny Cage/Scorpion fight sequence from the original Mortal Kombat alone puts the new film to shame.
I'm curious on your thoughts of Annihilation, since you mentioned you enjoyed the new one the least.

I wish Baraka had made an appearance actually, thinking about it. Maybe one for the next movie.

Not sure if serious. If yes:
aw8r598.gif
He actually sold comics and had enthusiasm for the medium. Something the industry hasn't witnessed in close to two decades.

He actually sold comics and had enthusiasm for the medium. Something the industry hasn't witnessed in close to two decades.

I can agree that he sold comics, facts are facts. But I think his drawing style is atrocious. Also, his willingness to shamelessly rip off other IP (Roman-Namor, Warwolf-Sabretooth, Deadlock-Wolverine, Badrock-The Thing, Smash-Hulk, Troll-Wolverine/Beast) is something we should all judge. His approach to creating a character is going through an X-men encyclopedia and seeing which ones he didn't cover yet. When he covered them all, then he started combining them. Even bringing Deadpool, one of my favorite characters, to life, does not excuse him for all of that.

That said, my dislike for his "art" and his approach to creating a character should not come before letting other people enjoy what they choose to enjoy. So I apologize.

Finally watched it. Been a big fan since the first game I read reviews and heard bad things so I was expecting way worse. It was descent for the most part. Some bad cheesy lines abs randomness happening, I didn’t mind cole for the most of it some fatalities in a side story from the tournament is alright with me even though I want the tourney and Shao Khan. Watched a behind the scenes thing sub zero actor is a legit badass they had to tell him to fight slower he’s too fast for the camera.

Honestly, I think they should have hired me to direct and produce this movie. I have no experience with either whatsoever, but I still feel like I'd make the most glorious MK movie possible.

Still a 7/10. Action was really good and true to the games, humor was quality, some of the characters were pretty good and well acted, especially Kano and Kung Lao. Story was okay, but could obviously have been a lot better. I still really enjoyed it as a huge MK fan.

Cole Young wasn't as bad as I expected. The leaks said he'd be a failed boxer, which would have been a retarded choice, IMO, but I was glad he was actually a MMA fighter. Which was really a positive and in line with current culture. His character was generic, but not that bad and an obvious device to introduce the whole story and world building of MK.

Oh and the Reptilian was really cool too, IMO. It didn't really bother me it wasn't a ninjam bit it's also not certain that it's actually Reptile, because they gave it a different name.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think they should have hired me to direct and produce this movie. I have no experience with either whatsoever, but I still feel like I'd make the most glorious MK movie possible.
I mean, this was some commercial dweeb's very first feature. No way you could've done worse.

Wife and I enjoyed this movie. I was just waiting to see Scorpion do the screen jump into one side and come out the other. Didn't happen, but other moves of his were nice to see. Overall, I am looking forward to the sequel getting made.

Watching this now and about halfway through..

…they really cast nerdy business guy from The Dark Knight as Shang Tsung?

The dialogue is pretty bad and the acting is almost exclusively shit. The actor playing Sonya was great in the comedy series, Sirens, but she can’t play tough gal at all.

Kano sucks. Cole sucks. Raiden sucks. Kung Lao sucks. Liu Kang sucks. Tsung sucks.

Going to finish this but don’t see it improving at all.

Garbagesque, Joe.

***edit: finished, is terrible. Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Jax, and Kabal are the closest things to decent/good in this movie.

Last edited:
Back