Moving to Brazil on 05/06/2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
gerbil when i renew my visa do i really need that paper they stamped when i came in? i dont know if i still have it. i just brought my passport to SP. jake mckenzie told me the whole things really easy, but online it says i need proof or my return ticket and some other stuff, and i only have like 6 days left to do it. is that just internet people being overcautious about everything or are they gonna tell me to fuck off?

gerbil when i renew my visa do i really need that paper they stamped when i came in? i dont know if i still have it. i just brought my passport to SP. jake mckenzie told me the whole things really easy, but online it says i need proof or my return ticket and some other stuff, and i only have like 6 days left to do it. is that just internet people being overcautious about everything or are they gonna tell me to fuck off?

Well the guys that renewed it in the house took that piece of paper with them but I've never extended my visa so it's going to be difficult to address for me. If you go do it please tell us about the experience so we can be sure :D

Sorry I couldnt be more helpful

You need to fill out this form, and bring some stuff, like that entry paper and proof of your ticket and stuff. The police station is a fucking zoo, much like any kind of office in Brazil. I didn't have what I needed, and got lost for four hours riding the buses into jah knows where, so I am just going to overstay and pay the fine next time I come back instead of spending half the amount of the fine to go back to SP and torture myself for another day. Jake McKenzie told me its way easier in Rio though, but then again he lives in Rio and knows his way around/speaks fluent Portuguese, so hes a traitor anyway

you have to go to the federal police based at the international airport to do it in rio. i didn't need proof of return ticket but did need the entry card. however i am english, and they dont hate us as much as americans, saw americans having to give fingerprint and shit

(Post 1/2)

The past week has been full of rain and injuries. Everyone in the house wishes the sun would come out, if not to enjoy the good tourism, to at least dry our kimonos. Every inch of the house is covered with damp kimonos and on the off chance that the sun does seep through the clouds my house mates cover the laundry lines, trees and drying racks with clothes with the hope of having something that resembles dry.

In addition to the crummy weather, I hurt my back on Tuesday of last week. It doesn

(Post 2/2)

Have you ever been on the mat and then received the immediate and intense need to use the restroom? I had that urge this week and thankfully it was after my round of grappling so I wasn

Igor is wearing a red Pride shirt and Russia pants. AWESOME. Good blog. =)

Is there anyway you can give a particular example of someone taking the "hard way" v the "easy way." Im a blue belt and now I feel like this is something I could at least pay attention to. Thx!

Is there anyway you can give a particular example of someone taking the "hard way" v the "easy way." Im a blue belt and now I feel like this is something I could at least pay attention to. Thx!

Ok example,

Blue belt has a strong underhook and a clear pathway to the back. I see them start to make the transition to come out on the back and there is no resistance from their opponent. Rather than take the easy path to the back they throw themselves back into a sweep attempt that leaves them crushed under their opponent with no angle and they are flat on their back.

Just an example, not a specific person in mind or anything.

^^So it is more of a bad choice rather then trying techniques you are not solid with yet?

i mean you don't want us to play to our strengths all the time right?

^^So it is more of a bad choice rather then trying techniques you are not solid with yet?

i mean you don't want us to play to our strengths all the time right?

ok, I lied that example was about a specific person and that specific person was myself at a competition in Atlanta GA.

I dont expect you to play you're A game all the time and often I can tell when someone is trying to implement something new into their game. It's just that often as beginners when we have a mediocre level of success with one move it quickly becomes our "go to" move...basically success reinforces that behavior in our grappling game.

It is one of my biggest pet peeves to see white and blue belts go for straight Achilles locks...it even pisses me off more when they submit someone with it because then they think it's good and use that all the time. What happens 9 out of 10 times is they miss the ankle lock, the guy stands up and they just gave up 2 points and top position. Then they get frustrated that their game isnt evolving the way they want it to.

