My first day in a boxing class from AKB/TaeKwonDo

Do you guys know if Everlast lost quality with the change in owners, so that the gloves Tyson worn in the 80s religiously are actually much better or is it more the case that rival companies have surpassed them?

They stopped making them in the USA a long time ago and have since outsourced the manufacturing to pakistan and China. Look at the tags inside to verify. As such, the quality has decreased drastically.

Still, since you’re a beginner and your hands haven’t been through years of abuse you’ll be fine using them for the time being. But if you see yourself sticking with boxing in the long run then you owe it to your hands to invest in a quality brand.

They stopped making them in the USA a long time ago and have since outsourced the manufacturing to pakistan and China. Look at the tags inside to verify. As such, the quality has decreased drastically.

Still, since you’re a beginner and your hands haven’t been through years of abuse you’ll be fine using them for the time being. But if you see yourself sticking with boxing in the long run then you owe it to your hands to invest in a quality brand.

And the instructor says that I'm strong.... I take that to mean power puncher. Bad news for Everlast:)

Mine are indeed made in Pakistan. LOL.

Yea they have a very big leather industry, so combine that with their insanely cheap labor and it’s easy to see why companies outsource there. Most of the time they use the same mold for all the gloves and just slap the companies label on it.

Yea they have a very big leather industry, so combine that with their insanely cheap labor and it’s easy to see why companies outsource there. Most of the time they use the same mold for all the gloves and just slap the companies label on it.

They sure smell like a leather jacket. I dont know if thats good or bad but at least honest

Maybe the description below is why they were always popular, despite poor durability:

Everlast

"Basically, they're in between "pillows" and the "puncher's gloves," which gives them a nice balance in terms of protection and punching power.

1. Some top fighters who routinely wear Everlast are Miguel Cotto, Andre Ward, Nonito Donaire, Deontay Wilder and Brandon Rios."
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...rent-brands-of-boxing-gloves-worn-by-the-pros

This is from an article reporting Conor Mcgregor choosing Everlast in his bid to KO Mayweather:

"There are a variety of boxing glove manufacturers with some pairs considered 'punchers' gloves which have less protective padding".

"The Everlast brand sits inbetween those and ones with more cushioning."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/conor-mcgregor-gloves-floyd-mayweather-11052764

He’s referring to the MX line of gloves which are pro fight gloves. They’re made in mexico and easily the highest quality of gloves they make, there’s really no comparison between these and the pair you purchased.

He’s referring to the MX line of gloves which are pro fight gloves. They’re made in mexico and easily the highest quality of gloves they make, there’s really no comparison between these and the pair you purchased.

But the pillow effect does not refer to the actual quality of the models. I wrote that mines were stiff to wear but VERY comfortable hitting as hard as I could on a heavy bag.

But the pillow effect does not refer to the actual quality of the models. I wrote that mines were stiff to wear but VERY comfortable hitting as hard as I could on a heavy bag.

My man, the foam used in those gloves is very cheap and probably feels awesome now, but will deteriorate quickly. It’s kinda good you’re starting with these, it’ll just make you appreciate the higher quality ones that much more.

Great gloves get better with use, bad gloves get worse with use.

Guys, here are my ITF TaeKwonDo gloves used in sparring. What Oz are these? I have been hit hard on the jaw with these in sparring, no headgear. _20171025_083227.JPG _20171025_083407.JPG .

Last edited:
Guys, here are my ITF TaeKwonDo gloves used in sparring. What Oz are these? I have been hit hard on the jaw with these in sparring, no headgear. View attachment 292027 View attachment 292029 .

I dont think anyone knows about those but the knuckle padding does look reasonably thick. It could be pillow-like, though, I have no idea what the quality is like.

Man.. Sparring in 160z Suck... You don't have the same snap in your shots. Especially the jab and hooks. I am going to request having 10z. I am willing to comprise contact level

Man.. Sparring in 160z Suck... You don't have the same snap in your shots. Especially the jab and hooks. I am going to request having 10z. I am willing to comprise contact level

If you have a food scale, put each glove on there and tell me what the actual weight is. Odds are they're not 16oz

There's plenty of snap if you do the punch correctly. Excess snap, even.

Stop taking shortcuts to soothe your ego and learn the actual details you're supposedly studying to learn in the first place.

This is why form is important.

There's plenty of snap if you do the punch correctly. Excess snap, even.

Stop taking shortcuts to soothe your ego and learn the actual details you're supposedly studying to learn in the first place.

This is why form is important.

I'm not making excuses. The sparring went fine but 160Z gloves are better for conditioning. I don't think they make sense for sparring.

I'm not making excuses. The sparring went fine but 160Z gloves are better for conditioning. I don't think they make sense for sparring.

They're good for sparring because 16oz gloves generally have more padding than their 10oz counterparts which are typically worn in pro fights. While sparring in 10oz gloves can be done, it's better to do so in a more controlled manner.

Now since you're with the beginner group, control is not something that you're expected to have mastered, hence the 16 oz gloves.

To answer your previous question as to how much I think your gloves weigh, I honestly couldn't tell you. I've seen them come in at 20oz and 12oz. Their quality control is all over the place, hence why myself and others tried to steer you away from the brand in the first place.

They're good for sparring because 16oz gloves generally have more padding than their 10oz counterparts which are typically worn in pro fights. While sparring in 10oz gloves can be done, it's better to do so in a more controlled manner.

Now since you're with the beginner group, control is not something that you're expected to have mastered, hence the 16 oz gloves.

To answer your previous question as to how much I think your gloves weigh, I honestly couldn't tell you. I've seen them come in at 20oz and 12oz. Their quality control is all over the place, hence why myself and others tried to steer you away from the brand in the first place.

For the 500th time, Ive done KB and boxing only sparring for 3 years! Against many pussies who don't want to get hit hard

Back