Now just for the record, I dont hate on Achilles locks, I hate on Achilles locks within the BJJ rules systems, specifically for the lower ranks. In no gi when you fail at the Achilles you have the heel hook and toe hold as well as the ability to reap the knee to stop them from standing up, or at least slow them down. The entry of the "reaping the knee" rule pretty much killed the effectiveness of the achilles lock as far as I'm concerned (in the BJJ rule system).

Ok that was a rant, sorry about that guys.

Hey Gerbil nice update. I see what you are talking about with the hard way vs the easy way. I'm going to keep that in mind when I train.

I like your baseball bat choke, I drilled it a few times and it does feel way more solid to finish!!!

Hey Gerbil nice update. I see what you are talking about with the hard way vs the easy way. I'm going to keep that in mind when I train.

Sadly I'm not sure that being aware of it will help LoL, it didnt help me. Then again there are some people that can just let go better than I can. My guess is if you just listen to what you're instructor says you'll have an easier time.

I like your baseball bat choke, I drilled it a few times and it does feel way more solid to finish!!!

is this something that you had used before and you're just drilling after I showed it? If so thanks for the compliment.

If this is the first time that you've seen the move and you're just feeling very successful after learning the submission from my video...well thank you for that compliment too.

wow.. i spent the last few days reading up on this thread and its amazing to see how much your life has changed since the beginning,
congrats on the brown belt and the engagement !
i'm still pretty new to jiujitsu but i hope that someday i have the opportunity to train in brazil
good luck on your path to becoming a black belt
ill be checking back for updates

Yo Gerbil... Just want to congratulate you on the high level of security you must have within yourself to rock that yellow ass gi! lol

Awesome post... Looking forward to next weeks'

(Post 1/2)

The sun is back! Although it has not been ideal weather, we have had a couple of fairly dry days and when I look at the extended weather forecast I see that we are supposed to have a full week of clear and warm weather.

I had a successful week on the mat considering that I'm still getting over my back being out of whack. My training partners, knowing that my back was sore, took it easy on me. It is always nice to be able to train even though you're injured, and having technical training partners that understand your situation is always a blessing. I believe that by the end of this week I should be up and going full speed again, so even though I'm not 100% I still didn

(post 2/2)

The Strike Force fights were on last night and as usual a group of us gathered around to watch them. Normally we go down to Rommel's bar to catch the fights but last night we decided to sit around in the living room and watch them online. Before the fights I had a serious craving for something sweet so I talked one of the guys into walking down to the bakery with me.

I don't typically keep anything sugar oriented in the house because I know if I see it, I'll pick it up and eat it. By having to walk 10 minutes for a snack my desire for sugar has to overcome my natural inclination to conserve energy (some call this laziness). Often times the energy conserving wins...but not on Saturday evening.

I had planned on buying a pack of M&Ms or maybe a Brazilian version of a Twinkie but when I arrived at the bakery I couldn’t find anything that interested me. We wandered around the few small isles as I tried to find something that struck my interest but it resulted in me doing laps around the bakery getting more and more frustrated...and then I saw it.

In case you didn’t know, there are times where I have trouble doing things in moderation. Saturday night was one of those occasions.

SAM_1888.jpg

In my defense they do not sell these cakes by the slice, you have to purchase the whole thing and they just looked so good. This particular cake was chocolate, coconut and some type of cr

1) That Igor fella is somebody I would never....EVER...want to piss off.

2) That pass to rear mount literally made me say oh my god. I think if someone did that to me there would be a free lapel choke in it for them because I would be in shock about how it happened.

3) Grappling with braces isn't too bad. I had to wrestle in HS for 1-2 months with both top and bottom braces. The only thing to look out for is a nasty crossface; that will tear your mouth up. If you're only having them for a few months then consider yourself lucky. Funny thing though: in a pinch, a teammate of mine used an orange slice as a mouthguard once and it worked like a charm. Food for thought.

Have fun with braces!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back